Has anyone had issues with getting caught tethering off a jailbreak app ?

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Also which tethering app is best, and has anyone had issues with getting caught tethering? If not I'd like to drop down to 2GB and just tether from that. Thanks!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Also which tethering app is best, and has anyone had issues with getting caught tethering? If not I'd like to drop down to 2GB and just tether from that. Thanks!
You can not tether from the 2GB plan, you need the 4GB Data Pro plan ($45) to be able to tether, but this plan is going away tomorrow and starting Sunday will be replaced with the 5GB Data Pro Plan ($50) if you're on AT&T.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
What carrier are you with? If your with AT&T, their backend system can actually detect when a tethering app is being used, including the ones like PDAnet that are "supposed" to spoof the tethering APN... however plenty of people have been caught for tethering using it still.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I think you will be fine, they wont even look at tiered accounts for tethering only unlimited accounts.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Here's a plan if you'll ultimately be ok with being switched to the 5gig plan.

Jailbreak and tether until you're forcibly switched. Maybe they wont even flag you.

This is what I am going to do, as I want tethering more than an unlimited plan.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
I'm on At&t, so I guess I should stick with the 4GB plan, because I don't use 2GB as is, but I really like the tethering feature.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I'm on Verizon and I have a paid hotspot plan. I used to not but its nice being legit and not worrying about it.
So your paying $50/month for Data + Tethering? (In addition to your voice plan charges)

Sounds rough :(

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
One thing I was curios about.

I was using MyWi to tether my iPad to my JB iP4 (before I recently upgraded to a non JB 4S). When I connected, though, I always connected with the Bluetooth tether feature in MyWi, instead of the the Wifi hotspot feature. I maybe used it a couple times a month, for 1-2 hours at a time. Never heard anything from AT&T about it.

Just wondering if you tether using the Bluetooth functionality vs the Wifi functionality, does it look any different coming through to AT&T? Could that be why I didn't get noticed, or do you think I just got lucky?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Well I got caught tethering using MyWi on ATT with unlimited plan and my average was 1g and less over the previous six months. I stopped tethering after the second warning. Oh wells:(

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Anyone here get caught? How much were you tethering?
If you don't abuse it, you won't get caught.

One thing I was curios about.

I was using MyWi to tether my iPad to my JB iP4 (before I recently upgraded to a non JB 4S). When I connected, though, I always connected with the Bluetooth tether feature in MyWi, instead of the the Wifi hotspot feature. I maybe used it a couple times a month, for 1-2 hours at a time. Never heard anything from AT&T about it.

Just wondering if you tether using the Bluetooth functionality vs the Wifi functionality, does it look any different coming through to AT&T? Could that be why I didn't get noticed, or do you think I just got lucky?
Most of the people caught used wifi. I think Bluetooth is safer.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Just be prepared because you will be caught. It ranges, i've seen from 50mb to 4gb, so the amount doesn't really matter.

Flyinb

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010
Ive been using MyWi for years now and have never had any issues or notifications from AT&T. Keep in mind I don't use everyday, but when I use it I slam it hard.