Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
So I just ordered the Pencil by FiftyThree (same company that brought us Paper, the app). The reviews from the last few days look great, and I am really excited.

I would never consider trading my iOS tablet (currently a rMini) for a Microsoft surface, but I will admit that I have been jealous of the stylus that comes with the surface pro models.

After reading the reviews and looking into the Pencil, I discovered that the creators are actually ex-Microsoft employees who worked on the Courier project a few years ago, etc.

I was also considering the Adonit Jot Script stylus that was just released, but the reviews seem mixed and even lean towards the worse end of the spectrum. I have also been recommend the Livescribe 3, but the price and the fact that it needs a normal paper notebook to function were a turn off. I will report back with my experience when my Pencil arrives. Until then, if anyone has experience with the Pencil stylus, feel free to chime in.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
I find this stylus intriguing. My biggest problem with it is that the Bluetooth enabled features only work with Paper by 53 app, which has a very limited feature set. For example, I've been reading the support pages and it looks as if even after all the in-app purchases you still can't control line width or eraser width. That seems so basic.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I'm staying away from this one. I always thought the press the Paper app got was not at all fitting the app itself, and I have a feeling this is no different

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
As a regular dumb capacitive stylus.

No active BLE features such as palm rejection.

This is true, but FiftyThree has released SDK for other app creators to use the technology in their apps. So I am hopeful that, like the Adonit Bluetooth styluses/ styli (sp?), other popular note taking apps will follow by supporting this cool little stylus.

EDIT: SDK = software development kits, in case any passive readers weren't clear on that.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This is true, but FiftyThree has released SDK for other app creators to use the technology in their apps. So I am hopeful that, like the Adonit Bluetooth styluses/ styli (sp?), other popular note taking apps will follow by supporting this cool little stylus.

EDIT: SDK = software development kits, in case any passive readers weren't clear on that.

Really! Awesome. It might be going on my xmas wishlist.

----------

This says. "would like to", not has released.

What’s more — the FiftyThree team would like to release an SDK that would allow third-party developers to also take advantage of the device.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/19/fiftythree-pencil/

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
So I just ordered the Pencil by FiftyThree (same company that brought us Paper, the app). The reviews from the last few days look great, and I am really excited.

I would never consider trading my iOS tablet (currently a rMini) for a Microsoft surface, but I will admit that I have been jealous of the stylus that comes with the surface pro models.

After reading the reviews and looking into the Pencil, I discovered that the creators are actually ex-Microsoft employees who worked on the Courier project a few years ago, etc.

I was also considering the Adonit Jot Script stylus that was just released, but the reviews seem mixed and even lean towards the worse end of the spectrum. I have also been recommend the Livescribe 3, but the price and the fact that it needs a normal paper notebook to function were a turn off. I will report back with my experience when my Pencil arrives. Until then, if anyone has experience with the Pencil stylus, feel free to chime in.

I have been looking into getting this as a gift for someone. Can you please do a review and post photos when you get yours. I am interested to see how it does with writing and note taking on other apps. Thanks.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Has anyone invested in Pencil by FiftyThree?

This stylus has perked my interest a bit. However, it doesn't seem like it's out and thus no review videos or articles. This probably means that once it's out the "Introductory Pricing" is going to go away and the price of the stylus will go up.

Should I jump the gun and get this stylus? I mostly use my iPad for sketching anyway. I am going to get the TruGlide Apex for writing in the future once it's out.

mrdoeboix12

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
Are there any reviews for this yet? Sounds awesome. Would make a good gift for the wife since she likes doodling on her iPad.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I thought about it, but didn't like the fact that the tip was soo big. I use my stylus a lot for note taking and don't think it would be good for that due to the size. I purchased the LYNKtec TruGlide Pro Stylus & Artist Paintbrush Tip yesterday on Black Friday. They had a 50% off sale (I think it is still going on) so it was only 20. This will give me the opportunity to write and draw/paint. They also have very good reviews.

http://www.lynktec.com/Shop-TruGlide-Microfiber-Tip-Styluses-s/1833.htm

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
I just want to warn people who are looing at this stylus that the media saturation for it has been extremely high. It's been all over every site out there, to a much larger degree than other styluses. This means that you have people who more or less have no experience with styluses suddenly reblogging information about this specific one, making it seem like it's the bee's knees.

I'm not saying it's not good - I actually have no clue if it is or not. I just want to warn people to be a bit careful with products that are this hyped.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
I just want to warn people who are looing at this stylus that the media saturation for it has been extremely high. It's been all over every site out there, to a much larger degree than other styluses. This means that you have people who more or less have no experience with styluses suddenly reblogging information about this specific one, making it seem like it's the bee's knees.

I'm not saying it's not good - I actually have no clue if it is or not. I just want to warn people to be a bit careful with products that are this hyped.

The same thing is happening with a ton of products now, though. Playstation 4, Xbox One, iPad mini with retina, etc. Heck, I saw an article on CNN Money reviewing (not talking solely about market projections) for the new Xbox. I've seen reviews in a men's health magazine about a new car.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't think these reviews deserve any EXTRA special warning or criticisms. All review are subject to biases and experiences of the author.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The device looks cool but for writing the tip seems too blunt. This is an artists pencil in my opinion

laela

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I wouldn't invest in it. I can't see the price going up :D

LOL, exactly what I was going to say. Call it "splurging" not "investing".

If sketching is your thing *and* you like Paper, then it seems like a no brainer to treat yourself to one of these...

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I thought about it, but didn't like the fact that the tip was soo big. I use my stylus a lot for note taking and don't think it would be good for that due to the size. I purchased the LYNKtec TruGlide Pro Stylus & Artist Paintbrush Tip yesterday on Black Friday. They had a 50% off sale (I think it is still going on) so it was only 20. This will give me the opportunity to write and draw/paint. They also have very good reviews.

http://www.lynktec.com/Shop-TruGlide-Microfiber-Tip-Styluses-s/1833.htm

Great deal that was. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.