Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FastMan

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008

I hear the warranty is crap. Give you a hassle, then replace with rebuilds. So according to the buyer reviews I've been reading. If so, is a 5 year warranty really a benefit? Sounds more like a bad drive exchange than a warranty. People seem happier with WD on the service/support front. But they have no 32 cache drives. Oh,,, what to do,,, what to do. Samsung? Many DOA, but I hear it's a chip issue NA to Mac Pros. I hear Apple is shipping with 1TB Hitachis, but performance is not at the top of the heap.

So here I sit,,, bouncing back and forth with which drives I will buy to add to my MP 8800 yet to arrive. What are you guys sticking in there?

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I hear the warranty is crap. Give you a hassle, then replace with rebuilds.

Nobody gives you a new drive for your dead old one. You get a rebuilt-same-model drive. Seagate isn't the only one.

When your Mac has problems, Apple "refurbishes" your computer to fix it, you don't get a new one.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I hear the warranty is crap. Give you a hassle, then replace with rebuilds. So according to the buyer reviews I've been reading. If so, is a 5 year warranty really a benefit? Sounds more like a bad drive exchange than a warranty. People seem happier with WD on the service/support front. But they have no 32 cache drives. Oh,,, what to do,,, what to do. Samsung? Many DOA, but I hear it's a chip issue NA to Mac Pros. I hear Apple is shipping with 1TB Hitachis, but performance is not at the top of the heap.

So here I sit,,, bouncing back and forth with which drives I will buy to add to my MP 8800 yet to arrive. What are you guys sticking in there?

Completely depends on your situation. I am going to use the Hitachi Ultrastars. You are right about them not being the performance king, but they are very reliable and the MTBF of 1.2M hours and the 5 year warranty are nice "features" (of course there could be outliers to that MTBF measurement).

I do mostly photo and video work and prefer reliability to speed. I am going to compensate the drive's performance as best I can by getting more RAM.

Hickman

FastMan

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Brian and PodPacker, thanks for the input. Brian, I will be doing mostly video work too,,, first time on a Mac, not much puter knowledge, and first experience with digital video editing. Yikes. The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know. :D

Setting up this rig to initially produce a series of athletic instructional DVD's. I come into this with the athletic expertise, but wanting to do the entire project myself. Trying to set up my MP to best serve this purpose. As of now, not planning on starting off without RAID, but wondering if I need to rethink that. Need to learn more about it to decide. Currently leaning toward the Hitachi drives, via the process of elimination,,, either a couple of 750's or 1tb's,,, most likely the 1tb's.

Pod, I've been trying to decide between the same two as you. Not sure if I really need to go with the ultrastars, but as there's not much difference in price, expect I will go with them.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Nobody gives you a new drive for your dead old one. You get a rebuilt-same-model drive. Seagate isn't the only one.

I am surprised. Drives are generally pretty cheap these days.
I can't imagine they cost much to make. I would have thought
it'd be more expensive in many cases to fix a drive than simply
build a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.