Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Taptic with soothing chime? Just kidding...just kidding :)

lol - I really just wish it was a bit quieter for a given amount of force.

I suppose I should just not complain about it, as it's probably here to stay for about 5 years as is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
lol - I really just wish it was a bit quieter for a given amount of force.

I suppose I should just not complain about it, as it's probably here to stay for about 5 years as is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hear ya. It is a little clicky, I suppose. I work from a home office though and usually have music turned up to the point where I can't really hear it all that much anyway :)

dsnio

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2016
If I had the choice between the two at the same price, I'd go with the 2016. However, I have the 2015 and see no real reason to upgrade. The 2015 is lightning fast, has a perfected design which has matured for several years, plenty of ports, and great battery life. It really comes down to the ports and keyboard.
I agree with you. But the fact that it's having great battery life is wrong. It's just good. Coming from a new 15" owner. Which is the model you are having BTW?
[doublepost=1489034320][/doublepost]
I went from the 2016 to 2015, both 15", and I personally enjoy the older model more.

The new butterfly keyboard was fine for me, albeit I had used it for around 10 days before I returned it, but you only have to look at this forum and articles around the web to see that they obviously have issues with inconsistency. Battery life was fine with the one I had, though. I also have to add that there were some graphical tearing instances, such as lines and artifacts on the screen.

My 2015, after reinstalling Sierra mind you, is flawless. Yes, there are better speakers on the 2016 model (a lot better actually) and the screen looks sharper, but it's seriously not worth the money to upgrade to the latest MBP, IMO. The touchbar was useless to me, I only ever used it for the main functions (volume, brightness) and once to scrub through a YouTube video.
Was about to switch to 2016. Good to hear. What you mean by 'reinstalling'? Was the version that came out of the box buggy?

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Not at all common, and not what I've seen at the Apple Store.

Yup, you're right...what can be done with alternative Mac-Facts?

My friend was working Genius Bar in Burbank and is now in Chicago. There is no flood of keyboard issues. She says they have few returns, but a LOT of confusion over the ports in Chicago (but not in Burbank!).

R.

Reactions: Sanpete

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If you use the function keys all the time, you may prefer a model with the physical function keys. I almost never used the function keys, so I find I use the touch bar much more often. We all function a little differently and I guess I am more of a graphical person. I could never recall what each function key+whatever did for the life of me hahaha. For the few times I use the actual function keys, the fn+function key combo on the touch bar works just fine. Otherwise I like the touch bar just fine. But that is me, doesn't sound like it is you. You probably are better off without it.
[doublepost=1489030707][/doublepost]

Taptic with soothing chime? Just kidding...just kidding :)

Yeah I don't do any graphics. If I used final cut and all those softwares then i'd prolly love touch bar

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Is it worth going back to the 2015 model?

I had a 2016 MacBook Pro for almost a month and returned it and went back to a 2014 MacBook Air.
It was very much worth it.
Ports were a reason but by far the biggest reason was that I couldn't stand the new keyboard on the new MBP.

Reactions: rutrack

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I had a 2016 MacBook Pro for almost a month and returned it and went back to a 2014 MacBook Air.
Ports were a reason but by far the biggest reason was that I couldn't stand the new keyboard on the new MBP.

I guess the new keyboards are one of those things that you either get along with or you don't. After getting used to the keyboard on the 2016 model, I found that I can't stand the older keyboards. They just seem too spongy and odd to me anymore. They just don't feel right. I don't know personally, if I could go back to the old ones.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I guess the new keyboards are one of those things that you either get along with or you don't. After getting used to the keyboard on the 2016 model, I found that I can't stand the older keyboards. They just seem too spongy and odd to me anymore. They just don't feel right. I don't know personally, if I could go back to the old ones.

I literally only hear this keyboard grief on forums. My friend has worked for two Apple stores (Burbank and now Chicago) and there have been no issues with customers and keyboards, but plenty of questions about ports.

Apple did studies with the new keyboards and they were widely preferred. That's why they upgrade to them. But those who don't like them seem to want everyone to think that the keyboards are a huge failure, when it's the opposite.

