hard drive getting accessed for no reason..?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HBOC, Dec 14, 2009.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

So my internal HD on my MBP is getting accessed, but I have no programs open that would need to access it. It usually happens when the lid is closed and i haven't used my computer for a while. What could be causing this?

I am about to order either the Hitatchi 500Gb 7200RPM drive or the WD 640GB drive, so if it is the HD about to fail, hopefully it will happen AFTER i get my new drive.

Oh, the computer is a 2.5GHZ and is just over 14 months old. It is not a UMBP

2. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

3. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't know...actually it is a fujitsu 5400rpm 250GB.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There shouldn't be any access happening while it's sleeping. Do you have any USB devices connected? It's possible one of them is causing a wake from sleep, then immediately going back to sleep because the lid is closed. Take a look at system.log - it'll show if there was a wake/sleep and the cause.

5. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

ok i will do that. No there isn't anything plugged in to the computer. I unplug the firewire to my external when not in use for extended periods of time, and any USB peripherial i am not using, isn't plugged in.

6. siosdk macrumors newbie

I unplug the firewire to my external when not in use for extended periods of time, and any USB peripherial i am not using, isn't plugged in.