Harry in Afghanistan.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by scotthayes, Feb 28, 2008.

1. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Firstly I've searched the forum and can't find a post on this.

Prince Harry has been serving in Afghanistan. The whole of the British media and press have known but kept to an agreement not to tell the story until he has finished frontline service. BBC News

Now this is going to raise some issues about the freedom of the press. But the way I see it, when the press has freedom they also have a duty to act in a responsible way, and the British press has acted with a great deal of responsibility in keeping the story under wraps. Such a pity the Drudge Report has once again failed to show responsible reporting.

As for Harry serving (and doing his job), good on him.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

This is one of the rare occasions where I agree with keeping a story under wraps - leaking it has put not only Prince Harry but all his comrades under even greater threat than before.
    I'm not a fan of the Royal Family, but I have to say he's earned my respect by serving his country in this way

3. YeahIKnow macrumors member

Pin up prat!

It's good to see the not so smart prince restoring some prestige to the Royals. There's no questioning the bravery of anyone willing to serve in that part of the world, even if you do have the SAS watching your back. The thing is the British media are making him out to be something of a war hero with long news segments glorifying his duties. Royalty has forever been a hindrence to the military. The Soldiers there get too little credit as it is and definitely don't deserve having Harry as their new ambassador.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Fair dues to him for wanting to go out their and do his bit, and equally so to our normally rabid press for showing some uncharacteristic restraint and not leaking the story themselves. However...

It's been reported for a while now that many British troops serving in hotspots like Afghanistan are been sent out woefully ill-equipped – for example, sent into night-time combat situations without any night vision equipment.

I wonder if His Royal Highness was lacking any essential equipment when he went out on patrol, or if he and his comrades were fully kitted out to deal with anything that happened to come their way?

5. Queso macrumors G4

6. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Damn Johnny foreigner ruining our interweb!
    The news story leaked on non-UK websites, so the UK press thought that was the go-ahead to publicise. I get the impression that BBC report was filmed a couple of weeks ago just waiting for the story to leak.

Apparently "Front Line" means a couple of miles back in a tent talking on the phone to the RAF. Still, hats off to all the boys out there, I've never really understood the non-Navy.:rolleyes:

I see his fellow squadies have nick-named him "Bullet Magnet" :D Lovely British humor!

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

To be fair, according to MSNBC, "The news embargo was broken, however, after reports of the prince’s deployment were leaked by an Australian magazine and a German newspaper, and then reported on a U.S. Web site, the Drudge Report." link

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me too. It sounds like he's doing a good job, too. Good for him.

Well then they're all guilty o irresponsible reporting. :p

They weren't the first, but they're still at the level of the lowest common denominator in this case.

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

My first reaction: seems foolish to have him there in the first place. How could they realistically have expected this to have remained under wraps for an entire 6 month posting? And once the news is out, there is greater incentive than ever to target British troops.

That said, as a member of the Greater Commonwealth with innumerable recitations of god Save the Queen under my belt, I find it refreshing to see active participation of the Royals in conflict. Curious how a family born to royalty and it's privileged class, can sometimes better espouse the values of the people they rule better than those we choose to represent us.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Good for him. Great to see people with integrity in this world. Hope he does his job and returns safely.

11. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

This isn't really a new concept though. Off the top of my head, I believe every generation of the Royal Family have served in some capacity ... well, forever.

IIRC, Prince Andrew was a helicopter pilot in the Falklands War. I imagine there's essentially been an unbroken continuation of mediaeval practices where royalty/nobility led the country into war -- and not from the comfy seat of government.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good on him for getting stuck in, it's such an awful shame that the media swoop in yet again to ruin it.

13. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I really don't see why people are attacking our press for not reporting this. It doesn't affect my life in any way and I see no issue with us not being told. That said I have known this for a while now but was in two minds about telling anyone - didn't see the point other than trying to boast that I knew something others didn't!

14. angelneo macrumors 68000

15. Queso macrumors G4

That's a shame, but does highlight why the Army is such a bad choice for a Royal. Joining the Navy, even as a Marine, would have allowed him to continue any deployment even after the story broke.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh well it's all over the news like a rash now.

[​IMG]

17. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

No, it's not new, but it's become news at any rate. I don't remember a great fuss made about P. Andrew back in the early 80s, but I also don't remember his rank in the succession back then, either. Was it 2nd or 3rd?

Curiously, when the media made the same reference to serving in the Falklands War, it was the first I've heard about Andrew since he and Fergie split.

18. Queso macrumors G4

It's a lot easier to remain anonymous and maintain your distance from the front line whilst still being involved when you're in the Navy or Air Force. Prince Andrew was never really in great danger of being captured and held to ransom or for media attention in the same way that Harry is. Yeah, Andrew could have been killed, but the outcome of him becoming a long-term hostage was never a real possibility.

19. garybUK Guest

garybUK

HRH QE2 served as a military driver in WW2, Prince Andrew flew helicopters in the falklands and even in history Harold II served and got a arrow in the eye ....

As the monarch is the commander in chief they should serve at least some time in the military, it's character building :)

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, I have much respect for Harry for his current service in the military. :)

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, while is brother Will is looking quite slack now compared to his brother.

22. Galapp macrumors regular

I think that the press did something that if I was running Britain, I would send secret services to kill the moron that published that Harry was in afghanistan... I mean, seriously, what are they thinking?! if Britain wouldn't immidiately react (and take harry out) he would have died or been captured 100%... what a STUPID thing to publish...

23. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I know the story leaked in a small way in Australia in January but typical of the Drudge Report, they don't think of the consequence of the story. So yes may be we should send MI6 over there and point a few things out to them.

24. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

On what grounds? Last I checked, Drudge, though he is a royal prick and a douchebag, isn't subject to your Official Secrets Act, and is subject to that whole "Freedom of the Press" thing that we have going on.

Also, while it'd be nice if they were responsible, they don't have the responsibility to be responsible in their reporting. It is, for better or worse, the way the press works in the US.

But yes, feel free to send MI6 over, commit an act of war, and take out a well-known journalist. Great plan.

25. scotthayes thread starter macrumors 68000

scotthayes

1. My statement about MI6 was meant as a joke.

2. Yes they do have a responsibility in their reporting, how would America have acted if it was one of the Bush twins who were fighting on the frontline and the British press published the story?

3. Are you sure as an American you want to lecture the world on committing and Act Of War on another sovereign state :rolleyes: And now the thread takes a whole different route.