I can use either keyboard, but I still like the new version much better.

R.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I literally only hear this keyboard grief on forums. My friend has worked for two Apple stores (Burbank and now Chicago) and there have been no issues with customers and keyboards, but plenty of questions about ports.

Apple did studies with the new keyboards and they were widely preferred. That's why they upgrade to them. But those who don't like them seem to want everyone to think that the keyboards are a huge failure, when it's the opposite.

I can use either keyboard, but I still like the new version much better.

R.

Like you, I can use either as well. Heck I still have an old Dell M50 out in the garage (c. 2002) that I can still use the keyboard on as well. That thing requires such a firm touch by comparison, I can't believe I used to use it all the time hahaha. But heck, it only has one job to do now (run TuneECU) so I kept it around :)

Given the choice, I much prefer the new 2016 keyboard to the old and would not go back.

Reactions: CaptRB

rutrack

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2017

Couldn't agree more, gives me the worst feeling and with all the reports of it being so fragile and failing at the slightest mention of dusty environment don't think I would ever consider it.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Couldn't agree more, gives me the worst feeling and with all the reports of it being so fragile and failing at the slightest mention of dusty environment don't think I would ever consider it.

"All the reports?"

I've seen more reports on the MacBook Air keyboard issues.

R.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Gotcha. There are a couple of small adapters, that fit more flush than a dongle cable, such as the Nonda, but obviously still not flush.

128 GB would be hard to live with, but it would be doable with an external SSD.

The Keyboard is a little noisier than past MacBook pros, but in general, I do like it better myself.

Good luck with your decision. There are always compromises in any decision, but I am sure you will figure out which ones you can best live with.
Just something to think about on that Nonda...there are quite a bit of Amazon reviewers that state that adapter has caused problems with wifi signals and in addition some are saying it's too wide and doesn't allow enough space to use both ports. I almost got that one but then decided against it when I read the reviews. I ended up getting the Aukey adapter instead and worked fine and was still pretty small but it does have a really tight fit.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Just something to think about on that Nonda...there are quite a bit of Amazon reviewers that state that adapter has caused problems with wifi signals and in addition some are saying it's too wide and doesn't allow enough space to use both ports. I almost got that one but then decided against it when I read the reviews. I ended up getting the Aukey adapter instead and worked fine and was still pretty small.

Good input and I appreciate the follow-up. I had not ordered the Nonda yet. It sounds as though I am better off avoiding that one and opting for the Aukey. Thx!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I like the way the new keyboard feels (closer to the Magic Keyboard which I really enjoy), but I really wish it was a bit quieter and/or just a more pleasant sound.

Not a matter of force, it's just kind of a louder/less pleasant noise to my ears.
I have the Apple Keyboard w/ Numeric Keypad that I use with my Mac Mini and I love that keyboard, it hardly makes any noise and I love the way it feels to type, it's velvety smooth.
[doublepost=1489103852][/doublepost]
Good input and I appreciate the follow-up. I had not ordered the Nonda yet. It sounds as though I am better off avoiding that one and opting for the Aukey. Thx!
No problem, I bought 2 of them as a set and at the time cost about $8.00, they worked perfectly with my Logitech mouse USB receiver adapter but mine was an extremely tight fit. I guess it's not really a problem since they give you 2 but I tried a couple times to remove the USB mouse receiver from the Aukey and it was really hard getting out like I was going to break the receiver. I never had any issues with wifi signals from my wifi Time Capsule unit.

generationfourth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2017
I'm "downgrading" to a 2015 15" mbp from a 2016 model.

I loved the hardware of the 2016. The keyboard, screen, speakers, and giant force touch pad. After thinking the TB was useless and digging into it more (using better touch tool) I will claim that Touch Bar is the future of "pro" computing. If Apple slaps it onto the magic keyboard I will be the first in line with up to $249 ready to spend on it.

I liked USBc and agree it's the future, but I'm on the run to so many different client sites and I don't think they are upgrading their projectors, cheap dell monitors, or tv's anytime soon.

