Has anyone bought a MBP from Amazon before?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyroad55, Jun 16, 2011.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm about to purchase one and wanted to know if anyone has done this before but their shipping has gone wrong. The courier will be A1 and they suck based on what I have read online and my experience. Has anyone ever had a electronic from amazon lost via shipping and what happened afterwards?

2. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

I did

I bought my MBP from Amazon, no problems. I've bought lots of electronics there, no problems ever.

3. Oscar02083450 macrumors newbie

I just recieved my MacBook Pro this Tuesday along with a sleeve with no problems from amazon.

4. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

i got my macbook pro 2 weeks ago from amazon, just make sure that ur getting it directly from amazon and not from a third party seller if u want to be 100% safe, i buy almost everything from amazon great prices and customer service

5. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Oh I am not worried about amazon but more along the lines of the shipping company. There's a 50+ page thread about A1 Courier where some customers say that they have left laptops on their porches without a knock on the door!

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

I have generally found the services offered by companies to be inconsistent, so I wouldn't obsess about it. UPS has delivered products on the porch without knocking, and I have had the USPS knock and wait there even when the package doesn't need a signature. I have a vague memory that A1 delivered my Kindle (NJ), but I could be wrong. At any rate, if you are really concerned, put a note on your door asking them to knock. It can't hurt.

7. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

What if they lose the item/have it stolen? What's Amazon's policy on this?

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't know what Amazon's policy is. I was curious and went to their site, but cannot find any policy. It seems deliberately vague.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_468522_deliv?nodeId=468522&#deliv

Anyhow, I know people who have gotten products reshipped when they are lost or stolen, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. And, I would expect that they want a signature for such an expensive product. Amazon is generally pretty cool when it comes to customer service. On the off chance you reach a loser, just finish the conversation, call again, and talk to someone more helpful. You can always ask to talk to a superior if things aren't getting resolved.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

lol UPS did that to me directly from Apple

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Amazon is a very reputable seller, I buy a lot from them and love them. Dont hesitate to buy from them.

11. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Definitely not doubting that, but as a prime subscriber, I'm more weary about the shipping service they use for these express deliveries now. If my macbook is indeed lost/stolen, what is the usual process in this? Of course, I call in to explain, but after?

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Never had this issue so Im not sure. Im also a Prime member, but if you order with a CC and this happened you could also dispute the charge until you have it in hand.

13. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I had something lost from amazon before by the same carrier! But, that item was refunded the second I called in and I was wondering if this was a store-wide policy for all items since this is a macbook (expensive) we are talking about.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

That would suck, thats why I recommend using a CC to pay, preferably AMEX in case this happens.

15. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

If you didn't sign for it, then you're not responsible if it's lost (or stolen) by the carrier. There's a story today about a Fedex driver being arrested for stealing iPhones and iPads from packages and then delivering an empty package. http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/...nes_iPad_From_Packages_124011279.html?ref=279

I've been buying from Amazon for 15 years (right from the start) and have had nothing but stellar customer service. Last year I sent a number of gifts to a daughter. They were left on the porch by UPS and were then stolen. I called Amazon and everything was simply replaced at no cost. I didn't have to file any police reports or deal with UPS or any insurance company. Just a phone call to Amazon.

16. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

17. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Is there any reason not to buy a mbp from Amazon? The 13" mbp costs $1138 at Amazon, and $1200 including taxes at Apple.com or a retail store (with student discount). It is still $60 cheap to buy on Amazon and about $170 cheaper without student discount.

18. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I bought my 2010 mbp on Amazon, and am also a prime subscriber. Saved aprox. $500 over buying it at Apple, use some of the money to buy Applecare :D

19. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Amazon rocks but I'm a prime member and their shipping service sometimes SUCKS! An unmarked sketchy white van delivers packages. I realized they tried 2 prior days to deliver (I was home all day and there was no knock) and online it said if I didn't pick it up by the next day they were going to return it. Shady shipping. But me and my Dad picked it up. So be sure to track your MBP. But everything came in unharmed and in perfect condition. Even though it sucked I'd rather them keep it then leave it on my door.

20. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I noticed the white van's as well. Freaked my wife out the other day when I was getting a package delivered. I figured thats the only way Amazon could afford shipping two day.

21. palpatine macrumors 68040

you'll get a 100 dollar gift certificate fom apple for back to school and 100 dollar student discount. it can be cheaper. but, it depends on where you live (taxes) and whether you are a student.

22. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Are you suggesting that Amazon purchases will not qualify for the $100 appstore gift card?

23. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

OP, if you have a desk job you can always have it delivered to your office. I do this all the time with important orders from Amazon that I don't want left out in the rain all afternoon.

24. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

For example...This is the base 15 with no upgrades (what I'm getting)
    To buy at Apple with AppleCare it's $2066. But you get $100 giftcard so it's like $1966.

On Amazon to buy the same MBP and Applecare it's $1965. So a dollar cheaper but you have some risks. Technically you don't pay taxes but you're supposed to file and pay them at the end of the year? And their shipping/deliverers are sketchy.