Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
1. My statement about MI6 was meant as a joke.

2. Yes they do have a responsibility in their reporting, how would America have acted if it was one of the Bush twins who were fighting on the frontline and the British press published the story?

3. Are you sure as an American you want to lecture the world on committing and Act Of War on another sovereign state :rolleyes: And now the thread takes a whole different route.

I was messing around too. Sorry how that works on the Internet...we need sarcasm tags.

And if they got the Bush twins killed...well, I'd better stop talking. ;)

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I was messing around too. Sorry how that works on the Internet...we need sarcasm tags.

And if they got the Bush twins killed...well, I'd better stop talking. ;)

Think we need a little funny face to show sarcasm (think this one is about the best for it :p )

Understand on the Bush twins ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The biggest publicity stunt for the royals in the last few months.

Harry, well-known party boy and Nazi uniform-wearing toff and public schoolboy, shows he's just one of the lads, putting other's lives at risk. Blows that pathetic current Diana court case off the front pages and makes him look like a hero...

A completely empty gesture, especially given the Royal's income and status, and the reported failure of the government to ensure adequate medical and financial support is given to injured returning servicemen and women.

I'm with Max Clifford on this; leaks don't make it into a German paper and then to Drudge without a nod and wink.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Caught in two minds here...

Firstly, there was no media blackout. There was a media postponement, with the BBC etc. allowed to follow him around in Afghanistan and at home, and film away to their hearts' contents. So on their part at least, this was a nice little earner, and nothing to do with national pride protecting a royal.

As for Harry, I don't know. Was it a stunt? Or did he genuinely want to give something for his country? Or both? Hard to say. It does need bravery to go out there, but I would have liked to see him go without the army of reporters ready to document every move, and then we could talk about unconditional bravery.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yeah, Andrew could have been killed, but the outcome of him becoming a long-term hostage was never a real possibility.

While everyone is saying well done to the British press, I do wonder what would have happened had he been captured or killed out there. Would there then be mass outcry at the fact that no-one had told the British public?

Surely those who read the gossip mags must have realised something was up. After all, he used to be pictured on a weekly basis coming out of Boujis club. Their takings must have plummeted.

As for Harry, I don't know. Was it a stunt? Or did he genuinely want to give something for his country? Or both?

Probably a bit of both. But I'd suspect that a bigger part is the desire to work with the people that you trained with and are friends with.

I'm not sure about the country bit after the BBC reported that in his interview after the news came out he said that he didn't much like England. Struck me as somewhat odd!

I'm not sure I'm quite as cynical as BV but not far off.

Smoogz

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
Lafayette, LA
I think it was smart that the media didnt leak the information beforehand... being who he is would make him a target.

Im an American Soldier in Iraq. Ive been here since July of last year. The British are one the largest helps that we have in this war. (I beleive they have more troops apart of the Multi-Lateral National Forces) To have Harry in Afghanistan(which is just as dangerouse as Iraq) is an honor, at least to me. It shows a great deal about his character and the character of all the British forces out here.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
1. My statement about MI6 was meant as a joke.

2. Yes they do have a responsibility in their reporting, how would America have acted if it was one of the Bush twins who were fighting on the frontline and the British press published the story?

3. Are you sure as an American you want to lecture the world on committing and Act Of War on another sovereign state :rolleyes: And now the thread takes a whole different route.

Agree.

Britain, and the Commonwealth can be justly round of Prince Harry.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
If he was in the thick of it on the front line, as we're led to believe, how come he enthuses about what a great time it was? Since when is armed combat fun? No way he was ever in any danger. Actually, he sounds more like he was completing his Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
If he was in the thick of it on the front line, as we're led to believe, how come he enthuses about what a great time it was? Since when is armed combat fun? No way he was ever in any danger. Actually, he sounds more like he was completing his Duke of Edinburgh's Award.
Oh, come on, whatever the politics of it, volunteer soldiers are perfectly entitled to feel enthused by doing what they've been trained for, among their colleagues, in the belief that they're doing something useful, possibly even noble. Adrenaline and camaraderie can be quite a buzz.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Oh, come on, whatever the politics of it, volunteer soldiers are perfectly entitled to feel enthused by doing what they've been trained for, among their colleagues, in the belief that they're doing something useful, possibly even noble. Adrenaline and camaraderie can be quite a buzz.
Yes, but I meant to imply that he was never in any danger because it was little more than a stunt. I still don't think most soldiers who really saw action would come back and describe it as one of the best times of their life, camaraderie or not.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

