Has anyone made a photography website in iWeb?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dman77, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Dman77 macrumors member

I'm debating which route to go down, whether to do the Photium/Clikpic thing or try to create my own website in iWeb 09. As an amateur, my images are nothing special but I'd still like a decent looking site to showcase my better stuff on, but I'm not too keen on the type of sites you get with the iWeb templates.

I'm just wondering if anyone's managed to create something that moves away from the 'traditional' iWeb look, and if so whether they'd mind sharing their efforts on here?

2. joro macrumors 68020

joro

When I first started my business I did use iWeb to create the site; however, I found quickly that it was quite clunky when it came to managing hundreds of images. I have tried a couple of different websites but I ended up going with bludomain who makes flash websites for photographers & design types. Their basic website was $100 and another $100 for yearly hosting. I’ve been satisfied with them and I also done different designs which have all worked seamlessly.

Back to your question though, I think iPhoto could be used for a beginning website but, as mentioned above, I was constantly plagued by slow downloads – or picture viewing – and while the interface was super easy, it didn’t provide what I needed.

3. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I created mine in iWeb. I have a couple tips that will help in making the pages load quickly.

• Disable "Optimize images on import" in preferences as it reduces the image quality of pictures to a unusable quality. Instead when you export your images size them to the exact size they will be on you page and set the jpeg quality to a acceptable level. 7-8 for me.

• When you have published your site to a host open it in Safari and use the "Show Web Inspector" in the develop menu to show the files sizes and how long they take to download. I discovered that one of my images was 300% too big resulting in the page loading slowly.

• Also don't put all of your images on one page. Create seperate pages for different themes. This will speed up loading.

***EDIT: May 5, 2010***

I have had a lot of emails regarding my site and how I implemented flash galleries and due to the site I used for instrutions been taken down, I thought that I would add the instruction here. Here goes:

My iWeb site in general:

The site is and designed created in iWeb with the flash galleries for photos being AutoViewer.

iWeb Theme:

The theme used is custom made as I was able to create exactly what I wanted without having to "fight" with one of the pre-made themes.

Flash Gallery/AutoViewer:

AutoViewer is a free flash gallery made by SimpleViewer and on their site you'll find different types of galleries that you can use. AutoViewer just worked for me.

How I create my AutoViewer Galleries:

I use Aperture 3 for my image editing however I use the Lightroom 3 Beta for my AutoViewer creating as it has more options and is much easily to use than the Aperture plugging available or the text based customization provided with AutoViewer.

Regardless of what way you create you're galleries, make sure that when you export your images for the gallery that they are sized exactly (600x400 pixels) how you want them to be on your website. This is to save every extra kilobyte of bandwidth when loading the webpage.

Once you have created the gallery and are happy with it, upload it to your server. I create a folder name "Flash" that I place all of my galleries in for the ease of finding and changing them. To make sure that you're gallery is uploaded, enter the path to the index.html file in the galleries folder. Example: http://stefanfeldmannphotography.com/Flash/Sports/index.html Note the URL as you will need it later.

Adding the Gallery to your iWeb site:

The flash gallery is added using iframes. First, drag a HTML Widget from the iWeb inspector onto the page you want your gallery.

Then in the gray box that appears add this code:

Code:
    <iframe src="http://YourSite.com/FlashGalleryFolder/index.html" width="900" height="650" scrolling="no" style="border:none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Change the YourSite path to the one that you noted earlier. You can also change the width, height, scrolling and style to your preference. It your gallery loads inside iWeb, the above code is correct.

It is crucial that your galleries files be on a server not on your local machine as otherwise they won't appear in iWeb when you are creating your site.

So there you have it, how to add a flash gallery to your iWeb site.

iWeb Extras:

While I'm at it ill talk about what programs I use to enhance my iWeb site.

I use iWebSEOTool by Rage to add search engine optimization as well as custom page titles and other features.

I use iTweak to add a php contact to my website as well as to add iPhone redirection. The iPhone redirection is added via the search/replace function using this code:

Code:
    type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    if((navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i))||(navigator.userAgent.match(/iPod/i))){
    var question = confirm("Would you like to view our iPhone Site? The main site contains flash galleries.")
    if (question){
    window.location = "http://www.YouriPhoneSite.com";
    }else{}}
    //-->
    </script>

Thats that. I hope it helps all of those working with iWeb to create their place on the internet!

4. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

like the site, clean yet effective.

5. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

6. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

It wasn't too bad for me. Home page loaded alright, the portfolio page is what took the longest. i am using FF by the way.

