iPad Pro Has anyone tried using Ethernet on iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richwoodrocket, May 25, 2016.

1. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Apple released the USB to lightning adapter, and also the USB to Ethernet adapter recently. Has anyone tried connecting their iPad Pro to Ethernet using these adapters?
    All I can find online is that it should theoretically work, but nobody has actually tried it.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Their documentation says it's supported, but yeah, I haven't heard of any real world testing.

3. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

Looks like you have been able to do it for a while, I think the difference is that the iPad Pro 12.9 supports USB3 so that you can get gigabit speed over LAN. Found an old video showing how to hook it up for other apple devices:

4. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

In the accessory section I posted that I have successfully used Ethernet on the pro. I have been doing this since November.

5. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I've used it multiple times with my iPad Air 2, iPhone SE, and now iPad Pro with both the old Lightning-to-Camera adapter and now the new USB 3 version. The old one needed a USB hub in between to give the Ethernet adapter enough juice, while the new one just needs your AC adapter (and charges your iPad as a bonus).

I'm using an Anker Ethernet adapter, but just about any other driverless one should work. The only downside is that you can't tweak network settings, so DHCP better be okay.

(I actually made this post with my new adapter just to test) :)

6. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Thanks for the replies! That's really cool. I'm surprised that there isn't an indicator to take the place of the wifi indicator when using this, like there is for tethering.

7. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I'd love for that and maybe connectivity information without a third-party app. I also wonder if there are any Ethernet adapters that don't need the extra power boost - would be nice to throw in my network admin toolkit...seems like the Anker and Apple ones need power.

8. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

This isn't a daily-use kind of thing, but I run into some instances where I have to troubleshoot network equipment where Wi-Fi doesn't reach. Being able to check connectivity without always having to grab my computer is pretty nice (mostly grab my iPhone). Additionally, Ethernet access is sometimes free in hotels while some charge for Wi-Fi (or have poor coverage).

9. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

It's times like these when I wish I were the kind of person that kept track of all the people on these forums that ripped me a new one for complaining there was no way to do this before it was discovered that it worked. But then I'd waste a lot of my life going back to tell them "I told you so".

The Apple zealots can be so unreasonable sometimes. In my particular use case, it was both a remote government location with satellite internet so only hard wired connections were permitted to limit bandwidth, the other was a cruises ship with similar restrictions, and the last was a government installation with a secure network which forbid wifi. All legitimate reasons, all things Apple obviously sought to accommodate.

10. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know which USB 3 to Ethernet adapters will work? (I think the apple one is only USB 2, max 100 Ethernet.)

Right now I am on an iPad 2 air so it can only do USB 2 max anyway, but I would like to buy a USB 3 compatible Ethernet adapter to pair with the USB 3 tonight into adapter to future proof my setup for future iPads.

11. ecschwarz, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017

ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Since the original posts in this thread, my go-to kit is the old Lightning-to-Camera adapter and a Belkin USB 2 ethernet adapter. The nice thing about that is that it doesn't need external power to work (https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-2...04689&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+usb+2.0+ethernet). It looks like Amazon doesn't have it right now, but it's also at Target and Best Buy for <$20.

For the sake of testing, I _think_ USB 3 may work if you have the newest Lightning-to-Camera adapter and an iPad Pro 12.9" - I've used an Anker USB 3 one (https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Unibod...89304666&sr=8-5&keywords=anker+usb+3+ethernet) with an iPad Air 2, but it obviously was limited to USB 2 speeds. Connecting it to my iPad Pro reports as 10/100/1000 ethernet, but I'll have to check with a direct connection to my router in the morning.

I'm also really glad Apple has fleshed out Settings>Ethernet in iOS 10.2. Doing network admin things with my phone and two small dongles is really really nice. :)

12. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Thanks for the update. I will be looking forward to see if it will negotiate 1000 ethernet speeds, getting that version makes more since to me unless I don't have the USB 2 version laying around and would have to buy one anyway.

13. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

It looks like it negotiated at 100Mbps on my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X, but did negotiate at gigabit speeds on my U-verse modem/router combo. Keep in mind that it does require a charger capable of charging iPads (10 or 12 W) in order to operate. An iPhone charger will not work.