And he was out of the media spotlight for a long time, and allowed to actually do things (that you and I wouldn't really think twice about), and allowed to NOT do things. He's usually so well looked after, he was even enthused about wearing the same clothes for a week. Not showering for 4 days was as normal as it was ever going to get for him. Those were his words. I'm sure he's going to look back on his stint in Afghanistan fondly, and with real pride later in his life. Why? It'll probably be because he'll be pampered again, longing for the days he was in Afghanistan, hanging around with real people who actually treat him like a real person. It's sad to say it, but he doesn't get that like you or I do.

I know there are always doubters, but come on. Give the guy a break. He's a Prince, didn't have to do this, and it sounds like he had a real job to do, not paperwork.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The biggest publicity stunt for the royals in the last few months.
Yep, but at least it should finally end all the "poor little princes" perception the Palace PR machine has been foisting on us since 1997. All this whinging about the leak is ridiculous. There was no other way that his first deployment was going to end other than the foreign media announcing it and a quick flight back to the UK for a press conference on how wonderful it made him feel. He would have been told all this before leaving for Afghanistan in the first place, the only random factor being how long it would be before that all occurred.

His second deployment will be longer, and by the third one nobody will care enough anymore to notice. To be honest I'm quite glad he's at least doing something useful, even if it has cost us all a bit in surrounding him with SAS troops for the past 10 weeks (I've no link for that, but will be very surprised if it hadn't happened).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Was he? I was under the impression the media were there with him, as part of the blackout agreement.

One camera-man, and around 4 interviews with main media sources when the action died down (for him).........to the Prince, I guess that constitutes a break. ;)

Actually, I'm guessing on the "one" camera-man, but I doubt an entire squad of camera-men were chasing him around. Talk about painting a bulls-eye on a soldier.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I flicked on News 24 the other day to watch Click, but instead it was Harry getting off that plane on an endless loop. The commentator had run out of comments to such an extent that he was, with much stuttering, suggesting that now Harry has been fighting in Afghanistan his life is at risk because terrorists will now try and kill him.

I flicked over to Sky News and it was exactly the same crap. So, I switched off the TV.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Actually, I'm guessing on the "one" camera-man, but I doubt an entire squad of camera-men were chasing him around. Talk about painting a bulls-eye on a soldier.

BBC, ITV and Sky news have all been filming with Harry. So that's at least 3, I'd imagine. We'll see.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Are you sure they're not just sharing the video shots? Anyway, I guess that's not so bad. During a war, there are a lot more camera-people around the action than the general public probably realizes.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Good on him for getting stuck in, it's such an awful shame that the media swoop in yet again to ruin it.

I agree, in fact, I find it utterly disgusting. I don't care if the lad was out there for 10 weeks or 10 minutes, it takes big brass balls. Big brass balls that I don't have, so good on him. 110% respect for him from me.

Utterly disgusting that the press should leak it (or 'leak' it, if you'd prefer), as far as I'm concerned. If it takes a media blackout to get him out there, then that should be honored.

As far as the press having a responsibility to report it, and the general public having a right to know... what a load of utter bollocks. We have the right to know who the rapists are that could be living in the house next to us, or the murders around the corner, but unless a soilder wants to be honored we have the right to nothing at all to do with him or her.

It's reassuring to know that a good, fully trained solider will now be cleaning rifles at the barracks. :rolleyes:

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
This is one of the rare occasions where I agree with keeping a story under wraps - leaking it has put not only Prince Harry but all his comrades under even greater threat than before.
I'm not a fan of the Royal Family, but I have to say he's earned my respect by serving his country in this way

I totally agree he may be a royal however he is still in the Army and therefore be given the same respect the other serving troops have been given. If the most people think it would be just Harry being a target, they are wrong it also puts at risk the other troops and officers who are serving with him as well.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It also masks the real issue: just exactly how well are things going over there?
According to everything I've been hearing and reading, not so good.

Had we not pulled so many resources to go to Iraq while still attempting to deal with the 'stans, we might have. Now, it's less and less likely. If you'd like, I can post several links noting "those on the field" Bush claims to be listening to but actually isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.