Hard drives? max size, and other question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MythicFrost, May 27, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hi, I have a 320GB hdd, and a 1 TB hdd, what's the "biggest" single hdd you can get? is it 2TB? (internal hdd)

My other question is, can I swap content from the 320 to the 1TB, so the 1TB is the primary hdd?

Kind Regards

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

As far as I know 2TB is as big as it gets right now. That would be the WD 2TB Green Drive.

You could use Carbon Clone Copy to copy the 320GB to the 1TB. Then just boot from the 1TB and do whatever you want with the 320GB.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yes, the biggest mainstream hard drive size currently available is 2TB. Yes, you can swap the contents from your 320GB drive to your 1TB drive although you would need to have at least 320GB in total free space to be able to swap things around (basically you'd have to be able to fit all your data onto the 1TB drive). If you mean you want to get a 2TB drive and move everything from your 1TB to the 2TB and everything from the 320GB to the 1TB then its very easy to do using the OS X Disk Utility.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If it were me, I'd keep the 320 GB drive as a dedicated boot drive, with the applications, library, etc. kept on that drive. And have the large drive used as your "Home" drive. Speeds things up nicely.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

That's what I used to have. However, it actually makes more sense to use the larger drive as a boot drive since the bigger the capacity, the bigger the data density and so the faster the data throughput. A good idea to maximise disk speeds (as suggested recently on here) is to use a large drive but then partition off the beginning of the disk (where it rotates faster and so data throughput is faster). Then use the rest of the disk as needed.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah but annoyingly they're 'energy saving'. In order to save the energy, they spin at 5900rpm instead of 7200rpm using the fact that the higher data density can counteract the slower speed. I'd bet they'd be amazingly fast if they were 7200rpm. I don't really care about how energy saving my Mac Pro is - I want the speed. If it were a laptop drive then I'd want to save energy but on my desk, na ah. I save enough energy elsewhere!

8. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Well, ok, if I boot from the 1TB and have a 2nd 2TB hd in there, and then the 320GB for whatever else, that's plenty for me...

TBH I don't know if there is any difference between certain hard drives, is the seagate 2TB better than the WD 2TB Green Drive?

Is either of them any better?

EDIT: Spanky Semi-Answered that question =) ty

Kind Regards

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

my comment is assuming he has more data than the 320 can hold, and that he doesn't want to buy another HDD right now. of course, using the 1TB as a boot drive with spanky's suggestion, along with the 2TB for data would work excellently.

10. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

So, how do I actually do this cloning thing? lol
    Any special steps, or should I be careful or what?

Kind Regards

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

download "CarbonCopyCloner" or "SuperDuper!". Those programs are pretty straightforward. And I know that you can use superduper for free if all you want to use it for is cloning.

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

CCC that I linked to above is fairly straight forward select a source and a target and hit Clone.

Attached Files:

• CCC.jpg
      CCC.jpg
      File size:
      238.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

The Seagate Barracuda LP drives (which I'm pretty sure is the only Seagate line that has 2TB right now) are the competitors to the Western Digital Green drives. Both models run at reduced RPM to save energy.

I'm think the biggest 7200 RPM drive you can get right now is the 1.5TB Seagate 7200.11.

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yup! CCC will even "update" the clone for you too. So if you change something and want those changes to be reflected in the clone unit you won't have to wait the full 2 hours for it to clone the entire thing again. I like CCC better than SuperDuper and both are free AFAIK.

YAY for free!!! :D

15. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

16. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Anyone know what stock drives are in an MP09?

I'm ordering a Mac Pro with a single 1 TB drive but I want to buy an identical one from a third party... the 640 GB drive is apparently a WD6400AAKS, but I can't find any info on the 1 TB stock drive...

17. Roy macrumors 6502

I have the original, plus the exact same one, with another one in the mail.

WDC WD1001FALS

[​IMG]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

Month end special, ends 5/31

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]Image Viewer

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Original Price: $119.99You Save: $25.00 $94.99

Free Shipping* [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    * Free shipping not available to AK, HI and PR.

18. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Thanks! Cool, I was hoping they were using the WD Black... but they want 3,240 SEK for an additional one, when I can buy the exact same drive for 1,250 SEK from pretty much any third party. I'm really not sure what kind of hat Apple is pulling their prices out of.

19. Roy macrumors 6502

Apple wants 3 times the price that you can buy the same HD for and Apple only warrants it for a year, unless you pay extra and get AppleCare and then it's only 3 years.

I wanted to see how the drive that came with my Mac Pro (I paid Apple extra to get the 1TB, rather than the standard 640HD) was as far as quietness and etc. Right off the bat, it was silent. I have 2 of these HD's in my Mac Pro and they are very quiet. I've ordered another one. And I get a 5 year warranty on these drives. Plus my Mac Pro is extremely quiet.

20. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I'll be getting the same machine (quad 2.66 w/ single 1 TB drive). I sure hope it's as silent as everyone says it is... for 3 years now I've put up with a Dell XPS700 that sounds like a vacuum cleaner at full blast. I hope the cheese-grater front on the Mac Pro doesn't act as a loudspeaker for fan and HD noise...

21. Roy macrumors 6502

The most noise I hear is from the ATI 4870 fan upon startup, just guessing about 5 to 7 seconds. On waking up from sleep and restart about 2 seconds. And this is not terribly loud. From what people where saying I though it would like a jet engine. As long as I don't turn off the computer and start it up again, let it go to sleep and then wake it up, then I don't hear the fan(s). But to me it's not a big issue. And I don't hear any loud noises from my optical drives when I use them. Of course I haven't been ripping and DVD's, but I've never done that - yet :)

All these years, I said my G4 was quite. And it still is. But my Mac Pro is even quiter. I've been extremely pleasured with my new Mac Pro.

22. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Keep in mind tho that Apple will NOT guarantee a specific drive brand and likely the model and make will change from batch to batch.

23. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Wise words ^^

24. Roy macrumors 6502

Definitely true, but every post that I've seen from people that say what their 1TB drive from Apple is, is this one: WDC WD1001FALS

25. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Mine came with the same model number.