Hard going from Samsung Screen rMBP to LG

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmjava, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jmjava macrumors newbie

I bought my wife a new 15" rMBP :apple: for her birthday! :D We brought home the new machine and set it up. The picture was absolutely amazing. Checked and it was a Samsung screen. ;) We then loaded the latest OS update, started the update process and got a gray screen during the restart.:( It froze with a plain gray screen before shutting down to install the update. I manually powered down and the install process finished. All was good. Went to bed and woke up and the darn thing would not power on.

My wife took it back to the authorized Apple reseller (not Apple Store) and they simply gave her a new machine after the in store tech tried to power on the first machine with no luck. We set up the replacement (new in box) last evening and I immediately noticed the difference in the screen depth of color and general pop to the images. The screen is not as glossy as the Samsung. More of a matte look. I checked and sure enough it is an LG.:eek:

Is there anything that we can do? :confused: Or are we stuck with the LG screen? I do understand that Apple needs to be able to competatively source their components, but it would seem that quality control would have rejected something as significant as a screen if it did not look the same.

I am disappointed to say the least. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Skullbussa macrumors member

Tell them the screen on this laptop is not as good as the one it replaced. If there truly is a difference in the quality of the picture between the two displays (is there?? Or are you just too focused on Samsung vs. LG?) then bring in your laptop and hold it next to one of the Samsung laptops in the store and tell them you feel your display is defective in comparison and you want an equal replacement for your original laptop, not an inferior substitution.

You're still in your return window so if they do not replace it for you just return your laptop and purchase another from another salesperson or another store. They really do not have a choice in this matter.

3. Jinzen macrumors 6502

The LG screen is actually better than the Samsung in every way except Image Persistence.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Can you elaborate on your comment? I have read otherwise here in the forums

5. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

ditto

6. glhiii macrumors regular

My LG Screen

I have an rMBP 15" with an LG screen. It is perfect, at least for me. I tried the 7-minute image-persistence test, and it had none whatsoever.

7. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Goodluck OP..

I made the SAME thread, the LG they gave me was dimmer and all around not as nice as the samsung i once had.

This message board had nothing but negative things saying it was me etc (apple sheep). Then someone posted up pictures LG and Samsung side by side and in just the pictures you could see a difference.

Luckly my track pad went on that LG computer and happy to say my replacement is a samsung equipped one and its perfect.

Return it.

8. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

He's trying to justify his machine. Having owned both, the LG looks nice and all but my samsung is brighter, colors pop more and it no IR at all.

It's a shame this is even an issue but DO NOT kid yourself into thinking the LG is better than the samsung. If you have only seen the LG you would never know the difference but once you own the samsung you can't go back.

9. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'm very glad that my MacBook Pro has a Samsung display. I work at a Premium Reseller; might check the two display models we've got and see if they look any different from mine. Can't really do an image persistence test on them, though...

10. khoward1972 macrumors newbie

i'm getting ready to order rmbp 13" can i say i want a samsung?

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Everybody wants a less glossy screen. Embrace it.

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

No. And don't get worked up about it, I've had both screens and there's little to no difference. The colours are a bit more saturated on the LG, but other than that...

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Agreed. Heck, I think the screen on my 2006 MBP is excellent, so I assume most people will be quite happy with a low high-end 2013 screen.

14. khoward1972 macrumors newbie

15. B... macrumors 68000

B...

On the 13" you can't. On the 15", you type in a terminal command and if you get a certain combination of letters it is a Samsung. See the thread about Ultimate IR Test.

16. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Actually, I can get my screen swapped for a Samsung at any point, but I'm definitely not doing it until the image persistence affects real world usage.

The LG I have has near perfect brightness uniformity. The Samsungs I've owned had left and right side be completely different shades (any site like The Verge makes it obvious).

Samsungs don't have image persistence but are plagued with non-uniformity, warmer/yellower calibration, light defects, and lower contrast ratio. It is however 1/2 a notch brighter.

There is a several page thread on Image Persistence on Apple forums and comparisons between the two. Really no point in starting new ones.

17. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

FUD ITT.

The Samsung screen is what you want. The LG may look pretty for a few weeks, but unless you buy a new $2,800 computer every year, you will be happy your Samsung doesn't have burn-in.

