Has anyone done a REAL Quirky Cloak review?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by DaneGuy, Apr 17, 2010.

1. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

I'm really interested in this case. http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak

I know it's not out yet but I've been hoping someone might have it so I can get a decent review. I see a lot of sites talking about it but no hands on.

Anyone see a real review?

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

The product isn't even out yet so no there are no reviews.

3. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Nope no one has. I have one on reserve but I'm getting worried about how long before this case actually appears.

4. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

You'd think they would send a few out to mags and such to get the buzz going.

5. jedolley macrumors 68000

They aren't that far along in the production process. I think they just got their first prototype last week. They are behind schedule and don't even have their example video/pics up yet. All the pics and articles so far have been off of mock ups.

I'm really surprised how much stock and faith people are putting behind this case and the Happy Owl ones. When I say "people", I mean some of the tech media and early adopters. These cases are no more than just mock ups and ideas at this point and both are from two companies not really known for previous iPhone/iPod cases. I really hope the Quirky case turns out to be as advertised, but i'm going to take a wait and see approach (at least until I see pics of the real thing and not a mock up).

6. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't been able to find one I like better. I wanted something that could stand in landscape mode and portrait. This does both. I like how the hinge has a click lock so you can adjust the angle of viewing. I also like how thin it is.

7. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

The CEO launched Mophie, so there is direct experience/knowledge in this space. It would probably help to understand exactly what Quirky is, as it's far from a traditional company.

http://www.quirky.com/about

There are some impressive people behind this venture.

8. jedolley macrumors 68000

I'm aware what Quirky is about, but will admit not knowing about it's ties to Morphie. Even still we still aren't talking about a company with a rep like Speck, Otterbox, Griffin, etc. I'm not saying it won't do well or turn out well. I'm just surprised by all the hype for a product no one has even seen yet.

9. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Plus, it doesn't sound like we have any clue when it will be out. . . .

10. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Has anyone seen a similar case?

11. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

I would probably like the Quirky case just as much as anyone else, but I sent them an inquiry at the first of last week. It took them 3 days to get back, and even then, they repeated the same thing as their website said two weeks prior to that, which was they were 6-8 weeks from production, and that I was free to pre-order.

This is crap. They don't update their website with much of anything, and their response time to questions sucks. Seems that these guys missed the iPad launch bus, and its no wonder with respect to the way that they run their business.

Cool case, but I won't be buying one.

12. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I emailed them last night and received this response this morning:

So, if it's going to be six weeks (they hope), I'm going to have to get another case even if I decide I want the Quirky later. I can't go that long without a case.

13. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Quirky is shooting themselves in the foot with lack of updates.
    People won't wait- the window of opportunity is now. Once we buy a $50 case, most won't buy another one if/when Quirky Cloak comes out.

Lack of updates on their site lead me to believe that there are problems with the design or fit, and even longer delays coming.

And anyway, even if it does come out in 6 weeks, are you willing to take the chance that it is a crap product? Reviews may show the thing is horrible.

I am not holding out for this product unless Quirky starts explaining what is going on and when it is out.

14. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Anyone successful in getting the $20 credit from Quirky for registering/completing a survey? I registered but got nothing.

15. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

They may miss out on pioneer's gold, but if it's a good product it will do just fine.

Let's put this into perspective, no one has a 3G device, and none have been sold internationally. Apple only claims 500,000 sold so far. Optimistically perhaps 2M at most will have been sold by the time this case hits the market. It's a pretty safe assumption at this point the iPad will be a continued success for Apple.

16. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't doubt they could have a super successful case on their hands. I do doubt that I'll be able to wait for it. :p

17. Detlev_73 macrumors 6502

Detlev_73

So is Otterbox; they haven't even posted a mockup of what their products will remotely look like even when they're out.

18. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I couldn't wait any longer. I canceled my Cloak order and got the MacAlly.

19. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

At least it is in production. They designed an awesome iPod Nano 5G stand/case the day it came out and it still hasn't reached the "preorder threshold" 6 months later.

20. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

21. jedolley macrumors 68000

I know it's a prototype, but the mock ups were much nicer. It looks much thicker than I thought it would be. I like the landscape hinge, thought it was an interesting and functional choice. However, I wonder how much abuse those hinges are going to be able to take, same with the portrait stand. I'm also not sure how I feel about the material choices. The case seems like it will be as functional as promised, but not as aesthetically pleasing.

22. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Seems cool but its really hard to tell in that video. The video quality is terrible.

23. ippikiokami macrumors regular

This would be the same thing i'm worried about. It doesn't looking like the stands would be able to take much wear and tear. Even with improved materials being that thin looks like they could snap easily

24. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I've got one on pre-prodcution pre-order. I've watched the prototype youtube video. I am wondering about the wisdom of having those pull out legs up against the iPad screen when they are collapsed? I hope they are completely flush so there is no possibility of screen damage. That said I like their products and will reserve judgement until I get mine.