Hard Drive Data Recovery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoldenAge, Nov 24, 2011.

1. GoldenAge, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

GoldenAge macrumors newbie

I currently have a brand new 13" Macbook Pro (with the i5) with a 14 day return policy sitting next to my 2006 Macbook...I was excited about my new laptop until I started to look into comparisons between the i5 and i7 which lead me to a lot of complaints of overheating. My old Mac has never let me down and as I type this it is sitting on a pillow which is the only time I ever hear the fan run loudly, which makes me worry that perhaps I am buying a lemon and would be better off building up the computer I have...Any thoughts would be welcomed, thanks!:)

2. mape2k, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

mape2k macrumors regular

Could you please reference to the complaints about the i5 vs. i7 in respect to overheating? The overheating issues are wildly exaggerated and are more a rumor than anything else!! The 2011 models are fine and have no consistent heat issues!
    What exactly makes you think you bought a lemon? Any stress tests failing? Is your laptop shutting down unexpectantly? Fans running crazy all the time (which could well be another issue with the SMC)?

As for your question old vs. new: With your 2006 model, do you feel like you need to upgrade? Your new 2011 model is probably 3x-4x faster than your 2006 model. I don't think an upgrade to the 2006 will bring you any significant speed improvement, except an SSD maybe.

Good thread about perceived heat issues with 2011 MBPs

3. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

If you don't want new software and your old Mac is serving you well, spend some little money to upgrade the machine, or not at all. Otherwise, get a new one and ebay or donate the old one.

I am using a 4yo Thinkpad X61 and have no need for a new one. I thought about more RAM and an SSD but again no need. The only part replaced was the battery, which I bought $35 from ebay. The machine is serving me well and I plan to use it until it dies.

"Snappy" computer is kinda a fun, but since I don't game, video edit, or photo edit, snappy computer does not mean a lot to me.

I ordered a MBP 13" last night to enter the Mac World. If it is a good machine like the Thinkpad, it will stay with me until its last day.

That how I use my dollars :)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

oh no, not another overheating thread... unless your MBP is shutting itself down , it's not overheating. What kind of temps are we talking anyways?

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Nope. It's another "My current macbook was fine but I bought a new one anyway and I don't know why" thread. :)

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

The only thing I've heard is people complain because they think their computer gets too hot. There is no overheating issue whatsoever with the i5 or i7.

They do get warm, but what computer doesn't?

7. GoldenAge thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your opinions!

My old computer isn't exactly fine, she needs a bit of attention, I bought an external DVD drive to override the fact that the drive went out a few years ago, I need a new battery, plus an external harddrive, and currently am using an external mouse, so I feel like it is more of a octopus than a laptop at the moment. When I started to add up the costs of repairs and upgrades it became apparent that a new macbook would be a better route to go considering the eventual software issues I may encounter.

I have had no troubles with my new computer, have barely gotten to know it!
    I was just looking for other peoples opinions on the overheating talk before my 14 day return policy is up. I really hope it is all rumours, because I love my old computer and it has been a real trooper considering the abuse it has taken!

I am glad to hear that the overheating worries are generally regarded as rumors, I don't have a lot of money to play with so was nervous about making a mistake.
    Thanks again for all your input! My mind is at ease!

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The fans will run louder when you put it on a pillow. The vents are in the back, by the hinge. If the pillow is close to or covering this area then it's not venting properly. Your new computer is much faster than your 2006 one, and should last you several years.

People are constantly worried about heat in their notebook computers. Get the gfxCardStatus app so that you can keep it on integrated graphics; it will run cooler. Some programs like Skype tend to force it to use discrete graphics, and that makes the machine run warmer. If you're looking at web pages with a lot of Flash content, it will also run warmer. That doesn't mean there's a problem with it. As others said, if it gets too hot it will shut down before causing damage.

9. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I think that the best thing most people can do after buying a new computer is to avoid forums like the plague; only return if you have a specific question. Otherwise you risk being infected by one of the myriad computer neuroses that proliferate online...

BTW, my base-model 13" MBP is the coolest portable Mac I have owned, so over-heating is not a universal problem. Of course, I'm not sticking a thermometer up its arse every five minutes to see if running Aperture makes it heat-up more than reading my e-mail...

10. GoldenAge thread starter macrumors newbie

Good advice I'm going to go enjoy my new computer instead of worrying!

That is great advice to go play with my computer, see what happens and not get wrapped up in too many rumors! Something new should really be fun not a worry!
    Now I can focus on the RAM and i5 vs i7 stuff now. My old computer can be put out to pasture with simple tasks like simply accounting :)
    How fun will it be to photo/film edit in highspeed now!

