Has anyone had issues with getting caught tethering off a jailbreak app ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by antman2295, Jan 20, 2012.

1. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Also which tethering app is best, and has anyone had issues with getting caught tethering? If not I'd like to drop down to 2GB and just tether from that. Thanks!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You can not tether from the 2GB plan, you need the 4GB Data Pro plan ($45) to be able to tether, but this plan is going away tomorrow and starting Sunday will be replaced with the 5GB Data Pro Plan ($50) if you're on AT&T.

3. SurferMan macrumors 65816

What carrier are you with? If your with AT&T, their backend system can actually detect when a tethering app is being used, including the ones like PDAnet that are "supposed" to spoof the tethering APN... however plenty of people have been caught for tethering using it still.

4. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

5. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I think you will be fine, they wont even look at tiered accounts for tethering only unlimited accounts.

6. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

Sprint is the only cOmpany that can't tell where the data is coming from

7. ZipZap macrumors 601

Here's a plan if you'll ultimately be ok with being switched to the 5gig plan.

Jailbreak and tether until you're forcibly switched. Maybe they wont even flag you.

This is what I am going to do, as I want tethering more than an unlimited plan.

8. antman2295 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on At&t, so I guess I should stick with the 4GB plan, because I don't use 2GB as is, but I really like the tethering feature.

9. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I'm on Verizon and I have a paid hotspot plan. I used to not but its nice being legit and not worrying about it.

10. ap3604 macrumors 68000

So your paying $50/month for Data + Tethering? (In addition to your voice plan charges)

Sounds rough :(

11. biosci macrumors 6502a

Anyone here get caught? How much were you tethering?

12. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I used MyWi for a full 24hrs a few months back when my DSL went down. Used about .5GB for just normal usage and never heard from AT&T.

13. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

One thing I was curios about.

I was using MyWi to tether my iPad to my JB iP4 (before I recently upgraded to a non JB 4S). When I connected, though, I always connected with the Bluetooth tether feature in MyWi, instead of the the Wifi hotspot feature. I maybe used it a couple times a month, for 1-2 hours at a time. Never heard anything from AT&T about it.

Just wondering if you tether using the Bluetooth functionality vs the Wifi functionality, does it look any different coming through to AT&T? Could that be why I didn't get noticed, or do you think I just got lucky?

14. RenoG macrumors 65816

Well I got caught tethering using MyWi on ATT with unlimited plan and my average was 1g and less over the previous six months. I stopped tethering after the second warning. Oh wells:(

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you don't abuse it, you won't get caught.

Most of the people caught used wifi. I think Bluetooth is safer.

16. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Just be prepared because you will be caught. It ranges, i've seen from 50mb to 4gb, so the amount doesn't really matter.

17. Flyinb macrumors member

Ive been using MyWi for years now and have never had any issues or notifications from AT&T. Keep in mind I don't use everyday, but when I use it I slam it hard.