iPad Has anyone downsized their computer setup since getting an iPad?

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Just curious, cause I only use my computer on weekends now. During the week, its ipad only.

joplinG5

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014
Nope. Just bought a HP laptop with AMD quad processor, 500 GB hard drive, and 4 GB memory. $80 pawn shop special! Works great with my iPad Air.

Saturn1217

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
Nope. But my macbook air is my work computer so the iPad can't replace it. It is a good supplement though.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Just curious, cause I only use my computer on weekends now. During the week, its ipad only.
At home.

Downsize? No
Neglect? Yes. Its still a 2006 Core2. Its media repository and the occasional thing I need a desktop for.

Not counting corp issued Dell/Windows which fills in some computing needs.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Not for me. The iPad and computer fill two different needs. I'm still on my Mac quite a bit.

Guacamole

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2011
No way , an IPad cannot replace my MacBook Pro or any other laptop or desktop for that matter
So many things I can't do on iPad ... Sometimes I can't even see a website let alone play a video properly on iPad

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Downsizing actually takes money and/or effort, so like many other posters, I just use my current setup less.

TreRep

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
Venice, ITALY
my ipad air is my main computer...

i sold my macbook air because i didn't use it....

ipad air can already be the main computer... as i wrote in another thread many people use their macbook air or retina pro for simple tasks that you can do even better with an ipad...

obviously if you use adobe literoom or Photoshop in heavy tasks you need a macbook

but for 99% of tasks is enough... especially browsing... music...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
OP, are you talking about desktop PC or laptop or both? The answer is no, I still use my rMBP at home like I am typing this right now and my iPad Air for to go and on long train/bus ride playing games and reading books. :apple:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Not really. I had this iMac before I got an iPad. I have gone from an iPad 2 to iPad 3 to iPad Air but I'm still on the same iMac, albeit with a 2 TB hybrid drive and 12GB of RAM instead of the stock 500GB drive and 4GB of RAM.

I run this as a media server for my two Apple TVs in the house, so I need a desktop in the house. It's also where I store my photos, which I think take up 150 or 200GB. Now that I'm back in school, I also need a desktop to do certain things because they sure aren't up with the latest tech on everything. We're just now getting a student records system that isn't Telnet in a JavaScript window.

I have actually been shocked at being about the only person with an iPad. Those kids have notebooks galore and everybody has an iPhone, but I can't recall seeing someone else with an iPad. It was a back-saver because I was able to get two textbooks via the Kindle app, which also meant they were on me all the time since I carry my iPad almost everywhere.

I would really like to get a MacBook Air, but it's hard to justify right now. I need a portable at times, which is why I use my Gateway notebook. It's just darn heavy.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I don't think an iPad can ever replace a "real" computer. I have a 3rd gen iPad that I seldom use whereas my MBP is in constant usage. The only time where I would use my iPad is if I'm in bed or going somewhere and I don't want to bring my laptop.

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
When I bought my first iPad, my use of my DIY AMD rig dropped dramatically to mainly gaming.
Since then I bought a Mini (2011) and now an Air, I haven't touched my PC other than to run backup on my WHS.

Downgraded...sorta.....spent money....yes.....happy....definitely.
:p

Bujin

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
I'm pretty much ipad only - my laptop died and I never bothered replacing it.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Nope - went the other way. I got brainwashed by Apple I think.

I went from:

17" ASUS gaming Notebook (Sandybridge i7)
Cheap 15" notebook for the wife
iPad 1

To:
iPad 3 (then iPad Air)
iPad Mini Retina for the wife
rMBP15 top spec for me
entry level MBA 13" for the wife
2 x Apple TV3
2TB Time Capsule

Both phones went from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5
and iphone 4S to iPhone 5S