iPhone XS Has anyone experienced light reflection on their iPhone XS/XS Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fakejobs, Dec 20, 2018.

1. fakejobs macrumors newbie

fakejobs

This problem occurs when taking pictures at night with lights. I know phone cameras tend to attract lens flare, but this seems to be far worse than lens flare, and it only happens on iPhones while the Pixel phones seem to work flawless.

Does this have to do with the coating on the iPhone camera glass?

https://i.imgur.com/xb5sgbk.jpg

2. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

It's called lens flair. It happens with all lens, less so with the $5000 professional type. It tends to be more pronounced when you point the camera directly at a strong light source.

Cell phone cameras just do not have the level of lens coatings that limit/prevent this.

3. fakejobs thread starter macrumors newbie

fakejobs

This is definitely not lens flare.

4. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Coming from the 8 Plus, the lens flare seems to be more prevalent on the newer models.

Lens flares are reflections and it’s no different in terms of the actual mechanism of these artefacts.

5. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

A lense hood eliminates flare, that’s what’s used on far better camera lenses than smartphones are equipped with. By the way, there are many threads on this forum on this very subject with examples of flare on the Pixel, S9 as well as expensive DSLR cameras.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is light reflecting off the face of the lens onto the back of the sapphire screen protector.

It is why you remove the filters off of DSLR lens at night shooting a bright objects. Even the best coated filter will do this.

7. Thai Suspended

Thai

Internal reflection from the plastic lenses under the sapphire cover. EVERY phone suffers from this.

8. one_tech macrumors regular

one_tech

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Lens hood has nothing to do with this.

10. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

A hood will not stop light from reflecting off the face of the lens onto the back of a filter.

A hood does help keeping light from striking a lens from the side, decreasing contrast.

12. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Yes, and it is noticeably worse on the X series than on previous iPhones.
    I have six brothers and sisters and so every two months on average I film a birthday cake with candles being carried into a dark room.
    The green ghosting from the candles became significantly brighter on the X relative to the 6S Plus, 5S, and 4S that I had used before, and is just as bad on the XS Max I have now.
    It’s not a huuuuuuge issue, but it was one of the first (and still one of the only!) negatives I found on the X phones.
    Don’t let people tell you that you are making it up or imagining things or that it happens on every phone. Sure, it happens on a lot of phones, but you’re not the only person to notice this, search the forum and you’ll find more.
    The fact that this minor issue is the standout problem I have with the phone just shows how incredible the X phones are in my opinion.

13. fred98tj macrumors 6502a

EVERY camera lens does this. The extent of which depends on coatings, lens quality, light source, etc.
    Even cinematic lenses costing many thousands of dollars do it.
    Here are some photos of the movie True Lies. Those reflective flares are NOT produced by my camera when I took the photos. This is how the actual movie looks.
    I can show more examples.
    I also have some video clips from some other phones (Huawei and Samsung and I think so others) showing the EXACT same thing as your phone is showing.
    Go on YouTube and look at “FlashingDroids” review of th HTC U11 as another example. The video section shows tons of flaring and reflections.
    If you’re not happy with the XS or whatever you have, the only option you have is to get another type of phone that maybe does it a little less.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2018 ---
    Here’s a video clip showing a Samsung Note 8 doing the same thing and an iPhone 7 Plus doing th same. I have video somewhere of a Huawei Mate 9 doing the same.

Attached Files:

14. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Makes it look like you’re shooting through a bus window.