That being said this is the most unreliable, buggy, and frustrating mac I've ever known. It's caused way too much downtime and I'm afraid I can't depend on it for day to day work. I refuse to play the lottery to get a perfectly functioning MacBook.

In a year I will revisit the touch bar model, but for now I'm happy to go back to the model that I know I can rely on. I'm also happy with the $500+ I just saved and in turn just bought a 4k monitor.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I'm "downgrading" to a 2015 15" mbp from a 2016 model.

I loved the hardware of the 2016. The keyboard, screen, speakers, and giant force touch pad. After thinking the TB was useless and digging into it more (using better touch tool) I will claim that Touch Bar is the future of "pro" computing. If Apple slaps it onto the magic keyboard I will be the first in line with up to $249 ready to spend on it.

I liked USBc and agree it's the future, but I'm on the run to so many different client sites and I don't think they are upgrading their projectors, cheap dell monitors, or tv's anytime soon.

That being said this is the most unreliable, buggy, and frustrating mac I've ever known. It's caused way too much downtime and I'm afraid I can't depend on it for day to day work. I refuse to play the lottery to get a perfectly functioning MacBook.

In a year I will revisit the touch bar model, but for now I'm happy to go back to the model that I know I can rely on. I'm also happy with the $500+ I just saved and in turn just bought a 4k monitor.

What kind of issues have you had? Since updating both the 13 and 15" I've had only a single issue remaining...

When connected to external monitors and my sound system, the volume slide vanishes on the touch-bar. Doesn't effect much as you can still adjust volume, but the slider is gone until I reboot. This issue is widely reported so I expect a fix soon.

R.

generationfourth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2017
What kind of issues have you had? Since updating both the 13 and 15" I've had only a single issue remaining...

When connected to external monitors and my sound system, the volume slide vanishes on the touch-bar. Doesn't effect much as you can still adjust volume, but the slider is gone until I reboot. This issue is widely reported so I expect a fix soon.

R.

To be very clear I purchased an Open box 2016. I understand that this maybe an edge case but I the fact that you can spend so much money on something and in turn get this is completely unacceptable to me.

• The biggest problem is a complete graphical meltdown. As soon as the dGPU kicks on I get flickering, tearing, artifacts, color bands, solid blue and red screens. It's worse when plugged into an external display. Apple claims it was an OS problem and released an update (that didn't fix this one). As someone who owned a 2011 faulty gpu MacBook I'm extremely hesitant to invest in one that is showing worse graphical issues than my old MBP.
  • Login/Keychain problems: Once a day when I wake it from sleep it will refuse to accept my password. Just realized that not once has this machine asked for touchID, and yes I have it all setup. It somehow deleted my 7+ years worth of keychain passwords. Anytime I use an app or visit a page that requires credentials I get 3 pop-ups requesting a password that could be 1 of 3: my iCloud password, my new login password that it made me create, or my old login pw. Imagine having to do this with every single pw you use email, safari, etc.
  • Probably related to above but my iCloud messaging and syncing doesn't work. Can't send messages, can't use handoff, make calls, nothing.
  • Random mouse clicks, keyboard input will randomly not work. Literally could be one field in safari, a dropdown in a website nav, or trying to grab an object in photoshop.
  • Constant beach balling and horrible performance compared to the 2011 mbp it replaced. I'm not exaggerating here.
  • Disconnecting and reconnecting to the thunderbolt display is a nightmare. Usually involves opening and closing the lid or even restarting.
  • I'm sure there are more bugs I'm forgetting.
Can I trade it in for another and be fine? probably. But I simply can't trust the 2016 models after this experience. And my hunch is they are going to be even worse in a couple of years when you get aging problems like a bad battery, gpu, ram, ssd. I can't even imagine what it'll cost to get those repaired in the 2016 design.

I know the 2012-2015's had their fair share of bad lemons. My 2011 mbp finally bit the dust last week and after 6 years I'm ok with that. I used a late 2013 rMBP that I ran hard every day for 3 years at my last job. I simply can't recall any major bugs or problems that I had with either.

