Has anyone done a REAL Quirky Cloak review?

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Nope no one has. I have one on reserve but I'm getting worried about how long before this case actually appears.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
You'd think they would send a few out to mags and such to get the buzz going.
They aren't that far along in the production process. I think they just got their first prototype last week. They are behind schedule and don't even have their example video/pics up yet. All the pics and articles so far have been off of mock ups.

I'm really surprised how much stock and faith people are putting behind this case and the Happy Owl ones. When I say "people", I mean some of the tech media and early adopters. These cases are no more than just mock ups and ideas at this point and both are from two companies not really known for previous iPhone/iPod cases. I really hope the Quirky case turns out to be as advertised, but i'm going to take a wait and see approach (at least until I see pics of the real thing and not a mock up).

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
They aren't that far along in the production process. I think they just got their first prototype last week. They are behind schedule and don't even have their example video/pics up yet. All the pics and articles so far have been off of mock ups.

I'm really surprised how much stock and faith people are putting behind this case and the Happy Owl ones. When I say "people", I mean some of the tech media and early adopters. These cases are no more than just mock ups and ideas at this point and both are from two companies not really known for previous iPhone/iPod cases. I really hope the Quirky case turns out to be as advertised, but i'm going to take a wait and see approach (at least until I see pics of the real thing and not a mock up).
I haven't been able to find one I like better. I wanted something that could stand in landscape mode and portrait. This does both. I like how the hinge has a click lock so you can adjust the angle of viewing. I also like how thin it is.

Beau10

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown San Diego
These cases are no more than just mock ups and ideas at this point and both are from two companies not really known for previous iPhone/iPod cases.
The CEO launched Mophie, so there is direct experience/knowledge in this space. It would probably help to understand exactly what Quirky is, as it's far from a traditional company.

http://www.quirky.com/about

There are some impressive people behind this venture.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
The CEO launched Mophie, so there is direct experience/knowledge in this space. It would probably help to understand exactly what Quirky is, as it's far from a traditional company.

http://www.quirky.com/about

There are some impressive people behind this venture.
I'm aware what Quirky is about, but will admit not knowing about it's ties to Morphie. Even still we still aren't talking about a company with a rep like Speck, Otterbox, Griffin, etc. I'm not saying it won't do well or turn out well. I'm just surprised by all the hype for a product no one has even seen yet.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I'm aware what Quirky is about, but will admit not knowing about it's ties to Morphie. Even still we still aren't talking about a company with a rep like Speck, Otterbox, Griffin, etc. I'm not saying it won't do well or turn out well. I'm just surprised by all the hype for a product no one has even seen yet.
Plus, it doesn't sound like we have any clue when it will be out. . . .

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
I would probably like the Quirky case just as much as anyone else, but I sent them an inquiry at the first of last week. It took them 3 days to get back, and even then, they repeated the same thing as their website said two weeks prior to that, which was they were 6-8 weeks from production, and that I was free to pre-order.

This is crap. They don't update their website with much of anything, and their response time to questions sucks. Seems that these guys missed the iPad launch bus, and its no wonder with respect to the way that they run their business.

Cool case, but I won't be buying one.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I emailed them last night and received this response this morning:

Hey ****,

Thanks for your e-mail! Please note that the Quirky Cloak is currently in production, and we hope to have it ready to ship in 6 weeks. Right before the product is ready to ship, you will receive an e-mail asking you to confirm your order. You will be able to confirm all details, including product options (like color), shipping address, and billing information, at that time. Trust us, we're working as fast as we can to get this to you! To learn more about Quirky's unique product development process, please visit http://www.quirky.com/learn.

nikki laffel

community ambassador

quirky

Every few days, we bring one brand
new product from sketch to store.
So, if it's going to be six weeks (they hope), I'm going to have to get another case even if I decide I want the Quirky later. I can't go that long without a case.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I emailed them last night and received this response this morning:

So, if it's going to be six weeks (they hope), I'm going to have to get another case even if I decide I want the Quirky later. I can't go that long without a case.
Quirky is shooting themselves in the foot with lack of updates.
People won't wait- the window of opportunity is now. Once we buy a $50 case, most won't buy another one if/when Quirky Cloak comes out.

Lack of updates on their site lead me to believe that there are problems with the design or fit, and even longer delays coming.

And anyway, even if it does come out in 6 weeks, are you willing to take the chance that it is a crap product? Reviews may show the thing is horrible.

I am not holding out for this product unless Quirky starts explaining what is going on and when it is out.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Anyone successful in getting the $20 credit from Quirky for registering/completing a survey? I registered but got nothing.

Beau10

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown San Diego
Quirky is shooting themselves in the foot with lack of updates.
People won't wait- the window of opportunity is now. Once we buy a $50 case, most won't buy another one if/when Quirky Cloak comes out.

Lack of updates on their site lead me to believe that there are problems with the design or fit, and even longer delays coming.

And anyway, even if it does come out in 6 weeks, are you willing to take the chance that it is a crap product? Reviews may show the thing is horrible.

I am not holding out for this product unless Quirky starts explaining what is going on and when it is out.
They may miss out on pioneer's gold, but if it's a good product it will do just fine.

Let's put this into perspective, no one has a 3G device, and none have been sold internationally. Apple only claims 500,000 sold so far. Optimistically perhaps 2M at most will have been sold by the time this case hits the market. It's a pretty safe assumption at this point the iPad will be a continued success for Apple.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
They may miss out on pioneer's gold, but if it's a good product it will do just fine.

Let's put this into perspective, no one has a 3G device, and none have been sold internationally. Apple only claims 500,000 sold so far. Optimistically perhaps 2M at most will have been sold by the time this case hits the market. It's a pretty safe assumption at this point the iPad will be a continued success for Apple.
I don't doubt they could have a super successful case on their hands. I do doubt that I'll be able to wait for it. :p

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I couldn't wait any longer. I canceled my Cloak order and got the MacAlly.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
At least it is in production. They designed an awesome iPod Nano 5G stand/case the day it came out and it still hasn't reached the "preorder threshold" 6 months later.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I know it's a prototype, but the mock ups were much nicer. It looks much thicker than I thought it would be. I like the landscape hinge, thought it was an interesting and functional choice. However, I wonder how much abuse those hinges are going to be able to take, same with the portrait stand. I'm also not sure how I feel about the material choices. The case seems like it will be as functional as promised, but not as aesthetically pleasing.

Merlosso

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2008
Seems cool but its really hard to tell in that video. The video quality is terrible.

ippikiokami

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
I know it's a prototype, but the mock ups were much nicer. It looks much thicker than I thought it would be. I like the landscape hinge, thought it was an interesting and functional choice. However, I wonder how much abuse those hinges are going to be able to take, same with the portrait stand. I'm also not sure how I feel about the material choices. The case seems like it will be as functional as promised, but not as aesthetically pleasing.
This would be the same thing i'm worried about. It doesn't looking like the stands would be able to take much wear and tear. Even with improved materials being that thin looks like they could snap easily

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I've got one on pre-prodcution pre-order. I've watched the prototype youtube video. I am wondering about the wisdom of having those pull out legs up against the iPad screen when they are collapsed? I hope they are completely flush so there is no possibility of screen damage. That said I like their products and will reserve judgement until I get mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.