Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Like it or not Apple has phones AND tables getting ready to give them a run for their money! I like my iP4, too, but there is some really great stuff heading our way and I am not so stupid to not look and change if I want!

I am tired of Jobs keeping me tied to iTunes. I want to do what I want and not what Steve will let me do!

Fight the power man!

Seriously, why you hating on iTunes bro?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I used to use both a Moto Droid and an HTC Incredible. For me, Android still has too many rough edges. The hardware is nice, but the OS is still a work-in-progress. For me, one big showstopper is the complete and total lack of time zone support in the calendar. There's absolutely no way to either specify a time zone for an entry or make it respect the local time zone. iOS has no problem with this, but there's no support at all for time zones on Google Calendar, and, thus, Android's native calendar app.

A few months ago I traveled from EST to PST with my Incredible and got completely screwed up. Everything - current, future and past calendar entries - were shifted 3 hours back, and no way to adjust.

There's a 12 page bug report on the Google Android dev. site, going all the way back to Android 1.6. I'm told it's been addressed in Android 2.3... but guess how many phones have it. Exactly 1.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I occasionally go into the AT&T store to see what they have to offer. The new phones are really nice, but I can't see myself switching from the iPhone. First of all, I've invested too much money in iTunes and the App Store. And second, I think switching over would be exciting at first, but once the novelty wares off I'll miss the simplicity of my iPhone.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
traded my 3GS for an Inspire 4G yesterday at Costco for $80. the prices seemed to be $50 or free for the no-flash android 2.1 phones and $100 or so for the 2.2 models.

That's the problem with Android though. Why would you even want a phone that doesn't even run the most current OS when you buy it! I shouldn't have to pay more for the most recent OS.

That's one thing you have to give to Apple, with a smaller pipeline they support phones for much longer than other manufacturers (especially since they make the hardware and the OS). For example, a 3GS runs the most recent iOS (pretty much) as well as an iPhone 4, and you can be pretty much guaranteed that it'll continue to run the newest OS up until sometime next year (without paying for it too). Hell, even the 2008 3G runs 4.2.1, even though it won't be as fast as a 3GS or 4.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I honestly feel apple is losing it's value for product.

Meaning, you can get a comprable phone for a $100 one guy said on here for the HTC 4G inspire.

iPhone 4 is the latest and greatest fashion statement. My ex - GF was all over mine.

But like with computers, can't you get an i5 for a cheaper price than an i5 Mac?

The funny thing, is that I'm typing this on my iPhone 4 right now.

But it just seems like in the future, if not today, iPhone will cost more but other devices that cost less will be as good.

Maybe even better.

For now, I'm keeping iPhone 4 because

1. Its slick, eye catching, & fashionable.

2. The display is the best in the business. LOVE the retina display

But in the future, if these two criteria change, I might be on android. We shall see.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
That's the problem with Android though. Why would you even want a phone that doesn't even run the most current OS when you buy it! I shouldn't have to pay more for the most recent OS.

That's one thing you have to give to Apple, with a smaller pipeline they support phones for much longer than other manufacturers (especially since they make the hardware and the OS). For example, a 3GS runs the most recent iOS (pretty much) as well as an iPhone 4, and you can be pretty much guaranteed that it'll continue to run the newest OS up until sometime next year (without paying for it too). Hell, even the 2008 3G runs 4.2.1, even though it won't be as fast as a 3GS or 4.

other than iAd my old 3G didn't really get much with the 4 upgrade. and almost every app still works on iOS 3.1.3.

same with android. i'm on 2.2 and will probably get 2.4 a few months after it comes out. 3 is coming later this year and by the time apps come out that require something later than 2.2 i'll be eligible for an upgrade.

there is no reason to be on the latest version except to make yourself feel better

2.2 is the current OS since 2.3 is for the Nexus One. 2.4 will be the general consumer release on phones later this year.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
read the forum on android central

dual core CPU but cheapo display and the camera is worse than the inspire. and there are no apps that support dual core yet except for a few ones in motoblur. only reason to get it is either for bragging rights or it's cheaper than the iphone 4

going to look at it, but unless it's the same price as my inspire or maybe a $10 difference i'll probably won't trade

superspartan

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
I tried the Inspire for 3 days and returned it for an iPhone 4. Granted, I'm an Apple fanboy and have owned every generation of iPhone, but I was ready for something new and gave it a fair shot. Overall, it was a good phone, but Android is still waaaay too rough around the edges for me.

A few Inspire / Android observations for anyone thinking about jumping ship:

- Build quality / fit & finish was good, but not in the same league as the IP4. (Battery door is nearly impossible to open, some gaps between sim slot...)
- Battery life was okay by smartphone standards, but the IP4 blows it out of the water. I always felt I had to limit my Inspire usage to get through the day without a recharge. I never have that concern on the iPhone.
- Android is buggy. Android is not always intuitive. Apps crash.
- The Android Market has some interesting things you'd never see in the App Store, but in general the Apple ecosystem is stronger by leaps and bounds (especially games). I noticed even for apps available on both platforms, the iPhone equivalent usually had more polish.

A few things I did like...

- HTC has done a nice job with Sense. I found it pleasing to look at and use, and it was a reskinning that genuinely improved the Android experience.
- Widgets and consolidated notifications are cool. I hope Apple can figure these things out.

Was it worth shelling out a $35 restocking fee just to learn that I'll always be a slave to Apple? Probably not, but it really made me appreciate the elegance of the iPhone once I handled my new shiny 4.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
As far as I know, there's NO phone that's the "latest and greatest" for 1 year, much less 5 years... For a while there last year, Android was changing monthly, with the new "latest and greatest".
iPhone was for the first several years. There's finally some real competition though and the iPhone is starting to look... quaint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.