has anyone found the logic in shipping order

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iWaiting, Dec 15, 2012.

1. iWaiting macrumors regular

as the title says

has anyone been able to sort out how Apple do it

some have shipped with a stated 12 Dec order date some still are stuck at the processing stage when the apparent order date was 30 Nov

is there any logic here

2. macuserpl macrumors 6502

macuserpl

Nope. Totally random I suppose.

3. bflowers macrumors 6502a

They have a really big prototype MacPro running on a brand new chip called the Chaos Engine. It is handling all orders and processing. It also happens to be the machine that they downloaded Steve's personality matrix in to for safe keeping. Think MCP from Tron.

4. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

I dont believe its random. Its something about your config and some other aspects which we dont know..
    When a new iPhone comes there are only a handful models which are already produced and rdy to ship and so on. If you look at the iMacs there many more different configs...

In the end I ordered 30/11 at 8:24 UK time and mine its still processing -_-
    WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD :D

5. aprofetto8, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

aprofetto8 macrumors regular

6. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I ordered just prior to the midnight launch. My confirmation was in by 12:02 Apple time. I saw dozens of people with identical specs, many that reported ordering after me, say that they shipped well ahead of me. I doubt that it's random, but it clearly isn't based on :
    First Come First Served
    Geography
    BTO Specs
    Any other logical sorting that we can determine in the Shipping Thread

7. pubjoe, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

pubjoe macrumors 6502

My guess...

Orders are seperated into batches on pretty much a first come first served basis (or as much as is feasible regarding customer location and BTO options). The batches are sent to the factories to be fulfilled by several departments. Some departments have lower than expected yields causing delays for some first batch orders. Some departments have faster than expected yields, and they use the excess time to reshuffle some later orders if convenient by geographic destination. There are also a few cancelations which cause reshuffles - they'll have to find an order with matching BTO options to fulfil.

The reshuffles obviously cause a little variance in processing time for some people. There's no favouritism in play, only practicalities of mass production.