Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
It's really nice. I just started using it the other day so I could test my recently completed website with a different browser. And I love it! It utilized resources much better than Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.

While using the browser, I have more free RAM available, and the CPU usage is much less. When I used Safari, listening to pandora would put my CPU temp at around 60-63C. Using Camino, it stays in between 48-51C. Much cooler. Plus, I can use flash sites (such as pandora, youtube) for about an hour longer while using my battery. Sounds like a good deal to me, no?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
No. No one has ever tried Camino, you are the first.

In all seriousness - I prefer Safari and Chrome over Camino.

I've just found both of those browsers to use more resources than necessary. It all ends up being personal preference in the end, but I just feel that camino is snappier

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I use it sometimes. It's not my main browser, but it's my favorite for older macs since it is fairly lightweight.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I use it as my first choice browser, and rarely have to start up the 2nd one, Safari.
I use it mostly to check references on the web for translation work, so it is up and running in the background constantly, and it is well behaved.
The nightly betas are awesome too, but I have reverted back to the stable release for months now. It may not be the fastest, but it gets there in good time and includes ad and flash blocking (preferences).
I especially like the user interface, simple, readable, and clean.
Has no "obnoxious" factor, like Google, and the tab bar (black letters on light grey) is much easier to read then the one on Safari!
Using it as your No. 1 browser will probably depend largely on your preferences and usage patterns. Still, it is a largely ovelooked but vialable option.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
The problem with Camino going forward is that it Firefox has made a decision that is going to make it very difficult (if not impossible) for Camino to update going forward. There are stuck using Firefox 3.6 as a base I believe, so things like HTML 5 and other new web technologies are non-starters.

Camino is said to be exploring the option of moving from the Firefox-fueled Gecko to Webkit, so I don't know what the future holds.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I like Camino, but there's something about the scrolling that I don't like.
Does anyone else have weird scrolling issues with it?

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
I like Camino, but there's something about the scrolling that I don't like.
Does anyone else have weird scrolling issues with it?

No, I've never had any issues with scrolling yet. Try reinstalling it and see if that fixes your issue

The problem with Camino going forward is that it Firefox has made a decision that is going to make it very difficult (if not impossible) for Camino to update going forward. There are stuck using Firefox 3.6 as a base I believe, so things like HTML 5 and other new web technologies are non-starters.

Camino is said to be exploring the option of moving from the Firefox-fueled Gecko to Webkit, so I don't know what the future holds.

Really? I knew it felt a lot like firefox, but I didn't know that it was actually designed off of firefox. That's interesting. But yeah, I suppose we'll see what the future holds. But for now, I do quite enjoy this browser

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Do you have any evidence to support any of this? You seem to believe that Firefox is a company. It is not. Firefox is a browser from Mozilla Corporation. It is a cut-down version of the Mozilla's opensource Netscape/Mozilla (now Seamonkey) browser. Firefox was initially released in late 2004. Camino was released as Chimera in early 2002 making it nearly three years older than Firefox. These browsers and many others are based on Mozilla's Gecko engine.

It is inconceivable that Mozilla would restrict Gecko to a single browser. Mozilla's revenue depends on the number of identifiable Gecko browser hits. It's health depends on having as many browsers identified as Gecko as possible.

The other thing is that Gecko has competition among opensource browsers--very strong competition. Ever heard of WebKit? Apple's opensource WebKit is the basis of Safari, Chrome, and other browsers. What is more, WebKit has for quite some time now been perfectly W3C-compliant, which for whatever reason Mozilla rejects. If Mozilla tried to return to its proprietary roots, then it would be forgotten in a year--or less.

Google search "cutting off nose to spite face."

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Do you have any evidence to support any of this?

You might want to read this post from the Camino blog. Jive Turkey is correct.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I have plenty of evidence to support this. Exhibit A will be the discussion that has been going on in the Camino developer list. Exhibit B might be the blog at the Camino website:

http://caminobrowser.org/blog/

Edit: See you beat me too it, Weaselboy. Sorry for the redundancy.

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
sad but true

that is why i bumped it down behind chrome. Still like it and its older engine better than the weighty firefox.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Do you have any evidence to support any of this? You seem to believe that Firefox is a company. It is not. Firefox is a browser from Mozilla Corporation. It is a cut-down version of the Mozilla's opensource Netscape/Mozilla (now Seamonkey) browser. Firefox was initially released in late 2004. Camino was released as Chimera in early 2002 making it nearly three years older than Firefox. These browsers and many others are based on Mozilla's Gecko engine.

It is inconceivable that Mozilla would restrict Gecko to a single browser. Mozilla's revenue depends on the number of identifiable Gecko browser hits. It's health depends on having as many browsers identified as Gecko as possible.

The other thing is that Gecko has competition among opensource browsers--very strong competition. Ever heard of WebKit? Apple's opensource WebKit is the basis of Safari, Chrome, and other browsers. What is more, WebKit has for quite some time now been perfectly W3C-compliant, which for whatever reason Mozilla rejects. If Mozilla tried to return to its proprietary roots, then it would be forgotten in a year--or less.

Google search "cutting off nose to spite face."

I'm kinda confused at this point...so Camino is still designed off of the Gecko engine, correct? But designed off an older version of the engine, the same one that Mozilla used to design Firefox 3.6?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have plenty of evidence to support this. Exhibit A will be the discussion that has been going on in the Camino developer list. Exhibit B might be the blog at the Camino website:

http://caminobrowser.org/blog/

Edit: See you beat me too it, Weaselboy. Sorry for the redundancy.
I stand corrected. As I said in my previous post, however, the loss is Mozilla's not yours. Windows users are satisfied with Chrome. Mac users are satisfied with Chrome and/or Safari. WebKit-based browsers now have extensions. Although Firefox has more, this situation will be mitigated by market forces.

How many people are so committed to Gecko in Camino that they will go screaming into the night if it disappeared?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.