Hard Drive Integrity Checker?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rekhyt, Aug 24, 2011.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Is there a hard drive integrity checker that I can use on my Mac? Recently there has been some files disappearing (Interestingly in iTunes), and I'm not so sure of the extent of this problem yet. Perhaps it may have been an iTunes upgrade bug, but I'm not so sure.

What can I do to check the integrity of the hard drive and of all the files on my computer (to see if they are corrupt or not?)

Thanks in advance.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

First, make sure your system and iTunes are up-to-date. From the :apple: menu, select Software Uodate and follow the directions to install any available updates.

If you have Lion installed, startup while holding cmd-R. From the options, select Disk Utility.

Otherwise, startup on your machine's restore/install DVD. After selecting language, you will find Disk Utility in the list of utilities on the menu bar.

From the list on the left, select your HD Macintosh HD, unless you changed it). Now, click the First Aid tab. You can either click Verify, or Repair Disk (the latter will automatically repair any errors found).