hardshell or sleeve?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsBestFriend, Jun 17, 2010.

1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

2. Benny P macrumors newbie

Benny P

both.

i have the incase hardshell and the sleeve..

the sleeve is useful padding for traveling and the hardshell is good for everyday use

3. onne2slick macrumors regular

I use both - Incase neoprene sleeve + speck see thru clear case
    I use both, because although the sleeve offers great protection, it's not protected while you are using it. I have terrible, terrible OCD, and the case stops that for me :D

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

sleeve--hardshell cases are tacky and unnecessary.

This isn't an ipod, as there are feet on the bottom so you dont need protection to use it on a desk. if using it on your lap, be careful what youre wearing--jeans or whatever shouldnt cause a problem anyway.

1.5 years and not a single scratch on mine.

besides, hard shells are known to just scratch the machine anyway so whats the point?

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

hardshell ftw. i just find it more convenient to have, no zipping and unzipping...(because you gotta worry bout scratching the mbp with the zippas :p). but...you can always get a zagg invis shield and a sleeve.

6. Reapur macrumors regular

+ 1

Just get a good laptop bag for when you travel with it. Dust and dirt get trapped between the shell and body of the computer acting like an abrasive and scratching the computer.

7. AndrewCjDuong macrumors member

I got the sleeve because it came free with my mbp. I want a hard shell but it's quite expensive in canada so i'm in no rush.

8. puma1552 macrumors 601

if you just have a hardshell case on it and throw it in a bag i think youre gonna be sorely disappointed someday

9. str8bucs macrumors regular

10. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

i think i'm going to go with a speck seethru satin and a incase or colcasac sleeve. i like that speck shoulderbag too, but don't want to fork over the extra 30 bucks. plus the colcasac probably wont fit the hardcase.

11. jjp14 macrumors member

Sleeve. I'm pretty careful when i'm using it right now, and I slip it in the sleeve when i'm not using the MBP for an extended period of time. It's also great for traveling around. I also think a hard shell detracts a bit from the design of the laptop. I might put a skin on it or something later on, but for now I am fine with just a sleeve.

12. Psyclism macrumors newbie

I use a memory foam lined sleeve and a Wrapsol matte skin. No added bulk, and the wrapsol skin actually feels better to the touch than the bare aluminum, and you can hardly tell it's there. Doesn't protect from dents, but I'm pretty damn careful with my stuff, so I'm not worried about that.

13. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I think the hardshell is a must have.

The sleeve...meh.

14. bondiblueos9 macrumors newbie

Softshell work in case

I got the NeoCase from radtech.us
    It is soft, so it pads the computer when I'm not using it, but it stays on while I'm working so it protects it then as well. It uses zippers, but the zippers keep themselves away from the computer so no scratches so far.
    Its great because now I don't worry at all about it getting scratched or dinged (well, maybe the inside while I'm actually using it, but what can you do?). I feel totally comfortable opening it up and using it anywhere without worrying something is going to bump the back or that I'm going to set it down on something to mess up the bottom, and then I can just close it and zip it up and throw it in my laptop bag without worrying something in there might scratch it. Since it is soft it is easy to remove and clean out any dust or whatever might have gotten between the case and the computer so you can prevent anything like that from causing a problem.

15. sadcamper macrumors regular

+2. I don't like everyday cases...only when on the go.

16. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I use the Incase Neoprene Sleeve. I use it because I will be a University student here in the fall, and as I will packing around my laptop in my backpack frequently, I figured it would work well, and it has :) I've heard the hard shell cases end up scratching the computer anyways.

17. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sleeve only. Had the hardshell but I just don't like the bulk.

18. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Sleeve, really like the aluminum feeling of the MBP...

19. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I like sleeves more. Much lighter when carrying my MacBook Pro around in my backpack.

20. Skengman macrumors member

Skengman

My girlfriend has a Nishikigoi sleeve from foofshop for her mbp and her iphone.

The sleeves they do on that site are really nice, good quality and nice designs.

I won't link to it for fear of spamming but google and you will find it.

21. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

those are pretty phresh.

22. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I highly doubt it. I don't like to throw my laptop into my backpack and I wouldn't throw my backpack around since I have 1 grand sitting in it. You'll be wasting more time than I will by using a sleeve. Time is money and money is time. :]

23. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

So how do you carry your MBP then, in a backpack, by hand?

24. felt. macrumors 6502a

agree with 'hardshell cases are tacky and unnecessary'

25. withoutyou macrumors newbie

withoutyou