Has anyone had any bad experiences with getting a Macbook Pro Refurbished from Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by van2010rulz, Jun 19, 2010.

1. van2010rulz macrumors regular

Hi everybody!
    Ha Ha im going to switch over from a Pc to a Mac in a couple of months(i think:D) Anyway the only way i can afford the Macbook Pro is to buy refurbished and i have no problem unless someone has had a huge issue with this. Now this will not turn me off buying a Macbook Pro refurb, but i just want to know before i buy. I hear they are pretty good. Just want opinions!

Tia

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I've never had an issue with the Mac refurbs, no scratches etc. I've owned 3. They are exactly the same as new other than the box. Also, unlike most refurb PCs which come with a scaled down 90 day warranty, refurb Macs come with the same 12 month warranty as new Macs.

Cheers,

3. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

4. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I have a couple of family members who bought refurbished Macs and they're quite happy with them. Work and look like they were brand new, and to date none have had any issues with the refurb stuff they have purchased.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hopefully you will find some new i5/i7 refurbs in a few months.

6. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

Yes. There is a reason they were returned and sometimes they aren't fixed. For example I purchased one and it had several dead pixels but did not meet apple's guide lines for replacement. The original purchaser returned it (as I would have) only for apple to re sell it to me. It was a mess and a pain to get apple to let me to return it although I tried to the day I got it due to it being so bad. The small savings aren't worth it to me going forward. Sure you can get lucky but there is a risk and IMHO a higher risk due to it already being returned at least once.
    Get a discounted price through apple or amazon or something.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What you mean? There are several models available in refurb store

8. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Some people actually say that REFURBs are better than NEW, because they are inspected twice, once before their first sale, and then again when they reassemble it for REFURB sale.

They meet the same inspection requirements as NEW machines, but Apple can't legally sell them marked "new" since they (or parts of them) have been owned by other people before.

9. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the great help. Now for another question. If i have an issue with the refurb do i just call Apple and ship back?

Keep the replys coming this it great help!

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Now, in 2-3 months you never know what will be available.

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

It's literally the exact same warranty as a new apple product. In their system it's marked as a refurb, and it might come in a simpler box, and parts of the machine are preowned, but both the product itself, and the services that come with it are identical to that of a new Apple product.

12. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you to all. I'm all up for saving 200$ to apply to ram or office software ect

Thanks

13. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

My first MBP was a refurb and was in pristine condition when I received it, looked as spotless as my current one (non-refurb), when out of the box.

Did have issues with it down the line when the airport card failed, however that can happen with a new computer as well.

One thing to bear in mind though, if you end up having loads of repairs Apple will only replace it if they have the exact same model in stock. Unlike new ones they won't give you an upgrade to the closest model. This is what happened to me and I ended up getting a refund.

14. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well just i will have to deal with that if it shows up.
    Thanks

15. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

As long as I know they're really great deals, same warranty and you can buy applecare...

16. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I would like to be the person with the obligatory I got a lemon from apple. I had one with visible dust under the screen and was clearly used.
    I also had one that looked great initially, but ended up needing a screen replacement.
    I do not put much stock in the inspection process.

17. palane macrumors member

Can't say anything specific about MBP, but we've regularly gone with refurbs (PowerBook, Cube, and MacBook) and had not trouble. Actually, the only Mac to die was a new MacBook that we bought for my mother-in-law. No problem getting it replaced--probably a refurb and it's still running.

BB

18. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Well that answers all of my fears. Now all i have to do is convince my parents that i can buy it with my own money!?

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

With that logic, you should never buy anything. Why to buy in 3 months if Sandy Bridge is only few months away? Waiting for new stuff is more or less useless unless you really need the extra horsepower.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

WTF, are you talking about?

I'm talking about the refurb store (which was also the link in your post) ... just because they have something now, doesn't mean they will have it in 2-3 months.

Usually it is the specific machine model/configuration you really really want that they are out of, or never seem to have.

21. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Had a few and they were all flawless. And actually, I've had more problems with new machines than any refurbished I've owned.

22. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ahh, now I got it! :p I thought you meant wait couple months because you never know what Apple is coming up with. Should have read OP's post more carefully, my bad :eek:

Current models they will have, that's pretty sure but if OP is looking for older C2D MBPs, then there is possibility that Apple has ran out of them

24. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

When you say the old C2D models does this one count? Im looking at this one.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC374LL/A?mco=MTgxMzM0Mjc