Has anyone purchased the Dell U2711 Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Feb 15, 2010.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm going to buy a new macbook pro and monitor soon. I really want a 27" monitor and if Apple releases a 27" Cinema Display with the new macbooks, then I'll just get that. Otherwise, this U2711 is looking pretty fantastic. Has anyone bought it? Curious to hear some impressions from fellow mac users, if so. Here is a review. CNet has a video review someplace too.

2. ozbody macrumors newbie

Yes, it works very well. I've connected a 2009 Macbook up to my new Dell U2711 monitor, running at 2560 x 1440, 60hz. The Dell is a stunning monitor. The easiest way is to get a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable which is available from Circuit Assembly (http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-to-Displayport-Adapter-Cable.html). I found that I could then use the Dell U2711 as an extended monitor running at 2560 x 1440 connected to the Macbook. If I tried to mirror the Macbook to the monitor then the U2711 would drop to a lower resolution or crop the display so that less of the screen is used (obviously this is less than desirable). They way I found to get around this is to leave the Macbook closed and use an external keyboard and mouse (in my case these are the wireless versions). Now I can run the U2711 at full resolution (2560 x 1440) with Macbook fully visible on it.

Hope this helps.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm glad to hear that it can power such a high resolution with nothing but the mini-displayport to displayport adaptor. I'm really looking forward to picking this monitor up when I buy my new MacBook Pro!

4. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Ordered mine today after getting tired of waiting a few years for Apples new Cinema Displays to update!

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

/jealous

I'll see how much I can get locally for my ACD and if it's worth the time to upgrade to the U2711. I drool over those iMac screens so it would be quite a treat.

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

Apparently Dell has simply crammed the scaler and OSD from the Dell 3008WFP because it has the same problems, namely excessive amount of connections (who the hell needs S-Video and Composite these days?) and several second lag when switching inputs or resolutions. I find the lag on my 3008WFP rather annoying since I switch between my MBP (connected via mini-DP -> DP cable) and PC.

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well, I was going to get the U2711... but the Apple 24" LED display went back on the refurb store for $599, and I had to pull the trigger on it!

8. alexh123drum macrumors member

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

Really? This is considered a problem now?

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

When you have two computers connected to it, yes it is. I have my MBP and my desktop PC connected to it. MBP via Displayport, PC via dual link DVI.

Due to both the annoying switching lag and the fact that I have to scroll thru all the useless connectors (or thru the clunky menus in the OSD) makes it a bit of a chore.

A display of this size and resolution is hardly ideal for S-Video or composite or component because those connections give somewhat crappy image quality even on small displays so a display this big will be just a blur. Not to mention there are few devices that actually use those connectors.

VGA, 2xDVI, Displayport and HDMI (even though the HDMI only goes up to 1920x1200) would've been more than sufficient. I suspect Dell included the rest only for more impressive spec lists.

But my real beef is that they didn't bother improving the control circuitry for the much newer U2711.

11. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Which are you talking about? My SP2309W runs @ 2048x1152 just fine w/ HDMI

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

The Dell 3008WFP. I assume the U2711 has the same issue.

13. rhyx macrumors 6502

I should have a U2711 coming in shortly. I'll be sure to post a review once it comes in. A few other forums online have reviews up already.

14. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I see... you're speaking of a monitor limitation, not an HDMI limitation.

15. jcondago macrumors newbie

ozbody,
    Did you just use a mini Display Port to Display Port cable to get the U2711 to output at its highest resolution (2560 x 1440) from a macbook pro? So you don't need a dual link DVI adapter like you would if you connect to the 30" Apple Cinema HD?

I've got an early 2009 macbook pro and was thinking of buying the Dell U2711. However, I can't return the monitor once I purchase it so I want to make super sure it'll work.

Thanks!

16. playalistic macrumors regular

Yeah, that'll work just fine!

17. ozbody macrumors newbie

Hi, all I used was the Mini Displayport to Displayport cable. No dual link DVI was required. Displayport outputted to the U2711 at its highest resolution.

18. billib macrumors member

billib

DUAL LINK or NOT

Hi ozbody, so the Dell can be driven to DUAL LINK Resolution
    without using a DUAL LINK setup. WOW, that Mini Displayport
    is something else!!! Wikipedia says it can drive 2560 x 1600.

THANKS!!!!

19. ozbody macrumors newbie

I'll try to upload a photo of the setup....

Attached Files:

20. billib macrumors member

billib

MiniDisptsy port too Display Port Cable??????

Ok, I'm confused :eek: (I confuse easy)!
    Your link in post #2 is for.
    The MiniDisplay Port too Displsay Port &
    Another poster has a link to the Belkin
    MiniDisplay Port to MiniDisplay Port.

Your using the MDP too DP to drive 2600 x 1600.
    Does the other MDP too MDP also drive 2600 x 1600?
    I'm guessing MDP to DP is 1900 x 1200.

Have I got that right? :confused:
    Does the Dell Display even have a DP or
    does the Dell only have a MDP?

Don't you just LOVE saying the same thing
    over and over and over again! If it wasn't
    for that other post and link I wouldn't be
    asking.

Thanks!!

21. ozbody macrumors newbie

Goodness, even you question is confusing.

Here's a synopsis of what I did.

1. I had a 2009 MacBook already (this is NOT the Pro version).
    2. I then bought the Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from Circuit Assembly.
    3. I then bought the Dell U2711 monitor.
    4. I then plugged the cable into the Mccbook Mini DisplayPort and the Dell U2711 DisplayPort (the U2711 does NOT have a Mini DisplayPort.

Then I got the U2711 display to run at 2560x1440, based upon the setup in my first post (mirroring using an external keyboard and mouse).

That's it! Pretty simple.

I have no idea re the other resolutions or equipment mentioned in your post.

Good luck.....

22. billib macrumors member

billib

Mini Display Port "101"

Thank you so much!!!
    I apologize for being a P-I-T-Ass!!!!!!!!
    You couldn't have made it any clearer.
    Thanks again.

23. dyn macrumors 68030

The Dell monitors have the standard DisplayPort connector (they actually use DisplayPort natively so you definitely want to use DisplayPort instead of HDMI or DVI), but Macs require the mini DisplayPort connector. The protocol being used is the exact same thing (DisplayPort), only the connectors are different which is why you only need a cable with a standard DisplayPort connector on one end and a mini DisplayPort connector on the other end. DisplayPort (the protocol, not the connector) can output resolutions of 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 without any problems no matter what connector you use.

There is only one difference: the mini DisplayPort connector does not support audio which the standard DisplayConnector does. I don't really consider that to be a problem because it is used for computer displays which mostly (as in 99% of the displays) lack audio. The ones who have audio use a 3,5mm jack for that.

Dell displays are really great because they have great TFT panels and they use DisplayPort among DVI and HDMI (aka multipurpose displays!). The only downside is the slowness of the display when switching outputs and when waking from standby but not all of them have this problem (the 3008WFP does :().

24. billib macrumors member

billib

MiniDisplatPort MUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for such clear explanation!!!
    Its a shame it doesn't carry sound.
    Who knows, maybe a future hardware change by Apple
    will provide that.

25. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

How about those reviews of the U2711? Please!!! I am considering purchasing one.