Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by branharrison6, Apr 19, 2007.

  1. branharrison6 macrumors member

    Mar 22, 2007
    I ABSOLUTELY cannot decide whether or not to go ahead and purchase my macbook now or wait through summer and see what happens. I would have to purchase a new macbook by the end of summer regardless of what happens. But it seems as if people are waiting to see if in June new macbooks come out. If they come out in Oct though as some are suggesting then I'd have no choice anyway. Am I REALLY going to regret not waiting and going ahead and getting a macbook now. Will the new macbooks absolutely BLOW the current models out of the water with their new hardware? As far as I'm concerned the only new addition would be the new processor Santa Rosa? The most advanced thing I would use my macbook for right now is playing World of Warcraft and as far as I've heard there is NO problem playing World of Warcraft off of the current macbooks with 2ghz and 2gb of RAM? \

    So..... WAIT or DON'T WAIT ?????:confused:
  2. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Dec 27, 2006
    I feel there is NO MERIT to anyone saying they wont come out with SR notebooks until OCT.

    These are people that want to make a bad situation worse and make everyone feel sorry for themselves and make it seem as if the sky was falling.

    Leopard Delay != SR Delay

  3. Eraserhead macrumors G4


    Nov 3, 2005
    There will probably be new Macbooks in June with Santa rosa, but the speed improvements won't be particularly huge.
  4. killmoms macrumors 68040


    Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Well, the new MacBooks probably won't have Santa Rosa, as that's a platform that also includes Robson caching (no guarantee Apple will implement this) and an Intel wireless chip (which Apple has never used).

    What they probably WILL have is the Crestline chipset and the X3000 graphics chip, which will increase performance in games like WoW a fair amount. And, they might show up at WWDC, though it's not certain. If you can afford to wait until the end of the summer, do so. The current MacBook isn't bad, certainly, but a later one would be better. And while you might have some buyer's remorse if you buy one later and then they're updated, at least you will have waited as long as you could.
  5. yellow Moderator emeritus


    Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Of course... there's absolutely no guarnatee that Santa Rosa will make it's way into Macs. And if it did, do you really want the first gen?

    If you need a Mac now. Get a Mac now.

    As we all know, the "next best thing" is always around the corner. If you always wait for it.. well you'll be waiting forever.
  6. branharrison6 thread starter macrumors member

    Mar 22, 2007
    Will it really make THAT big of a difference in gameplay and overall use though? Does the new Santa Rosa have an increase in ghz? Will it be 2.3ghz or 2.5ghz or something?

    Also when is WWDC and what is that?
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5


    Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    This isn't, nor will it remain, the hardest decision of your life.

    It's a computer. If you need it, buy it. It will not start working any less well if a new model is announced the day after. You will get exactly what you bought.

    If your sense of worth in your posessions relies on there not being (or at least, you not knowing about) any "better deals" available, once you have yours (that is, if your life is ruled by the fear of opportunity cost) then you need to speak to someone much more qualified than us... ;)
  8. Bern macrumors 68000


    Nov 10, 2004
    I hear what you're saying, but if you need it now by all means get it now. I was waiting for the release of Leopard before I bought a new MBP, but with the delay until October I'm getting in now... I need it.
  9. Airforce macrumors 6502a


    Jan 12, 2006
    Hardest decision of your life, eh? You must be pretty young :p

    Graphics suck on current macbooks as far as WoW is concerned. You have to turn everything down...doesn't look good at all.
  10. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

    Agent Smith

    Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Playing WoW on a macbook is less than ideal, at least for me. I find that for the normal quests (esp. in the outlands) it's alright (settings are all the way down), but good luck in instances. Again, the lower instances are fine, but the higher ones tend to give me some trouble in terms of choppiness.