It wasn't an easy decision because I do love the direction apple is going with the machine. My buddy brought over his 2015 yesterday and just looking at such a familiar stable machine helped me choose the completely safe route for now.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
To be very clear I purchased an Open box 2016. I understand that this maybe an edge case but I the fact that you can spend so much money on something and in turn get this is completely unacceptable to me.

• The biggest problem is a complete graphical meltdown. As soon as the dGPU kicks on I get flickering, tearing, artifacts, color bands, solid blue and red screens. It's worse when plugged into an external display. Apple claims it was an OS problem and released an update (that didn't fix this one). As someone who owned a 2011 faulty gpu MacBook I'm extremely hesitant to invest in one that is showing worse graphical issues than my old MBP.
  • Login/Keychain problems: Once a day when I wake it from sleep it will refuse to accept my password. Just realized that not once has this machine asked for touchID, and yes I have it all setup. It somehow deleted my 7+ years worth of keychain passwords. Anytime I use an app or visit a page that requires credentials I get 3 pop-ups requesting a password that could be 1 of 3: my iCloud password, my new login password that it made me create, or my old login pw. Imagine having to do this with every single pw you use email, safari, etc.
  • Probably related to above but my iCloud messaging and syncing doesn't work. Can't send messages, can't use handoff, make calls, nothing.
  • Random mouse clicks, keyboard input will randomly not work. Literally could be one field in safari, a dropdown in a website nav, or trying to grab an object in photoshop.
  • Constant beach balling and horrible performance compared to the 2011 mbp it replaced. I'm not exaggerating here.
  • Disconnecting and reconnecting to the thunderbolt display is a nightmare. Usually involves opening and closing the lid or even restarting.
  • I'm sure there are more bugs I'm forgetting.
Can I trade it in for another and be fine? probably. But I simply can't trust the 2016 models after this experience. And my hunch is they are going to be even worse in a couple of years when you get aging problems like a bad battery, gpu, ram, ssd. I can't even imagine what it'll cost to get those repaired in the 2016 design.

I know the 2012-2015's had their fair share of bad lemons. My 2011 mbp finally bit the dust last week and after 6 years I'm ok with that. I used a late 2013 rMBP that I ran hard every day for 3 years at my last job. I simply can't recall any major bugs or problems that I had with either.

It wasn't an easy decision because I do love the direction apple is going with the machine. My buddy brought over his 2015 yesterday and just looking at such a familiar stable machine helped me choose the completely safe route for now.

Yikes...that does sound awful and you have my sympathy.

But you may have had issues due to an open-box purchase. I always warn my friends to avoid open-box on cameras, computers and pretty much anything but frying pans!

I have two of the 13" Touch Bars and one of the 15". All are updated and working beautifully. I'm running a pair of Dell P2715K monitors at 4K@60 (usually now with the 15" touch bar as the 13" is about to replace an Air) and in desktop mode I'm using a Logitech keyboard (backlit BT). Printers are a combo Brother MFC and Epson wide format color printers (I'm a still photographer). Typically I'll tether one of my Nikon D800 or D810 cameras for shooting and I'm running PS and LR with plug-ins. I also have Final Cut Pro loaded up and have played with it a bit. So far the only issue I've had is the one with the volume slider.

Nothing I've thrown at these machines makes them blink. If I open enough RAW files on the 13" it will bog down a bit, but the 15" glides through everything. I'm a typical case. I'm working in Hollywood with clients and friends cutting video and features with these machines. So far as compliance/compatibility goes, no one is having an issue.

I think you got a bad machine, but I can fully understand why you'd be skittish.

R.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah, the problem with open box, is that there is a high probability that you are buying someone else's prior problem. They were returned for a reason, resold without repair and generally without any addition testing, and leaving it to the next buyer to confirm what the original returner said was the problem. It's just rolling the dice that someone returned a unit due to a change of mind or buyers remorse vs them having the exact same issue you just experienced.

generationfourth

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2017
Yikes...that does sound awful and you have my sympathy.

But you may have had issues due to an open-box purchase. I always warn my friends to avoid open-box on cameras, computers and pretty much anything but frying pans!

