Has anyone tried PDAnet 3.0 "hide tethering usage" feature? Does it work???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, May 3, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

My question is: Has anyone who was receiving the Att upgrade text message of death started using PDAnet 3.0 hide tethering usage feature and the text messages stopped? I know it now has a "hide usage" feature (level 1 and 2) which makes your computers browser look like mobile safari on your iPhone but some people are saying this won't stop Att from finding out :confused:

I know that Att has recently been cracking down on people using MiWi by sending them text's saying they are going to take away your unlimited data and stick you on a $45/mo 4gb tethering plan.

I guess no one knows for sure how Att is finding out how people are tethering yet. Some say by http headers, some say by ttl hops, etc.

2. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

so i just got off the phone with ATT because i got that email and they just denied that it was something wrong with their system and did not take my argument that i wasnt tethering (my lie)

basically they told me because i just got the white iphone 4 with ios 4.3.2 that the new ios (4.3.2) has a new security feature to detect internet tethering specifically.
    is that true?
    and would the pdanet feature hide this?
    someone's gotta know right?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you had the white iphone for like 3-4 days and already got a tethering notice from AT&T?
    How much data did you rack up and in how many days?

4. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

it says
    121MB sent
    234MB received

i uploaded a 40mb video to youtube on imovie yesterday if that helps (failed like 7 times in the process of)

i have a feeling its the 4.3.2 software claim they're claiming. maybe there is actually something embedded~

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, that's not even that much data.
    Seems like they have a process in line to recognize tethering usage and not just with heavy data usage.
    That sucks.

6. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Nothing with Verizon, yet. :D

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not yet, dont think they will never do it though:D

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Exactly. Verizon and AT&T have already cracked down on Android tethering apps--although the sideloading ones are still available.

9. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

but att BLOCKed sideloading from all Android phones on the ATT network.................................

VZW allows sideloading ;P

10. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I'm still on the 4.2.1 jailbreak, but after reading this thread... and the thread in the iPhone hack forum... I'm deleting my tethering apps. I didn't tether much because I own a personal hotspot... but I did tether if I didn't have any other options to connect, but it isn't worth possibly losing my unlimited data for a few minutes of unauthorized tethering AT&T 3G data.

11. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

VZW iphone with 4.2.7 is sounding really good right now!;)

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Too bad traveling with it costs a freakin' fortune. I'll stick with my unlocked iphone. :p

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I have an ipad 2 with unlimited data now. If my iphone plan ever gets changed by att i will drop the iphone plan without etf because they changed the contract.

15. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Considering the spelling, I have a hard time believing it.

16. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...unauthorized-android-tethering-and-may-never/

This an interesting article that gives insight to how ATT is able to detect tethering on the iphone 4 :eek::apple:

17. LordZerolight macrumors newbie

I haven't tethered since Feb. I got the continued to tether message today. My phone is not jail broken either. Anyone know why this is happening?

Can they just say I was still tethering and change my plan from unlimited to the 4gb tethering?

18. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Man att is on a rampage right now. They are really trying to get folks off of the unlimited plans for good!

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You should read your contract more closely.

20. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yeah, them changing the contract because you were tethering isn't going to get you out of an ETF.

21. dave420 macrumors 65816

What if they remove your unlimited plan or add a tetheting plan when you weren't tethering?

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

then you have nothing to worry about in the first place lol

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

Sorry to double post. That was an interesting article, but not 100% consistent with what I read here. I thought most of the people who got warnings from AT&T were using MyWi/PdaNet, which does not use the built-in tethering capability (though I'll admit I am not familiar with PdaNet). People using TetherMe, which uses the built-in hotsput functionality, haven't gotten warned as much by AT&T. I could be wrong though. I am thinking about switching from MyWi to TetherMe after reading the stories here.

24. dave420 macrumors 65816

But what about this?

25. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

There is also someone that's never tethered and they got the email. Im thinking more and more that AT&T is bluffing and theyre waiting until they get sued in court for changing somesones plan who has never tethered.