I actually think the aluminium is quite efficient in heat distribution (for pots, Airstreams and computers!) and if it gets warm it means all that heat is leaving the device, which is a good thing!

Thanks again, Happy Black Friday!

Congratulations by the way McEnjoy on your new mbp!

11. GTANJ macrumors member

Have to second this. I have had the late 2011 base-model 13" MBP for about 5 days now and I have given it extensive use. It never gets uncomfortably hot (in fact, it only gets semi-warm, never at an uncomfortable level). Also, the fan is only noticeable in a dead quiet room. So far loving this machine :D

12. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Happy to hear that. Mine will arrive on Monday :D

----------

Thanks. Enjoy you new toy :D

13. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I would wait on getting RAM until you have used it a bit; you may discover that 4GB is sufficient depending on how you use your MBP. If you can wait to upgrade you may be able to afford more RAM since prices seem to be coming down for 13" MBP RAM from online stores.

As far as i5 vs. i7 dual-core CPUs, generally speaking the speed gain is around 10%, more or less. Upgrading to an i7 costs an additional $300, or 25% of the MSRP. Is it worth $300 for a nominal increase in speed that you won't be able to perceive while using the MBP?

http://www.barefeats.com/ has earlier speed test comparisons of similar CPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if Barefeats posts results for the new MBP in the next month or so...

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Awesome advice. Forums are bad. I almost stopped liking a game because I spent too much time on the forums and started to be bothered by little things that I probably would never have noticed myself.

15. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

I disagree. Good or bad, depends on your ability to judge and how to use the thing. I found many helpful advices from many forums. You would agree that before the Internet and forum era, information would be much harder to obtain.

16. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I didn't say that forums are always "bad". I was alluding to the fact that some people tend to get swept-up by discussions where techies nit-pick the finer details of Macs to the possible detriment of casual users who would be perfectly happy with their Mac if they avoided those discussions.

Forums can be a great way to obtain more information or get help with a specific problem. I am merely suggesting that if you are happy with the way your Mac is currently working, you may be better-off avoiding online forums unless you have a particular need for perusing the discussions. At least be aware that these places are populated with folks who have a tendency to obsess over relatively minor details that many Mac users need not be concerned with...

17. GoldenAge thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm update, 2006 Macbook left the building last night!

Well so much for upgrading my 2006 macbook, the HD died yesterday, so happy I have a new one waiting! Less happy that I hadn't moved anything over yet, now to recover my data (hopefully) and then move on, always backing things up from now on!:(
    So maybe someone can help me, should I freeze my HD and run it? Should I spend the $89 and get Best Buy to do it up? Or should I get an enclosure and see what is there? Is there software I need to purchase to use the enclosure?:confused:
    So from my experience I am really glad I didn't choose to upgrade my old computer, there comes a time when you just need to move on!:)

18. MacBookBroLax macrumors newbie

MacBookBroLax

MacBook Pro

Yeah bro I did the same thing. I just received my MacBook Pro Intel Core i7 today. I love it. I can't wait for my new iMac to come. I should receive my new iMac this Wednesday. Can't wait!!!! Apple for life!

19. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You don't need special software to run the HD in an enclosure. It will be like an external USB drive.

Why would you freeze the HD?

20. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Bit over the top isn't it?

21. GoldenAge thread starter macrumors newbie

According to quite a few successful accounts, depending on the type of damage to the HD, if it is mechanical, when you freeze the HD the pieces contract and tighten allowing for a few final moments with your drive before it is really gone. At most it seems you get 20 min.
    It seems risky, if I remove the data with an enclosure or have it done by Best Buy I think I will try the freezing after just to see...
    Do you think all that Best Buy or any other recovery place will do is put the drive in an enclosure and extract it that way?

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This could easily be the case. $89 sounds to cheap for a real recovery.

Thanks for explaining the freezer solution :)

23. GoldenAge thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it seems wierd that recovery costs so much more at other places...
    Although a lot of people recommended Best Buy, I'm a bit of a do it myself person but don't want to mess this up...

24. GoldenAge thread starter macrumors newbie

So I got a enclosure today, hooked up my HD and my computer wasn't showing any sign of it. The light on the enclosure was on and I could hear sounds but there was no communication between the enclosure and the computer...does that mean my HD is really done and my things and really gone?:(

25. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, there are professional data recovery companies that can still make progress in such a situation. But their prices start at several hundreds of $$ and can easily go above $1k.

There is also software that can save some data, if just a small part of the HD is damaged. Does the HD sound normal, when you plug in the enclosure?