Hard Drive Speed Debate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peloria, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Peloria macrumors newbie

Okay... I know this topic has been gone over several times, but I'm still having trouble deciding on which to get in a new 15", 2.8Ghz MBP - 5400/500GB, or 7200rpm/320GB (or 500, really).

I'll be using the machine largely for graphic design, but also for various other tasks as my main computer. I've heard the faster drive IS a noticeable difference, but it also drains battery life and runs hot. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on this anywhere. Is the 7200 worth it?

2. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Before Snow Leopard, I got my advertised 5 hours of battery life, and the heat is not that bad. Actually, the Toshiba drive in my old Dell (80GB 5400RPM) gets way hotter than the Hitachi 250GB 7200RPM in my MacBook Pro.

If you're just thinking that it may be too hot on your lap, then the hard drive is the least of your worries.

Get the 7200RPM. There is a difference.

3. Mr Dobey macrumors 6502

no questions

Graphic Design = Need 7200RPM or Solid State Disk performance. End thread.

4. Peloria thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses. One other thing...

The click/beep problem I've been hearing about with the 7200rpm stock drives... is this still an issue? I know Apple addressed it with a firmware release, but wasn't sure if the models shipping would still potentially have issues, or if that only occurred during the early summer MBPs that shipped.

I'm definitely thinking of going with the faster HD, but would hate to have issues just because I chose that one. Also, since it would be a BTO when purchasing from the Apple Store, I assume it would take longer to receive? How long did it take any of you to receive yours? (I'm wanting to receive it in about a week and a half or less)

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If there is a click/heat issue take it back to Apple and they will swap out your machine. It doesn't matter which you get, it is a user serviceable part anyway. /thread

6. Peloria thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... I just don't have an Apple store near me at all, so hoping to get a configuration that is least likely to have problems.

Does anyone know what model of hard drive (500GB, 7200rpm), they are currently shipping in MBPs?

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Toshiba most likely.

8. Peloria thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses, but I'm still a bit on the fence...

I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on this tonight, and though I'm pretty certain I WANT the 7200rpm, the possibility of it having issues is making me hesitate. Has anyone bought a MBP with the upgraded drive from Apple recently? And if so, are there noticeable problems?

9. Spudracer macrumors 6502

Yup, my 17" MBP was delivered about three weeks ago. I went the build to order route to get the anti-glare screen and 7200 RPM HDD. No beeps, clicks, pops, or whistles so far. I imagine the factory implemented the firmware fix for the hard drive a few months ago. This sucker is quiet and doesn't seem to get all that warm. I never hear the fan running.

10. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The Seagate 7200rpm 500 GB hard drive is pretty disappointing from what I hear. A lot of people recommend either the WD 320 GB 7200rpm drive or the WD 500 GB 5400rpm drive. Apparently te 500gb WD drive is almost as fast as the Seagate 7200rpm drive.

However, I've seen some benchmarks that show the new WD 640 GB 5400rpm drive to be about the same speed as their 320 GB 7200rpm.

I'd see if you can find some reliable benchmarks for that 640 GB drive and consider it. It *will* fit in most any laptop--it's a 9.5mm height drive. The 750 GB and 1 TB drives are 12.5 mm and may not fit (though some say they do in the Unibodies.

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...why don't you get the stock 5400 RPM HDD and buy/change a 7200 RPM HDD yourself...

That way, you get a new drive for less, if you have any of the issue, you have the stock drive to swap it back to for no down time and you get an external drive out of it with the stocker if you keep the 7200 HDD...

12. MackinIt macrumors newbie

I agree! or a SDD! That's what I'm planning.

13. Peloria thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like that is the route many people have gone. I presume it is fairly easy to swap out the drives? (and does Apple mind?)

Thinking this might be the best bet for me... can anyone recommend a good, stable 500gb/7200 drive I could put into it later?

14. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

As of right now, the 500GB WD Blue is the best, hands down.

It's almost as fast as the Black or whatever 7200 Seagate has, and it has none of the negatives (battery, noise, vibration, heat, etc).

15. waldemark macrumors newbie

Hi, where can I find this benchmarks? I really cannot decide if getting with the macbook pro 2.8 the 500/5400, the 320/7200 or the 500/7200 drive.
    SSd is nice, but too pricey

thanks
    waldemar

16. Peloria thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I saw most either go with the Seagate Momentus 7200.4, or the WD Blue. I either hear really great reviews of the Seagate, or really poor. Hmmm... hard choice.

Does the WD Blue improve significantly over the stock 500gb/5400 that ships with the MBP? I'm thinking of taking my chances replacing with the Seagate, and if it doesn't work out taking it back to BB or wherever.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Another vote for the Blue. Installed two and both without issue.

Now 7200's on the other hand, no matter the manufacture, are hit and miss.

18. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I made a tread with benchmarks comparing the two a few days ago. Do a search for the threads I've made. It should be my most recent.

19. waldemark macrumors newbie

I am sorry, I didnt find them.

I'd like to order the macbook pro 2.8 with the apple-BTO 500/5400 or 320/7200 or even 500/7200 drive. At the moment I dont like to fumble and put into other drives.

thanks
    waldemar