    As for your dilema in general, it seems to me (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that if you don't need the newer computer right now, you can and should probably wait. While I agree that the speed increases in comparison will be present, I think that they won't be of the "night-and-day" variety. That said, waiting will future-proof you, if even for a small amount of time. Besides, if the speed increases aren't really that significant, waiting until the new models come out means that you'll be able to pick up a current one at a bit of a discount, and you can use the extra cash to max out your RAM. ;)
  11. mags631 Guest

    Mar 6, 2007
    I digress, but has anyone ever see the movie Groundhog Day?
  12. rdowns macrumors Penryn


    Jul 11, 2003
    If this is the hardest decision of your life, perhaps you should buy one instead of a MB. :rolleyes:
  13. Leia1912 macrumors member

    Jan 29, 2007
    Hardest decision/easier answers

    Wait. You don't "need" it and you know changes are imminent. In addition to being able to know you waited (and avoiding the curse of buying/finding new products in the store the next day), you might get a better deal later. If you can stall until later in the summer, you might, for example, be eligible for an iPod product giveaway, like they've been doing the last couple of years near school-time. (Buy a laptop/get a nano, that kind of thing.)
  14. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
    Hardest decision of your life? Congratulations on leading such a sheltered life.
  15. robPOD macrumors 6502

    Jun 19, 2006
    Im sick of these to buy or not to buy threads, could a mod please remove it.
  16. 0007776 Suspended


    Jul 11, 2006
    I'm not sure what that has to do with wether the OP should buy or wait, but yes I have seen that movie, and I love it.:D
  17. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816


    Mar 28, 2007
    ditto, this is not a very difficult descision.

  18. Sesshi macrumors G3


    Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    I've been using an X3000 core recently and it's fairly respectable. Certainly a noticeable improvement on the GMA950. It will be light-gameable.
  19. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

    Cult Follower

    Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
    I would definately have to agree with you. If you need the computer now buy it!
  20. BilltheCat macrumors regular


    Jan 14, 2007
    Sanford FL
    Thank You CanadaRam,
    Spoken like a true grown up! The hardest decision of your life? maybe of the last 24hours! maybe!

    You dont want to listen to true hardest decisions of one's life so far young man! It's a computer! If you want it now buy it now!

    You can always trade it in or get another in a year or two!
  21. jng macrumors 65816


    Apr 6, 2007
    agreed. i'm sick of all them. i say delete them all.
  22. flyfish29 macrumors 68020


    Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Or else you are pretty lucky!!!! Have you ever played the lottery? (are you even old enough to play the lottery?):D

    robPOD- I am sick of some of these threads too, but if you don't like them don't visit them...but we are in the buying tips, advice discussion and not everyone is in the same boat or has the same reasons for starting a thread too.
  23. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020


    Nov 14, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    this is the biggest decision of your life? c'mon, friend, you can't be serious. what computer you have is a minor aspect.
  24. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

    mac 2005

    Apr 1, 2005
    I always feel empathy for people who ask these types of questions, mainly because I've asked them myself and received similar responses.

    My sense is the OP would like to know how much better the next MacBook is likely to be than the current model. For example, you can buy the baseline MacBook today with a 1.83GHz processor or the "upgraded" model with a 2.0 GHz processor. For someone not interested in the "SuperDrive," the slight bump in gigahertz may not be worth the extra cash.

    Most of you follow the chipsets and have a sense of what's most likely to make its way to the MacBook. So if the OP can choose from 1.83 GHz and 2.0 GHz today, what are the likely choices in June/October? 2.16 GHz and 2.33 GHz? Or could it be worth waiting for: 2.5 GHz and 3.0 GHz?

    I think that question is the one that drives these types of questions. Sure, nobody wants buyer's remorse, but they're also looking for an answer more substantive than "If you need it now, buy it now," especially when so many people on this board have real perspective to share.

    I think the OP just wants someone to say: "Here are the most likely scenarios of what could happen in June or October." and then spell them out. "If that is worth the wait, to you, then wait. If not, buy now and enjoy."
  25. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

    mac 2005

    Apr 1, 2005
    I agree. Instead of asking a mod to delete a thread I don't like, I either a) stop consulting those types of threads. (They are clearly labeled, after all.) or b) add the poster to my ignore list. It's a very handy feature that I thank vBulletin for including in the software and MacRumors for utilizing.

Share This Page