Has anyone else started using their MBPr primarily as a desktop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Hieveryone, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I have a MBPr 2.6/8/256 Haswell model.

I bought a really nice Dell 24" monitor recently and have a really nice Dell 21.5" as well.

I pretty much always dock my MBPr these days using a TwelveSouth Book Arc and use my MBPr as a desktop.

I might use my MBPr as a laptop occasionally but no more than 1-2 times a week.

Edit: How do I add a photo I dragged and dropped but it didn't work.

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

Not my new retina, but I had my 2012 cMBP 15" in clamshell mode for atleast a year.

I sold my iPad, so now I'm using a laptop more.

If it's a pic on your computer, click the little paperclip icon then select where it is on your computer.

3. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I personally do not. I live in a very small 1 bedroom apartment and there simply isn't enough room for a desk to create a desktop setup. I usually sit on the couch when using my laptop. I think if I did want an actual desktop I would just get an iMac especially since all the devices sync together.

4. Roadking714 macrumors regular

I use mine off and on as a desktop depending if I'm gonna sit for awhile otherwise I just use the laptop

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

This is basically my setup with my 13" rMBP on my Dell S2240L as a desktop in clamshell mode.

Attached Files:

6. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

My setup at work in Sweden. I mostly leave the rMBP there and use my 2010 Air on the couch at home. The retina screen is in use as the primary and the old 24" LED screen as a secondary. Hard to look at those pixels tho.

Attached Files:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have my rMBP as my main machine. It sits on an mStand, with an external keyboard/mouse and monitor. I see that Henge Dock finally came out with their horizontal docking station but its priced at 400 dollars. This would have really worked well for me, but I'm content with using the mStand.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No

i bought a laptop because I needed a laptop. If I needed a desktop I would have bought one.

10. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I bought a laptop because I needed a desktop. It would be a huge waste to buy a second computer for the handful of times I go to the library to study and need a laptop.

11. redneck6497 macrumors member

One question I have about using your laptop as a desktop is degradation of the battery. I do this at work. I hardly ever use it as a laptop, then, one day I go to use it as a laptop and the Batt died in 25 mins.

My mother is having issues with her imac aging, but she has a 2012 MBA 13" that is mostly unused. I'm thinking about telling her to just get a monitor and plug that thing in and start using it instead. How can she keep the battery from being junk 6mo. later?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

13. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Exactly. I actually bought a laptop to use a laptop. But in the future, I think I'll only buy laptops even if I need a desktop.

It's nice to be able to connect it to an external monitor and use it as a desktop then unplug and take it on the go.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

You need to clean up your desk!

15. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

I use my 13" rMBP as my desktop. I don't use an external display, or docked. I use it directly. Having a light laptop as my desktop actually works really well since I take it to school every day and it's nice to not have to coordinate everything. While I sort of miss a larger display and having extra room, I manage just fine with only the built in display.

16. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I do.

I live in a tiny apartment and when I moved here, I sold my iMac and MacBook Air, and replaced them with the 13" rMBP.

Only this last week did I buy a cheap LG display to use a secondary monitor, and set up my dining room table as a desk. I love it, I now have a dual display, can run Virtual Machines, SQL Servers, etc...it feels like I have the advantages of a powerful desktop, than I can disconnect and take with me at any time. Or just take it to the couch for some reading/browsing.

My rMBP will be travelling with me to Europe later for a month later in the year, but apart from that, I rarely take it out of the house.

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Give me a break...even my fiancée keeps telling me that :D

18. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Steve says his desktop looks just fine!

Attached Files:

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I love that shot from Walter Isaacson's book.

20. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

I honestly can barely remember the last time I even used a desktop. I don't even use an external monitor with my laptop. Just absolutely no need.

21. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

That's an amazing photo. Is that just a monitor? What computer is he using?

----------

Is that, *dun* *dun* *dun*, WINDOWS?

Et tu yjchua95?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

lol :)

22. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's Windows because I was about to play Battlefield 4 on it :)

It's a late-2013 15" (2.6/16/1TB/750M), an early-2011 15" (2.3/16/512 840 Pro/1GB 6750M/matte screen) and an early-2015 13" (i7/16/512).

23. vbedia macrumors regular

What happened to the eGPU?

24. afhstingray macrumors newbie

not primarily, but i did buy a nice 23" external dell monitor and some creative speakers for when i want to watch movies/tv shows. i dont own a tv, no space in my rented room for that.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have the exact same dock as you, and do the same. I prefer to be docked at work, but I need mobility for when I train people.

I have a Magic Trackpad and keyboard too.