Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejuanpiman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Hey guys, so I bumped my iPhone 3Gs against my night table this morning as I woke up, nothing big I believe it was just against the bezel since I have not been able to locate a scratch or a ding under the light. Ever since I feel as if the iPhone is not the same, I know this sounds wierd and all of you will probably tell me to get help lol. Just wanted to know if any of you are experiencing the same, group support ppl! BTW this phone ROCKS!

entity

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Detroit, MI
Not my 3G S, but about a week after getting my 3G it fell off my lap getting out of the car. Luckily, it was in an Incase slider so there was no actual damage to the phone.

The only other time there was a scary fall was when I got my 2G replaced by Apple with a refurb. The same night it AGAIN fell off my lap while getting out of the car and slid down the driveway through the snow. I was able to dry it off ASAP and it was fine since it had the Incase slider and screen protector.

Note to self: Do not put 3G S on lap while driving.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Not my 3G S, but about a week after getting my 3G it fell off my lap getting out of the car. Luckily, it was in an Incase slider so there was no actual damage to the phone.

The only other time there was a scary fall was when I got my 2G replaced by Apple with a refurb. The same night it AGAIN fell off my lap while getting out of the car and slid down the driveway through the snow. I was able to dry it off ASAP and it was fine since it had the Incase slider and screen protector.

I ALWAYS used to do that and forget it was there, slide out of the truck and watch it fall in horror :eek: ( I had a case too) but still I remind my self to put it where I can see it before I get out.

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
That's a psychological disorder called iAmscareditsbroken Syndrome.

80% of all Mac Rumours users have it, welcome to the club.

Your phone is fine, I've dropped both my iPhones multiple times while drunk (on many surfaces...hardwood, carpet, concrete) and both are fine without any dings. (The original iPhone has a better build quality than the 3Gs though)

I had to get my 3G replaced once though because it rubbed up against my girlfriend's Versace sunglasses and got black scuff marks all over it (they must have pressed up together pretty hard) but Apple took care of it for me. And by the way it ruined her sunglasses too (white on black) and apparently the were uhh expensive or something and she got pretty mad at me. I said "Uhm, your the one who put your sunglasses in my bag." FAILURE.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Why do people keep referring to the 3G S as the "3Gs?"
It's incredibly confusing, because it simply looks like the plural of 3G.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Why do people keep referring to the 3G S as the "3Gs?"
It's incredibly confusing, because it simply looks like the plural of 3G.

Haven't you heard? It's not the "3G S" anymore. Apple says they wanna call it the "3GS" now. :rolleyes:

My car is perfect in that it has a nice little handle (without the hole) on the door that my phone rests in perfectlyso I've never experienced the horror with my 3G or 3GS. But when I was driving cross-country in a moving truck my phone slipped off my lap twice doing pretty extensive damage to my 1st gen casing...

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009

I do this all too often thinking the coefficient of friction between the phone and the pant leg are high enough to keep the phone virtually Velcroed in place regardless of driving habit. Never has it been that stable though and a dozen times the phone has wound up on the floor under my feet. :eek: With the advent of Turn-by-Turn GPS apps I'd love a decent windshield mount....

jjm3

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
I dropped my caseless 3GS tonight, from about a foot high onto a hard wood floor, but no marks and no problems... Glad I got it over with, really! I dropped my caseless 3G several times from higher heights and at faster-than-9.8 m s² speeds, and it never got marked or acted funny either, so yay.

RKilbane20

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I had my phone plugged into my computer and I put my foot down and pulled my 3GS straight to the ground. Luckily it was carpet so no damage.

sootie

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
I dropped mines two times off of the bed onto a hardwood floor...no visible marks:cool:....but weird i do hear a something rattle when i shake it...i believe it was before the drops...does anyone else hear a small rattle when they shake the phone?:confused:

ejuanpiman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Glad to hear your all doing fine, I think I'm starting to be able to live with it lol. I love this phone, and it came at good timing too, my mbp is out for repair at apple care and thank god for the iPhone I don't have to stand up to check on my iMac for recent developments.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I dropped my 3GS this afternoon from my pocket onto a tile floor. Luckily, I had the iFrogz case on it and it landed flat on the front, so no damage was done.

Whew!

DarKeneD

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Dropped mine on a tile floor too out of my chest pocket when I bent down to put on my shoes. Made a slight mark one of the bezel corners, it's tiny but I notice it :mad:.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Dropped mine onto my hardwood floor from a couple feet. No real damage just a tiny mark on the bezel. I didn't notice the rattle until after but I suspect it was always there.

I totally know what you mean about feeling different afterwards. Damn OCD. Mine has the yellow tint issue so I wasn't very content with it in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.