Has Anyone Switched Back to 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheNoel, Sep 8, 2009.

1. TheNoel macrumors newbie

TheNoel

For me, the switch to Snow Leopard has been indescribably frustrating.
    I've probably seen the pinwheel more times in two weeks than I've seen it in nearly two years of using 10.5.
    It feels like this software was rushed out the door...
    Practically all of my drivers are broken, and many of my apps (including some in the iLife suite) constantly crash.

It just doesn't work. :apple:

And so, as the title suggests, I've considered switching back to 10.5.

Anyone with me?

2. Skweeky macrumors member

I went back to Leopard, but only because my iMac fans went into overdrive and the noise from them was unbearable. Today however, I've reset the SMC and PRAM and upgraded to SL - So far so good. My fans never go above 1200 RPM (they were hitting 6000 on my first install of SL).

I've had no app crashes at all.

3. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Did you do an Archive and Install? (standard install - insert disk, hit install, get coffee)

I did an archive and install on my MBP and it was a little buggy, but what i expected from a new OS. My iMac got a complete fresh install and so far i haven't had a single problem with it. I have now done a complete new install on the MBP and that is also fault less.

Something worth considering?

4. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Perfect....

Pefect install on 3 diffeent machines: Macbook Pro Unibody, iMac Alu, and Mac Mini

Everything just works!

PS: I did CLEAN/FRESH installs, then added my apps.

Best OS X ever! Enjoying Snow Leopard :D

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went back to 10.5 at least for the time being. My printer driver wasn't working. I then tried installing SL and the canon drivers a different way and it worked.

All in all, I've found the transition to be seamless, boring and uneventful (except for the printer issue) and when we're talking about an OS upgrade seamless, boring and uneventful are good attributes. Nearly all my apps work, except a handful of freeware programs that are not maintained anymore but in exchange I seem to have a machine that's a bit faster, and consumes less ram to operate.

I particularly like that the finder is a cocoa app and has some minor enhancements that make my life easier. As always YMMV

6. MecPro macrumors 6502

Running smoothly myself after a reset (was getting the beachball just opening Safari)

I think maybe you should take a look at what programs are causing the issues rather than just down grading. GO to x application manufacturers website and see what they say about 10.6, go to snowleopard.wiki.com to see whic programs are actually working.

I have the iLife pack myself, and I didn't do a clean install and my machine works absolutely fine. Obviously some people will have problems here and there but what precautions did you take? Did you clear your cache? make a note of all applications and remove the ones you don't use, using a proper deletion method, not just send to Trash?

At the end of the day Snow Leopard WORKS. It's just so many little nooks and crannys from the previous OS that cause issues with the installation

7. Rainier42 macrumors member

My install went well. Did have some problems with an Epson printer driver but was able to reload from the Epson site. All-in-all, I am liking 10.6 the speedbump I am getting.

8. PeterSD macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard failure

I agree. I have had nothing but grief all weekend. It is NOT compatible with Parallels and i had to do a major redo of my computer and go to bootcamp. I had to redownload drivers for 2 printers. With Photoshop CS4 I got an error message with camera raw and who knows what still awaits. They rushed this out the door with promises that couldn't be kept. Don't upgrade yet if you haven't.

9. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Wow... you sure got the bum end of the deal. Dunno what to tell you but all of the CS3 apps (with the older ACR v4) and Parallels (4.0 build 3844) worked OK for me post-upgrade to Snow Leopard.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Easy to blame 10.6 (and understandable). But there are too many on it now without serious problems.

I did a SL upgrade, right over 10.5.8. Other than some minor application quirks, all is Ok. But I'm not a power user and don't have all that stupid 3rd party crap installed like the "tweak geeks" around here.

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Well gee, that's not a nice thing to say considering the company you are in. :)

12. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I disagree. I've been using Parallels 4.0 from day one with SL, no problems at all. Unfortunately, it can't be used with the 64bit kernel, but benefits of that kernel today are questionable anyway.

I've installed SL on both of my Macs without any issue. I wonder how many of the people using SL and reporting problems either:

1) Did not do a clean install
    2) Did a clean install and proceeded to install other applications without stopping to see if a clean install with nothing but Apple apps ran ok.

Don't get me wrong, there are far too many reports of problems to think it's perfect, but in my own experience with two installs, I have none of the problems being reported. So what's the delta here? The hardware? The software? The applications?

FWIW: Here's what I have been running with no issue:

iWork 09
    iLife 09
    iStat Menus
    Final Cut Express
    Parallels 4.0 (Win XP and Ubuntu)
    Missing Sync
    Zimbra Connector
    Firefox
    Appcleaner
    Mactheripper
    and a handful of other little apps and utilities.

