Hard Drives randomly Disappear

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Jul 18, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

2 of my HDDs in the MDD will just disappear from the system, no icons on desktop, Disk Utility doesn't see them.

What can be the reason for this? One of the HDDs does random clicks like mad, but why would this make BOTH HDDs disappear?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

An easy and quick check would be to replace the ribbon cable. It wouldn't hurt to completely kill the noisy one, either(i.e at least pull the cable if not the power plug and cable).

Do they disappear while the computer is running? My experience is that killing any internal drive while the computer is running without unmounting will cause the computer to KP pretty much every time. I think this is more true with IDE drives, which-unlike SATA-have no provision for hot swapping.

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

In Leopard, it will click when running and booted. It will Simply disappear. In Tiger, It locks up the whole system.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is this only occurring after the new video card was installed?

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I really don't think there is any relation, The MDD hasn't been used for months prior to this card and when I went to boot it up yesterday to install the Driver it just sat at the apple screen with the spinner. put the old IDE HDD back in and it booted right up. It's on my list to get a Tempo SATA card

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The reason why I ask is that if the PSU is having internal issues then powering the new GPU and the HDDs may overload it and it can cause not enough power to hit the HDDs to run properly. I would try putting the old GPU in and seeing if the issue occurs still. Just a thought...

7. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

If it matters any, the HDDs will dismount once one starts clicking, once they are gone from the system they never click again......

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That sounds like a power issue to me!

9. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

This thing is meant to power a ADC Monitor but not a GPU? don;t make much sense

10. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

If the drive that's clicking has the OS then when that dies it is losing it's connection to the second disk.(no longer addressed by the system) i would replace the clicking drive

11. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

The OS Drives are on the back ATA100 bus. The drive that is clicking is the Music HDD on the ATA66 bus. Damn Maxtor HDDs! And just think, I used to have my mind set on maxtor HDDs

12. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

I still think that when the (music) drive fails it is taking the other drive on the bus with it because the system is unable to address the 2nd drive on the bus without rebooting( as BUNNSPECIAL said earlier!) If you remove the music drive all should be well

13. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Thanks for all the tips. I have the PowerMac powered off and letting it cool off after running all night. I will either replace the HDD or disconnect it.

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The ADC circuit is completely separate.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It sounds like your hard drive is dead. Is this your boot disc or for storage? Checking the SMART status is disc utility is a good predictor to see if a drive is failing.

Remove the clicking drive. See if the problem continues.

16. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I dunno? Maybe sticking your hard drives up with magnets was a bad idea :p (it does sounds like one of your HDDs have died)

17. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

LOL The drives are mount in the caddies. and it is a data drive clicking. It's either the 80GB Maxtor TiVo HDD or the 80GB Western Digital TiVo HDD I put in the system.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Haven't you mentioned problems with this TiVo drive before? It sounds like its toast Matt. Get your information off it if it's not too late and dump it.

If it's clicking, it's more than likely failing. If I remember you had this in your eMac and it caused problems as well.

Maxtor was bought by Seagate in the mid 2000's. For a while Seagate sold their products branded as Maxtor. I think they stopped doing that. When Maxtor made their own drives, they generally had the reputation of making cheap, low quality, low preforming drives with poor reliability.

19. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

The Tivo HDD i used in the eMac was a different drive.
    Funny, I find Seagate HDDs to be total garbage too.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Where are you getting all these TiVo hard drives?

I prefer Western Digital (and their other brands, like Hitachi) myself. The statistics shows Seagate currently has a substantially higher failure rate than other brands. But hard drives quickly becoming a thing of the past...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I had a couple of "TiVo" drives that worked flawlessly in a DVR for around 10 years. I think they are constantly powered, I wonder if power cycling leads to their demise.

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well, if you have multiple drives and then add a new GPU it may push it over the wattage allowed by the PSU. Since PSUs in the MDDs were notorious for issues, I would not be surprised if it isn't putting out full power capacity. Try replacing the potentially failing drives first and then look into PSU issues.

23. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I bought a couple of Series 2 TiVo's. The plan was to use these instead of VCRs to record my shows/movies. Little did I know these were completely useless without a subscription........

The CPU temps went up from 94F to 108F after the GPU install it has much more heat now....

24. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

As much as I would love to say it's the magnets, but I think it's a power issue. I have a USB Backup hard drive for my MBP. It's plugged into a powered USB Hub. If for some reason the wall power was to be disconnected, yet USB still connected, the power would be limited. I constantly have a keyboard, the hard drive, and iPod nano connected all at the same time. If the power was disconnected and the hard drive goes to turn on, it starts clicking and the motor sounds like it's trying to turn on, but doesn't have enough power to. The second I reconnect the external power, the hard drive turns on fine.

Anyway, the point is that with limited power, the hard drives may not be functioning correctly because the power to them may be limited because all the priority is going to that supped up new GPU.

25. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

They require a subscription? Mine worked without one I think, and I believe it was either a series 2 or 3 model.