Has anyone e-mailed Tim Cook about...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by qpid360, May 5, 2015.

1. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Since users are still quite divided on whether the watch is safe to be worn in the shower or not, I'm curious if anyone has attempted to e-mail Tim Cook for his response? Yes, the instructions state it's not safe to be worn under pressurized water, but if Mr. Cook wears his without issues, and even Apple's instructions are to RUN IT UNDER WATER to fix digital crown issues, then I can see why people are confused.

2. keastone macrumors member

...no and no one should. Is it really that big of deal to take it off before the shower?

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't really matter. If there's water ingress it'll be replaced under the standard warranty.

4. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

You really think Tim isn't aware that his use of it is contrary to what's in the warranty / recommended care and use? (or course, he wouldn't be paying for his watches either, as an Apple executive)

Eg. If you have a very powerful massaging shower head and it hits the mic port with just the right force to push back the rubber seal and get water inside the compartment, so now it can play mayhem with the electronics...

You think this should be covered by Apple's warranty?

They don't advertise it as a waterproof watch. Water resistant. Able to stand up to regular day to day use.

----------

You don't think they're going to close that loop? Turn around and charge people after the fact, after the watch is reviewed by their technicians?

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

You're really going to email the CEO of a $775B company to ask about showering with the watch?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

How will the technicians be able to tell it went deeper than 1 meter and/or for longer than 30 minutes, the criteria for the IPX7 water resistance rating?

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

As I posted on another thread on this topic, I am a Kickstarter owner of a Pebble watch. This watch is WaterProof, not just water resistant like the :apple:watch. I do not wear my Pebble in the shower, nor even under the faucet when doing dishes etc.

The only reason to wear a Pebble in the shower is to control the music on your iPhone which isn't in the shower anyway. This can wait till later. Any notifications, texts, or e-mails can wait until your out also.

Sorry but to me the correct answer is: don't wear any watch in the shower.

8. davidec macrumors regular

I think this is a relevant point. You'd be well within your statutory rights to expect Apple to repair your watch if it was damaged in the shower given that the CEO of that company publicly stated he wears his watch in the shower!

9. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Because the rubber gasket that is blown out isn't faulty and tests to still survive pressure at IPX7 and above pressure?

My guess is, the components protecting it from moisture are well above the rating - so those that do manage to get water inside shouldn't expect to be covered by warranty.

(queue the australians swimming with it video) :)

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It doesn't really matter what the CEO says. The only criteria is whether it sustains water ingress within the scope of the Watch's official IPX7 water resistance rating.

----------

And showering is going to cause that? Let's stick with showering, not deep diving or anything outside of IPX7.

11. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Has anyone e-mailed Tim Cook about... his sexi Alabama accent that should give hope to millions of uneducated hicks from the south that they too can be a billionaire?

Yes, I have. Still waiting for his reply.

12. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

You think the water pressure at 1m is comparable to the pressure spray of a shower head?

This site states the water pressure of 1m is 1.4psi: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hydrostatic-pressure-water-d_1632.html

The US Environmental Protection Agency says shower heads are rated at 80psi, but many regulator valves are limited to 45psi here: http://www.epa.gov/WaterSense/pubs/faq_showerheads.html

So, most people will be somewhere between, many opting for the higher end (as more pressure provides a more robust experience).

Given the above - do you still think each stream is going to be less than 1.4psi???

13. GLS macrumors 6502

Unlike most of us on this simple web forum, if Mr. Cook's watch gets damaged in the shower, not only does he have the means to easily replace it, but probably would get a replacement free.

So, yeah. Go ahead and email Tim Cook. I'm sure your experiences will mirror his. And if yours dies by chance, well, that's the roll of the dice, kid.

14. McDaddio, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Perhaps much less.
    1. Because that is the total PSI coming out of the shower head.
    2. The water disperses widely from the shower head, e.g. not directed directly at the watch.
    3. When the water hits the watch it is probably already at least several feet away from the shower head (except for when washing you hair).

It isn't the PSI coming out of the showerhead that is relevant, it is the PSI of the water hitting you iWatch.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's debatable; however, Apple will be obligated to replace water ingress under the standard warranty unless you tell them you went deeper than 1 meter or swam longer than 30 minutes (which is outside the IPX7 rating). Otherwise, they'd be faced with a class action lawsuit like what happened with the various iDevices.

The only reason they recommend not submerging it is it's quite easy to go deeper than 1 meter (which isn't that deep) if people swim with it. Moreover, people are not likely to restrict their swimming to just 30 minutes.

16. Mapex macrumors member

Well when you put it THAT way...

*emails Tim Cook about showering with the watch*

17. Smartdrive macrumors regular

18. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

I emailed tim and he said i should buy another watch just in case the shower breaks the watch and i dknt have time to wait for a replacement.

Bought another, shipping in june

19. Drew888 macrumors 6502a

Drew888

20. qpid360 thread starter macrumors 6502

qpid360

21. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Your thread title goes well with almost any thread title directly below it. Now it's "Has anyone e-mailed Tim Cook about... 38mm SS Soft Pink Modern Buckle". Unlimited possibilities! :D

22. qpid360 thread starter macrumors 6502

qpid360

It's going viral! The next big meme!

23. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

24. H3rman macrumors 6502

It would cost Apple more to perform those tests than it would to replace your watch, so from a financial point of view it makes more sense to them to replace the watch.

Also, do you REALLY think they will have the equipment and certified personell to do that in-store? After 6 months when stores start keeping stock of "white box" watches like they do with phones, they will be replacing on the spot like they do with phones.

It takes too much time and effort to do what you've just said. A lot longer than any "genius" (I hate that term) appointment.

You say the seals will be "well above" the IPX7 rating so if water gets in it shouldn't be replaced under warranty....you do realise that Apple is not perfect and there is such a thing as defective seals/manufacturing defects. There was a thread on here by a guy who had a gap at the top of his screen and from the picture it looked like there was a section along the top that had the seal missing. These kinds of defects will let water in and will be covered under warranty.

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

These are exactly the types of emails that Tim prioritises to answer first ;)