Has anybody here tried the Witcher?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Archmagination, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Archmagination macrumors regular

The Witcher I have been hearing a lot of good things about it, but I am wondering how well it would run on the iMac's using Bootcamp?

2. nines macrumors member

I tried 'The Witcher' on a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz in Windows XP Home. With all settings at HIGH, AA deactivated and native resolution (1440X900) the performance is amazing and the game is running very smoothly as a whole.

Above that -> if you enjoyed RPGs like Oblivion, Gothic or Neverwinter Nights, you will worship that game. It's one of those titles to be mentioned in the same breath with the Baldurs Gate Saga, Ultima 8, Gothic II and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

If you got dedicated graphics in your iMac I would recommend you to grab this game ASAP and get your Espresso-machine ready for the nights to come. Even if your videocard is already a bit dated we are talking about that kind of game where graphics become a second concern, it's the mechanics and the story that makes it stand out.

3. padré macrumors regular

the witcher

buy it, you won't regret it :)

the game is sweet, runs great, and just the art of the game is so SWEET

4. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Game is not bad but books are superb!!!!! If you are into Fantasy you wont regret reading!!:D

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Just finished playing through it... some quick impressions.

Audio is good. They seem to have had a limited number of voice actors, because, unfortunately, a lot of npcs use the same voices. But, fortunately, the major npcs got unique voices. I noticed it easily, but it didn't bother me too much.
    Voice acting was Ok. Didn't really think much about it, which at least means it doesn't suck.

The music is beautiful. Just beautiful. I'm in awe.

Graphics is great. Everything looks very nice, especially for an cRPG, though there might be graphically more advanced games out there (like Crysis). Artistically it's top-notch. The areas looks great, in that "I want to enter the screen and visit the place" kind of way.

Unfortunately a lot of npcs share the same model but, again, I didn't mind too much (though on a few occasions it got confusing when different npcs I had to talk with shared the same model and voice). The models, and faces, do look nice though.

Camera took a bit time to get comfortable with but I worked out in the end. Got 3 different modes, and I mostly switched between a strategy style one for when fighting, and a 3rd person style view (with character on left side of screen and camera behind) for when running around.

As for the story and gameplay, I was hooked from start to end.
    Many of the choices you make have noticeable effects on the story. Some minor, and some major. Dialogue choices you made in the first chapters of the game affects what is said in the later chapters. Not always things that directly affect the gameplay, but it's cool nonetheless.

There's also various cutscenes/slideshows during the game that looks on the choices you made, or things you did earlier, and how they affected the story. Throughout the game I had cutscenes looking back on choices I made in the start of the game.

Many of the choices you make is also between two evils. There's not a lot of black and white, but there sure is a lot of grey here. Or sometimes just black.

Story is also very nice and I ended up skipping a lot of the optional bounty quests (collect X number of items from Creature A) because I wanted to see what happened next.

Also some good news is that the last parts of the game doesn't completely break apart and turns into a pure hack'n slash (*cough*bloodlines*cough*) nor does it feels unfinished (*cough*kotor2*cough*). At the end there's some questions that never got answered, and people you never heard from again, but hopefully they'll use that for a sequel or expansion. Because I definitely want those questions answered, if possible.

There's a dice game with rules similar to poker (and it's actually called poker) which is kinda fun. Nice way to make money if you're lucky. There's also some opportunities to fight other people, hand to hand, for money.

It's rated M/18+ so some adult content.
    It's possible to have sex with various women throughout the game, and after the act (which isn't displayed, beyond a very blurry generic cutscene), you get a card with a less clothed version of the woman pictured on it. Nothing worse than what you can find in any classical artwork, though the nipples are supposedly censored in the US version. Also a few naked or near naked character models in-game.
    A fair amount of blood and gore. You'll see heads rolling (literally).
    The language is also definitely aimed at adults.

In the end... this have pretty much become one of my favorite rpgs. Up there with Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic. I really hope it sells well, because the game is awesome and the devs deserve to be rewarded for it. Anything else would, quite frankly, be a tragedy.

6. boz0 macrumors regular

Same config, same setting except it's running smoothly with 4x AA (except in some specific animation sequences, but this apparently has nothing to do with the graphic settings level).

Overall, it's an excellent game, but since the good points have already been expanded upon in this thread, I'll talk a bit about the bad :)

I have one main gripe with this game : huuuuuge loading times, a problem that is further compounded by non-configurable autosaves. Entering a simple, one-room house can easily result in a 20-seconds loading time. If you get an autosave, that's another 10-15 seconds. Large areas can go up to 30 or even 40 seconds loading time. And in this game, you'll change areas *a lot*.

Beyond that, the inventory system is ugly, almost impossible to read, and definitely not practical.

I've also had some minor trouble with targeting : having neutral units around you attacking the same target as you can easily result in mistakes, and considering the importance of your actions on your environment, you definitely don't want to kill random people around you. Also, in the first inn, when fist-fighting, I had this problem when another NPC would remain in the middle of the room and prevent me from targeting (and hitting) my opponent.

Of course, even with these downsides, I'm still happily recommending this game :p

7. calintz macrumors member

sorry... thread rez :p

anyway, anyone know how The Witcher runs on a stock Black Macbook?
    Not Pro, unfortunately...

8. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

The Witcher is an awesome game! You will love it!

Anyways, I guess this fit's in the topic:

Do you all think I could run it decently on my UMB 2.0 GHz 2Gb RAM and a 9400M ?

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The game is worth playing but if I had to choose, I'd pick Elder Scrolls 4:Oblivion first. Witcher does have some invisible world boundaries that I have never cared for.

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I don't mind the boundaries of Witcher, since the game's story has been really enjoyable and there's so much to do with the character development and potions, and so on. My issue with games like Oblivion, is that every NPC feels so fake and I don't care either way about them, nor their requests. Even with the over used models in The Witcher, I still got a sense of realism out this game that I rarely encounter in other games.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yep, it will run fine on your system. There are plenty of settings that can be tinkered with to get it to a point that you're happy with its performance.