LG burn-in owners compensating by claming it's "more beautiflyly?"

:confused:

No skary brightness panic here, regardless of what The Verge said. My Samsung is here to stay. Stunning, every pixel and edge is stunning.

2880x1800 currently. Doesn't matter. Perfect.

18. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Simply not true

Are you claiming these deficiencies on the retina Samsung display or Samsung displays in 'general' IE--televisions?

Not sure where you're getting your info. We've got a pair of rMBPs, my wife and I. Hers was Samsung from the purchase date. Mine was LG. they both looked great but the Samsung was definitely closer out of the box to 6500° calibration. My LG developed IR about two and a half months post purchase. It's since been replaced with a Samsung display. Neither of our units display any of the issues you're claiming. Excellent uniformity. Near perfect factory calibration (Apple does an excellent job in comparison with other PC vendors when it comes to pre sale calibration on their displays). They definitely don't have lesser contrast ratios...whatever that's supposed to mean. Nor are they different colors on opposite sides of the screen. Where in the world did you come up with that? Seriously?

Samsung is an Excellent producer of displays. LG is a big producer of panels, but certainly a notch below Samsung when it comes to quality. Just walk into Costco or a Best Buy. LG vs Samsung TVs are an obvious way to observe panel qualities. Colors, contrast, brightness, color gamut and blacks...LG is definitely the 'lesser' of the two when it comes down to it. These rMBP displays though...the argument is moot. You definitely, absolutely want a Samsung. Period

J

19. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Your 2 data points are really significant when I just referenced an 800 page discussion on Apple.com. :rolleyes:

20. slicecom macrumors 68020

Having owned both, I can confirm the LG display is all around better than the Samsung. I'm not sure why everyone on here is such a Samsung fanboy. I professionally calibrated my original LG screen, and used it for 9 months, but it developed image persistence and Apple replaced it with a Samsung screen. The Samsung's viewing angles aren't as good, it has more backlight bleed, and its further away from a proper calibration (required more adjustments when I professionally calibrated it with a sensor). That said, there's nothing WRONG with the Samsung, its just not as good or as accurate as the LG, and it has no image persistence, so I'll keep it.

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s all really rather a pointless argument, as every display is different, my own Retina has LG and so far is spot on. You are going to get both good and bad displays from both LG and Samsung. These displays are literally produced in hundreds of thousands, and calibrated prior to shipping, so it`s no small wonder that there is variance between them when viewed in isolation.

It`s impossible to say one brand is better than the other, what can be said is that a single display has better or worse characteristics when compared to another. I have seen worse LG & Samsung Retina display`s than my own, and better. To me it`s a typical MacRumors thing; "my toy is better than your toy" the only real consideration is does your display have issue regardless of origin.

Everyone wants to buy the best possible for the money, equally OCD can kick in and become the sole point of focus. Mac`are just computers if they don't meet your need take them back. They are a mass produced product not the path to computing Nirvana. Use them, abuse them, make your living from them, equally don't elevate them to some lofty status and venerate these aluminium boxes. Remember the real magic comes from the individual on the outside of the box ;)

22. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Keep in mind Apple will not replace for you the screen for free unless you are still under warranty, that is the issue I see with waiting for a long time for the IR to show up

23. jmjava thread starter macrumors newbie

So my wife brought the replacement (LG screen) back to the store. They had replaced my 2013 (samsung screen) that quit working with a 2012. They were very cool about it and transferred our Apple Care over to the new machine. I am so excited because the new machine is a Samsung screen. I do not care what anyone says. There is a difference. It was noticeable right away and I and my wife are very happy. Thanks everyone for the recommendations and the discussion. Otherwise I might not have taken it back. Love this forum!!

24. Haifisch macrumors regular

As long as your eyes are happy, then that's all that matters! Enjoy! I'm loving my Sammy screen too.

25. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I bought a base model 15" rMBP which has an LG screen, no IR issues or anything. Perfect.

I returned it only to get a BTO machine with 16GB Ram and it has a Samsung screen.

The LG was so much crisper, sharpens and more vibrant and better contrast. I've been disappointed with the Samsung screen compared to the LG.