Has anyone dropped thier iPhone3G yet? Did it survive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rybold, Sep 14, 2008.

?

If you dropped it on a HARD surface, was there any damage beyond scratches?

1. Yes, more than just scratches.

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. No.

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. I have not dropped my phone, but if I didn't click on this box, I would feel left out.

27 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Has anyone dropped their iPhone3G ?
    If so, what did you drop it on? (carpet, tile, cement, other)
    Was there any damage?

(I have not dropped mine, but I'm wondering about durability because although I have a rubber case around my phone, many of my friends do not and don't plan on getting a case. That got me thinking ... gee, I wonder if it would survive being dropped?)

(typo in the title ... is there a way to edit the title?)

2. Inukami macrumors 6502

Mine was plugged in my computer cause i was installing apps and my cat comes by. Her tail freaking hooked the cable and it made the iPhone fall off the table on the carpet.

4foot drop on carpet.
    under carpet rugg.

0 damage on the iphone.

over 9000 on my cat D=

3. mBox macrumors 68020

4. S Brake macrumors regular

I had a 3 foot drop yesterday at work. I had my phone out on my lap and it slipped down and it hit the leg of the chair before landing on the carpet. It sounded pretty bad when it hit the chair but there was no damage at all.

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well I dropped mine twice on concrete one drop was 5 ft and it survived just a few sctratches and another one was below 3ft and nothing happened :) but still scratches other than that everything works :D

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

7. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Nope, I have yet to drop mine. Got it on July 12th. Pheww. No case either.:D

8. ilugram macrumors member

accidently knocked it off my coffee table about 2 feet onto a hardwood floor. It has a griffin flexgrip case it. No sign of damage

9. Satan Himself macrumors newbie

3-4 feet from my hand to the pavement, on July 13th :p A slight ding in front of the sleep button and a scuff about a centimeter to the left of the camera lens. I don't see them unless I'm looking for them, but I do sometimes feel the ding in front of the sleep button.

Just as durable as any other phone I've owned over the last 10 years.

10. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I dropped mine from about four feet yesterday, onto a hardwood floor. Fortuntately, I use a Speck toughskin case which has a lot of shock absorption potential. No damage at all to the phone. I was most worried about the accelerometer (apart from the screen), since that seems the component most likely to suffer from shock damage.

11. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i've accidentally thrown mine twice... first time on a hardwood floor with an IS on it -- no damage. second time onto a carpet floor without an IS, again no damage. both times flew about 5 feet from 3 feet in the air. don't ask.

12. reliantj macrumors 6502

when the iphone falls, which part does it tend to hit?
    or is the weight equally distributed and can hit any
    part of the phone?

13. yode macrumors 6502

my iphone flew out of my pocket at the usc ohio state game as I was celebrating. It survived, few scuffs on the back, 3-4 scratches on the black bezel, none on the screen portion. Lucky I guess that the glass didn't get shattered.

14. Eric. macrumors regular

Are you me? Haha. Same thing happened yesterday at home. No damage, luckily.

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

:eek::eek: How can we not ask?

To answer the OP, nope, I haven't dropped mine (yet?). It's naked, so *knock on wood*.

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    actually... i just dropped mine for the first time yesterday!! :eek:

I was at the movies.. and just as it ended i stood up and got my iphone out of my pocket and BAM. sure enough my iphone slip up and out of my hands from the momentum of taking it out. fell onto the hard floor a row in front of me (so it had about an extra 8 inches to fall) it then slid off of that level on the the row of seats in front of that, causing another 8 inch fall.

My heart stopped, all my friends gasped, I hear a faint "it was the iphone" in the background... I pick it up. no scratches or cracks, but displaying a "sim card error" I restart it, it takes longer than usual. but the everything works A-OK!! :D So happy!

Edit: I have no case!

17. M0bile macrumors regular

I have mine in the Griffin Elan Form 3G case. I've dropped my phone 3 times from about 3-5 feet. Survived every time with no damage. One time my SIM tray popped out but other than that nothing serious has happened.

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

:eek:

And I though Luck didnt exist.......

19. threezero macrumors 6502

my phone flew out of my gf's hand while she was playing motionXpoker. hit tile floor. I had BSE on the phone no scatches, but a few days later i start noticing light leaks.....

all of yall that have dropped the phone do check for light leak as its not noticeable until you try to spot it. once you spot it you will wish you never have ;)

20. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

So based on the responses so far, it appears that dropping the iPhone results in no damage beyond scratches.

21. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Dropped my phone for the first time last week...about 2 feet from an end table onto hardwood floor. I got a small scuff/scratch mark on the chrome bezel, but a quick swipe, buff and polish with a fingernail polisher and its back to gleaming again! :cool:

22. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Dropped on hardwood floor. No damage. iPhone was in its case.

23. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Dropped mine from about 4 feet onto a tile floor in O'hare airport about a month ago. I had a plastic Griffin Nu Form (slider style) case on it. The case actually got a crack in it but the phone was completely protected. REALLY glad I had the case!

24. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

sorry .. have to ask (I tried I promise!!) .. how do you 'accidentally' THROW something? .. dropping I understand but throwing? .. please please answer!

Loopy

25. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Got mine July 11 and just dropped it a few days ago on my hardwood floor. I would say about 4 feet. I didn't have a case on it either, never have and never will. My heart skipped a bit when it was falling, but there isn't a scratch or nick on th whole thing. Whew!