7. Dman77 thread starter macrumors member

Great site, that's just the sort of thing I'm looking to achieve, I really like your layout there. Maybe I'll give it a go in iWeb then, I haven't got enough 'quality' images for a full site yet so I've got a lot of time for a work in progress until I'm happy to go live.

8. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I agree, it’s a very visually appealing website; however, I have to concur with the others that it loaded very, very slow for me at work (which is apparently on a T1 connection though I highly doubt it!:rolleyes:).

9. Dman77 thread starter macrumors member

One other question, to save me having a watermark across my pictures, what's the best size/resolution to have pics on a website to stop people from being able to so anything with them?

10. anubis macrumors 6502a

I started out with iWeb but quickly decided it was way too clunky for my tastes. I opened a Smugmug account and couldn't be happier. For $60/year I get unlimited photo hosting (storage and transfer) and a fully customized site

Ain't gonna happen... Unless you're planning on degrading the images to the point of being unrecognizable, you'll have to plan on some people copying the images

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I used iWeb '08 and bought a domain from Google for $7 a year. Not entirely professional looking imo, but it gets the job done. Considering that I am not a web designer and know zero html, I am glad for iWeb... mywavepix.com

12. ArtandStructure macrumors member

The photos on my site are about 270px by 405px. It is enough to see on screen but not enough to print even a decent 4x6.

I use no copyright or watermark. I hate to mar the image.

At that size it also can't be blown up reasonably for a desktop so it leaves only people downloading an image because they like it and want to view it on their computer. That is fine with me. Let them enjoy it.

If I ever find one on a site somewhere it won't be difficult to prove my copyright ownership and proceed from there; my original is far larger and more detailed than theirs. ;)

All the best,

Jesse Widener
    Art and Structure

13. ukuleleman macrumors member

Photography Website

I started to design my own website using iWeb and, frankly, I was pleased with what I was getting, then I discovered Zenfolio and it all changed for me.
    I pay them about £20.00 a year ($33.00 ish?) and for that I get what I consider to be a fantastic site to display my pictures.

I get so many choices about how they are displayed that there are too many to write here, different backgrounds, colours, layouts etc, for instance, I have different colours and styles for different albums and I can also sell my photos commercially from the site (not that anybody wants to buy my stuff, but if I was a better photographer, they might and could)

To my mind it's not worth the effort to build your own, don't take my word for it, have a look at my site, just don't expect too much photography wise.
    http://ukuleleman.zenfolio.com

14. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I have been looking for a site to host a portfolio myself, and Zenfolio does look nice but I have a few questions. It takes two clicks of the back button to move from an image back to the gallery it came from. That may be a glitch on my part. If you want to sell your photos, why do you allow a download of a high rez original for free? It's in your right-click options.

Dale

15. Razeus macrumors 603

You're right, your shots aren't all that great, but Zenfolio is a good photo sharing website. I use Flickr. I think sights like these are for those who want to post photos but don't want to have someone make them a full-blown flash site.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

What were you hoping to accomplish by posting this?

17. Razeus macrumors 603

???What? I was agreeing with a statement that he, himself, made about the state of his shots and the benefits of Zenfolio. Is that a crime?

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Just seemed like a silly/useless thing to reiterate.

19. techie4life macrumors 6502

You can check out my site. I'm still an amateur, but I have about 6 paid shoots coming up!

www.zauche.com

Enjoy!

20. Razeus macrumors 603

I'll be sure to ask your permission for what I can and can't reiterate from now on...:rolleyes:

21. iGary Guest

iGary

You can do whatever you want. I was just trying to figure our what you were trying to accomplish by saying what you did.

It's like someone saying "I'm ugly" and you saying "Yeah, you are ugly."

Anyway...

I just started using Zenfolio and happen to like it quite a bit. I found iWeb somewhat limited. Plus, Zenfolio handles fulfillment and billing.

22. ukuleleman macrumors member

1. Don't use the back button, click on the album name on the left.

2. I don't particularly want to sell my pictures, they are probably not good enough for commercial interests anyway, but if my friends, or anybody else wants a copy, who cares, certainly not me:)

23. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

As was previously mentioned, it loads slowly. But one other thing: GET RID OF THE MUSIC!!!!!! You have no idea how bad that is. If I were looking at your website to hire you I would probably close the tab out annoyance and never go back. Auto-playing music is evil!

Sorry if that's a big harsh, but never have music play. Go post that on the Web Design forum and you'd be torn apart.

You do have very nice pictures, I love the one of the guy touching the "bean" in Chicago (I can never remember what it's actual name is).

Also, back on topic.
    iWeb is good but make sure you don't have the endless pile of link up at the top. It gets cluttered really quickly.