I have two of the 13" Touch Bars and one of the 15". All are updated and working beautifully. I'm running a pair of Dell P2715K monitors at 4K@60 (usually now with the 15" touch bar as the 13" is about to replace an Air) and in desktop mode I'm using a Logitech keyboard (backlit BT). Printers are a combo Brother MFC and Epson wide format color printers (I'm a still photographer). Typically I'll tether one of my Nikon D800 or D810 cameras for shooting and I'm running PS and LR with plug-ins. I also have Final Cut Pro loaded up and have played with it a bit. So far the only issue I've had is the one with the volume slider.

Nothing I've thrown at these machines makes them blink. If I open enough RAW files on the 13" it will bog down a bit, but the 15" glides through everything. I'm a typical case. I'm working in Hollywood with clients and friends cutting video and features with these machines. So far as compliance/compatibility goes, no one is having an issue.

I think you got a bad machine, but I can fully understand why you'd be skittish.

R.

That looks like a really nice monitor! I just ordered a P2715Q. If you're running 5k then I can definitely see the benefit of having the 2016.

What didn't help in my case was going into the deep depths of the internet trying to research the problems I was having. I cam across so many people with problems with the 2016 because thats what the internet is for: complaining and fixing problems. I'm sure there are so many more that are just getting along perfectly with their 2016's.

It's been one hell of a week between the old one dying in the middle of a huge project, and dealing with this dud while trying to catch up on client work. I was so close to just trying another 2016 but once I started researching the dongles and adapters I realized I don't mind paying for them but really didn't want to do all the research to figure out what I needed. Then I stumbled upon a really good deal on a cert refurb 2015 and that sealed the deal.

I definitely got a bad machine. I just unboxed the 2015 right now and having it next to the 2016 I'd say they're both very fine machines and you can't go wrong with either.

Yeah, the problem with open box, is that there is a high probability that you are buying someone else's prior problem. They were returned for a reason, resold without repair and generally without any addition testing, and leaving it to the next buyer to confirm what the original returner said was the problem. It's just rolling the dice that someone returned a unit due to a change of mind or buyers remorse vs them having the exact same issue you just experienced.

I agree that the open box was a huge gamble, but from the original owners perspective- he bought a brand new tbMBP and this is what he got. It could've happened to any of us. At the time I just needed a machine right at that second to finish a project so I gave it a try while trying to save a few bucks.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California

I made that mistake once. Maybe about 7 years ago. I bought an open box Nikon D700 camera to save 300.00. Seller assured me it had never left the store, had only been used as a demo for a week and it looked absolutely perfect.

Got it home and discovered the shutter count was over 5K, the focus light was dead and there were dead pixels on the LCD. I took it right back and bought a new one. Lesson learned.

I wouldn't buy an open box computer for half price. Time isn't just money; it's a commodity I value more than anything else. Certain refrains echo for me..
"It rarely pays not to pay."
"The poor man pays twice."
"The cheap man pays thrice."

And lord knows I've been cheap more than once!

R.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I made that mistake once. Maybe about 7 years ago. I bought an open box Nikon D700 camera to save 300.00. Seller assured me it had never left the store, had only been used as a demo for a week and it looked absolutely perfect.

Got it home and discovered the shutter count was over 5K, the focus light was dead and there were dead pixels on the LCD. I took it right back and bought a new one. Lesson learned.

I wouldn't buy an open box computer for half price. Time isn't just money; it's a commodity I value more than anything else. Certain refrains echo for me..
"It rarely pays not to pay."
"The poor man pays twice."
"The cheap man pays thrice."

And lord knows I've been cheap more than once!

R.

Best Buy is terrible for that. I purchased one of those 4K Sony Action Cams, the first one I purchased had a bad sensor. A white line appeared through the middle of all the footage. I called Sony, told them what the issue was, they confirmed it was a sensor issue and told me to exchange it, so I did. The next day I went back to Best Buy to purchase an accessory and they had a "new" Open Box x1000v camera on the shelf, where they previously had none. There is no way for them to service that camera in store. What they are hoping you do, is buy the discounted open box item, return it and then buy the full price one that you were hoping to not buy in the first place. More "bait and switch" than bargain, I think

Reactions: CaptRB
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.