Has anyone tested how water resistant the IPhone is???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Twiztedklown316, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Twiztedklown316 macrumors member

Twiztedklown316

I'm just curious how resistant it is, because I know with my current phone, probably 3-5 times have I stepped out of my car and had my phone fall in or near a puddle sitting outside my door.

Anyway, just curious

2. dfnj123 macrumors 6502

3. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Good luck getting anyone to test it out for ya'!

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The headphone jack is wide open. Another vote for not water resistant at all.

5. jburns macrumors regular

Someone will soon. Not on purpose of course.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the non-removable battery is going to be an issue and Apple is going to suffer a lot of bad press about it.

I've dropped various cell phones in various liquids or vice versa and all but one have been usable afterwards if I simply allowed them to dry out.

7. iPhonePhan macrumors regular

I so would not even try it ! Eeeek! :eek:

8. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

It shouldn't be too long before we see a "I dropped my iPhone in the toilet!!" thread. Cellphones and pagers always end up in the toilet on accident.

9. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Judging from the disassembly pictures I've seen, it looks like replacing the battery on the iPhone will be no more difficult than replacing the battery on the iPod Nano (just did one last week).

The only time I dropped a phone in water, it stopped working. It seems cell phones and the Pacific Ocean don't mix :eek:

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I mis-read the heading. I thought it said "Hot Water" test.

I'm sitting here thinking... WTF do you drop it in a pot of boiling water making Pasta or something? :eek: :p

Sorry, having another Blonde moment...

11. Nicranium macrumors newbie

Well, I guess im the first to test out the water resistance of the iphone.... So my phone go stolen at the bar last night, and was found at a restaurant half way across town. Apparently it was sitting in the parking lot in the rain for several hours... Everything seems to be working fine. Havn't come across any problems with it yet, but I am SOOOOO happy to have my iPhone back!!!! :)

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well that's good. Is it scratched up? And how did you find it?

13. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I know that many people have dropped iPods in water (also do not have a replaceable battery) and they have still worked. I think the key is letting it dry for a couple of days before ever turning it on or charging. (do not pick it up and turn it on to see if it still works)

I do not know if iPhones are the same, but I do not plan to test it out.

14. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

15. rayward macrumors 65816

I found out this morning that it's 100% resistant to a 3' drop onto solid tile. That was scary enough, so I hope I'll never be doing your water test.

16. airwalke macrumors member

My mom just recently had hers literally covered in snow... and it still worked. She was brushing the snow off her car, and completely forgot that she had her purse around her shoulder, and that she was brushing the snow into her purse. What a huge relief it was when we had cleaned all the snow off, and the phone merrily turned back on and went straight to the home screen.

17. sdd4 macrumors member

omg I wasn't the only one. I opened it think "oh boy this is going to be interesting."

LOL

18. ikare macrumors member

LOL I know somone that dropped their iPhone in a toilet, let's just say it wasn't pretty...

19. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

It is rather amazing how careful I am with my iPhone around water vs. when I had cheapie phone, even treo 650.

20. mingenyx macrumors regular

ive buried my iphone [had 3 unlocked 1] i got pissed at one so i chuckde it in about 2ft of snow and buried it about 3 seperate times. snow was in the charging port and the headphone jack. everything worked perfectly just have to give it time to dry but yea if snow is considered your "water" test then yea there was water all in the headphone jack [all the way in] etc

i didnt turn the phone off at any point of the snow being in there either. just played with it while the ports were wet

21. rfrankl macrumors 6502

My wife and I were in the Apple store, and we heard this surfer kid saying his iphone quit working. Well, they took the bottom off (I think it was the bottom) and then from what they saw they asked him if it has been submerged in water. He was like "no way" in surfer lingo. Well they said that they could tell it was because some part inside was pink. If it gets wet, it turns pink. I am not sure if it was a small piece or a whole board. Anybody hear anything like this?

22. JDR macrumors regular

My current phone (a Motorola) and probably all other phones have a small, circular paper patch thing (mine's located next to the battery) that turns pink when exposed to water.

23. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I love this, I have the image of this guy surfing on on a wave while on his iPhone, then gets wiped out, resurfaces and says "I'll call you back!" - classic!

24. JDR macrumors regular

Ok, here's that patch thing on my phone (pardon the dust, and serial #s blotted out just to be on the safe side):

[​IMG]

The thing to the left of it is where the battery connects.

Does anyone know where the patch is located on the iPhone?

25. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I think Apple starting doing this with the 5G iPod. If I am not mistaken, it is located inside the headphone jack. If you peer inside you can see the white circle at the bottom of it. Of course, you don't need to take it apart to see this, which makes it easy for anyone to check it, but this conflicts with what rfrankl was saying, so... as I said, I could be wrong. ;)