has anyone returned tsmc phone for a samsung replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EdisEdward, Nov 25, 2015.

1. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

i have a tsmc phone right now but i have some dust particles under my camera lens. affects some of my photos, but not a huge issue. im thinking of getting a replacement but dont want a samsung chip. thoughts?

also dont need to hear "oh not this again....tsmc/samsung is the same bro"" or anything. what i want is a tsmc replacement phone. dont care what your opinion is on which chip is better.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

It's a crapshoot but you are more likely to get a better response in one of the (many) existing threads.

Also, I'm not positive that dust under the camera lens is currently cause for a unit replacement.

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I would say there's no guarantees what you'll get, and if you're past your 14 day return window (or holiday window, if applicable). So if the replacement doesn't have the right chip, you'll be out of luck. Since it's not actually, you know, defective...

Depending on the number of Samsung returns, guess what's happening to your odds of getting a refurbished Samsung chipped phone? Not sure if they're doing refurb phone replacements yet or not, but they soon will. And all those returned phones aren't getting tossed in the garbage...

C

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

More likely to get a Samsung now I'm afraid.
    I've got one...

5. viperGTS macrumors 65816

You'd have to be within the 14 day return window, unless you get a friendly Genius who will let you swap your phone because it has the Samsung one. YMMV.

6. EdisEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

damn, anyone have received a replacement that has tsmc here before?

7. viperGTS macrumors 65816

All three of my phones had a Samsung. Seems like the TSMC ones are rarer or I just got unlucky. :(

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

People posted a few times that they received TSMC chipped phones in the past. Even the people who were returning them specifically for that reason. But there was also a lot of people who didn't Unfortunately (for you), there's no way to pick that out until you install an app that can show you the chip.

C

9. EdisEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks. i will update you guys how my luck goes later today

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Good luck!

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Oh, not this again

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Why not try to just ask them if they'll repair the lense? Should be an easy swap I would think?

13. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Its interesting how things sometimes just work themselves out!

14. EdisEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got my new phone. It is a Samsung :( they couldn't just fix the camera. Le sigh

15. viperGTS macrumors 65816

sorry to hear that :(

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You'll have to let us know if you notice any performance or battery life differences (between the two).

17. EdisEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

I will let u guys know. My tsmc phone was amazing and lasted all day with 30 to 40% left with average use.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

oh what a drama ! ........ enjoy your phone, mate, it doesn't matter which manufacturer made its SoC. If you are not happy about performances, comparing it with your previous device, tell Apple about it asking for a replacement unit.

19. ABC5S macrumors 68040

What he said above. I have a Samsung and it lasts all day and sometimes a few days of normal use. Different settings, different usage, longer or shorter time on phone and we all well have different battery life. Some people go nuts over this and its just plain silly, not to mention OCD

20. Pnr2020 macrumors member

Pnr2020

Oh my god seriously does it really matter which chip. You are talking half hour to an hour in battery. Just enjoy your phone it really doesn't make a difference. I got Samsung chip and am very happy with it great performance and battery

21. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Nope, did not return it.

Still the same phone to me.

22. skiltrip macrumors 68030

It is worth the hassle of repeatedly returning in order to get one or the other? Heck, no.

But if someone put two iPhones in front of you and said one lasts 10 hours and one lasts 11 hours, which would you pick?

At the end of the day, it's perfectly normal to be curious about the difference in these chips and to discuss it on a forum like this.

23. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Way things are going I would not be surprised if Mothers returned their new born babies someday because of small imperfection

24. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Exactly. Give me the one with an hour's extra battery please. In a year's time it will still give the usage time of the other one when it was brand new. I have a Samsung chip btw.

25. HEK, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

removed