I'd be curious to know if people reporting problems do a completely clean install with no other 3rd party applications other than what comes on the SL disc continue to see stability problems. No time machine restore, no prefs panes, no NOTHING--just SL.

If the OS is the same from disc to disc, and the hardware is the same (assuming no faults), why do some work fine and others don't? The only thing I can think of is 3rd party software.

J

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Don't waste your time Richard, I've given up trying. People here don't want to hear about you, me and several others that are having good experiences, they refuse to listen. This forum likes drama and they enjoy joining in other people's misery to make it seem like the company (Apple) screwed up and not the user. The user needs to take responsibility.
    I certainly won't mention names here but I see one guy saying that a certain piece of software isn't compatible with SL and then another poster says they are having NO issues.

I wish the people with issues would take into account the people that are not having issues. We are all using the same OS and the same hardware so it all boils down to these few things:
    What method did you use to install SL?
    Did you use migration assistant and dump all your crap from Leopard on to SL....

There are a number of things and many posters here will try and keep quiet about what they've done and tell they forum, "I did a clean install" and then they'll say they are having massive problems. Again, the user needs to take responsibility for once.

14. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

How many upgraders, as a percentage, have no serious problems?

15. chrysrobyn macrumors member

This is what I did.. but I didn't know it was doing an Archive and Install. I want my scanner back. Are there instructions somewhere to bring me back to my last known working Leopard? Apple is disavowing scanner functionality for my HP 2820, and HP is punting all driver support to Apple. That means either the printer wasn't worth the money or Snow Leopard not worth the money. Since the printer worked fine the day before, I'm leaning on Apple being the waste. HP's response, however, is so abysmal that I have to cancel my "card carrying member of the HP laser printer fan club".

My preferred course of action would of course be Apple sanctioned scanner support for the 2800 series, but I don't really care if Apple or HP provide it.

refs:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01664444&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1153754
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669#HP

16. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Hhhmmm, Sounds like a good Poll question.

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

So far from what I'm reading in the forums is that problems are happening to those who did an upgrade rather than a clean install. All my apps work under 10.6, the only problem I have is temperature and CPU usage. Other than that, Snow Leopard is about what I thought it was, nothing amazing, just refinements (expose/dock, HUGE for me!).

18. footballforever macrumors member

I have it install and it's running great on my MBP 13", my machine is even faster now.

19. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Not sure but... it's a safe bet that those who do have problems are more apt to post about it than those that don't.

Don't get me wrong... Apple can certainly screw things up. I'm just saying that there are too many of us running SL for a few days now with no "serious" issues. Quirks to be sure but no show stoppers.

20. alleycat macrumors regular

It was a disaster here. CS4, Quciktime X, and dialog boxes kept crashing. MS Office 2004 never opened with Rosetta. Firefox worked, but that doesn't mean crap when you're trying to get all the other apps to work to do work. Stay with 10.5.8 if you have real work to do. Let the fanboys and developers be the guinea pigs for 10.6. ;)

21. Policar macrumors 6502a

Clean install on a (previously stable) 8X2.8ghz/4GB/8800GT mac pro 3,1.

Frequent kernel panics during start-up, random force quits and restarts, etc. without any acknowledgement that anything happened... Not so thrilled.

22. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

CS4 runs fine here. Is there a certain task you're doing or is this just random problems?

23. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

Back to 10.5

I am a new user as of July 2009. I have loved every minute after ditching my broken XP desktop. I upgraded to SL and experienced long startup and shutdown sequences. When the computer was on I didn't come across any problems. Where the problem lied was in putting my iMac to sleep. I would get the blue screen for quite a while. When waking from sleep I would also get the blue screen.

Because of this I decided to erase everything and go back to Leopard. I do have to say that the time estimates given by installation is quite off. It was saying I had about a minute for close to fifteen.

All in all in was minimal but my wife once again asked why I had to change something that was working. Everything is going good now...

24. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I really believe that each SL install is going to be different depending on the current applications being used, potential firmware updates, and the various graphics chips. (An application may favor one over the other).

Did you skip the extra printer and language options? There is a "customize" button way to the left that lets you do this. I skipped all this crap and was upgraded in 32 minutes flat.

Smart lady. :D

25. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well, why should the listen? :D Their gripes are legitimate and just because our installs went Ok doesn't mean the problems they've encountered are bogus. It's really hard to screw up the upgrade. They just did what you and I did but got different results. I'd be kind of disappointed as well.