Has anyone seen this low memory message?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Aug 10, 2008.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I was playing one of the solitaire games today and got a strange memory message - one I had not seen previously. It came up a couple of times so I simply shut down then fired up my iPhone 3G. I have received no subsequent messages. I am also not in the habit of recycling my iPhone on any sort of a regular basis.

HawaiiMacAddict

Attached Files:

2. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I got the same message last night playing the same game. But that was the only time EVER.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Do you both have 16gb phones on 2.0.1? How much free space on your phones?

I play the same game and haven't had the issue so far. 16gb, 2.0.1.

edit. just read another post in another thread, the SAME app causing the same message.

no wonder it's free. we're the beta testers.

4. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I got the same message too, also playing that solitare game. I had never seen it before. I wonder if it's specific to that game. Has anyone seen the message in any other program? It could be something they wrote into the program to prevent it from just crashing when memory got tight.

5. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I saw the same message while I was playing Aurora Feint. The iPhone has limited memory and when it runs out it will reboot.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I don't think that it's something Apple programmed into the iPhone, but something that the developer added into the app. If the iPhone runs low on memory, it would let the app crash and then automatically take you back to the home screen.

8. atluten macrumors 6502

I also get the message while playing Aurora Feint. So far, it is the only app that gives me this kind of alert. Unfortunately it also occurs nearly every time I use it so it's getting to be a little annoying.

9. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

This is new in 2.0.1. Instead of just crashing like before, now you get a message, so you'll feel better about it when it crashes.

Sure, they could have just fixed he memory leak issue that all apps have, but Microsoft has done so well with pop up warnings, Apple thought they'd give it a try.

10. Linuss macrumors regular

Not true.

I'm in 2.0, jailbroken and unlocked, and I recieved the message tonight as well when playing Auroa Feint.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Me three!

12. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I actually removed that app from my iTunes and then synced with my iPhone. When I synced it said it could not remove to stupid app off the phone. I had to add the app back to iTunes from the iPhone, remove the app again, and then sync. I won't use that program again.

13. maiden16tiger macrumors member

i had the same problem when i was playing Aurora Feint lol... and it gaved me the same message

14. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I had the same message with the new Aurora Feint.

15. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

My mistake then. I had both of those apps pre 2.0.1, and hadn't seen that message before.

I do wonder if this is built into these two apps, or if it's built into the OS.

16. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

got it today for the first time on Aurora Feint:eek:

17. kamiboy macrumors 6502

****** apps like those running out of memory is due to lazy and terrible programming. When iPhone OS discovers some gluttonous app has been taking too big a bite out of the memory pool it is will send a cease and desist message to the app, then the app should shut down. I am not sure if the OS or the app shows that message, either way it doesn't matter.

**** like this was what Steve Jobs was affraid of would happen if Apple allowed custom apps on the iPhone.

18. tsouts macrumors newbie

same with me. After the update of Aurora I had low memory problems!!!

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sort of true. When the iPhone is running low in available memory it posts a notification to the app. What the app does is up to it:

• It can ignore the message totally. This is not a good idea as if the phone runs out of memory it will most likely reboot.
    • It can display a message like this to the user. By returning to the home screen and restarting the app it's memory usage is reset. For the developer this is the easiest option but it's still pretty poor.
    • It can free up some memory. Most likely the app has caches or objects that it has allocated and is not using right now (but has kept around for re-use and better performance). These can be freed and everything will be dandy. This is the best option.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Windows Mobile has a similar setup. It has several levels of low memory messages, with elevating actions that all apps are supposed to take. However, few apps do anything, which partly leads to the system clogging up. (WM 7 has a totally different memory model to help solve this.)

Two things that save the iPhone from acting just like WM, are

1) Avoiding running too many programs at once by limiting user apps to one at a time.

2) Killing runaway apps by automatically or manually going back to the Home screen.

But what leaves me shaking my head on either system, is why it takes 128MB + just to run a few apps anyway. Like a lot of others here, I remember multitasking quite well in 64K of memory, over a thousand times less!

Anyway, that error message looks like the app is doing it. Just look at the "Oops!" part.

21. prupsicle macrumors newbie

prupsicle

Hey I too had this problem and the solution is to, before you play a game, open Mail and hold down the home button until the screen goes black and takes you back to the homescreen.

Do the same for Safari and iPod. Alternativley, you can just turn the iPhone fully off and back on again.

22. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I got this error yesterday playing Aurora Feint. Yesterday I finally updated to 2.01 and also updated all my apps. I wasn't sure if it was a 2.01 thing or an AF thing.

23. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

me too. same game.:confused::confused:

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got it then as well. Funny how it didn't reboot or anything yet before it had crashed a bazillion times. Probably another one of those things developers haven't learned about the iPhone hardware yet.