Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
I’m willing to concede that.
My hopes did raise a little when the guy mentioned people wanted "modularity", then dropped again when he said that meant a box and a screen. That's about as modular as Apple are going to get, sadly.

I really wanted something like a stack of Mac minis. You have your base Mac box with an M1 Pro/Max in it, later on you can drop an eGPU underneath it, or another could be some extra SSD storage, another could be ports, maybe an optical drive if you needed it. Like PCI cards but external, and all connected through some great little Apple-engineered interface that just clicks when you stack things together. Then I realised that I think we're moving beyond that sort of setup.

Apple is creating a finished product: "Here's a box that does all these things, and you can have some extra ports that let you connect there stuff that we don't make." They aren't catering to the "I want to change my GPU, and now I want to add 16TB of SSD storage, and now I need a sound card" crowd.

Reactions: dysamoria

v0n

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
Insane prices, just insane for a mac mini with a massive fan inside. I never thought I would say that, but for the target audience of the Studio - music or video production guys - half that money buys insane spec intel machines with top spec GPU. For the first time in my life instead of forking another £7k on a machine that can't be fixed when Apple Care expires (in viable financial terms) I'm seriously considering proxmox, macos in VM running on zfs raid across two nvme drives and it's going to be waaaaay faster that anything M1 can muster for the money...

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This prices make the 14/16” MacBook Pros look cheap… :D

There’s just a huge huge gap now. Between the almost 2 years old M1 macs, and these ultra expensive macs. Nothing in between. Literally the new MacBook Pros become the “in-between” at this point since you at least get a full computer With display keyboard for $2000.

• Love
Reactions: Mr.PT

januarydrive7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
My hopes did raise a little when the guy mentioned people wanted "modularity", then dropped again when he said that meant a box and a screen. That's about as modular as Apple are going to get, sadly.

I really wanted something like a stack of Mac minis. You have your base Mac box with an M1 Pro/Max in it, later on you can drop an eGPU underneath it, or another could be some extra SSD storage, another could be ports, maybe an optical drive if you needed it. Like PCI cards but external, and all connected through some great little Apple-engineered interface that just clicks when you stack things together. Then I realised that I think we're moving beyond that sort of setup.

Apple is creating a finished product: "Here's a box that does all these things, and you can have some extra ports that let you connect there stuff that we don't make." They aren't catering to the "I want to change my GPU, and now I want to add 16TB of SSD storage, and now I need a sound card" crowd.
Presumably, they're leaving this sort of modularity for the AS Mac Pro, whatever that is going to look like.

gevalt

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
nyc
i gotta tell y'all...

for YEARS people have complained, asking for a 'midrange' mac.
something between the mini and the pro.

now they give you one and y'all are STILL complaining.

it it everything i may have wanted? no.
is it everything it coulda been? no.
it coulda had an expansion slot or 2.
it coulda given you more in the base configuration.

but it exists and can be made what y'all might want.
and it'll cost ya, like it always does with apple products.

so quit yer bitchin'.

i'm also interested in what they will do with the apple silicon mac pro.
maybe at WWDC? m2? m1 ULTRA MAX?

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
The pricing is very reasonable. Professional workstations with worse specs and only 256GB SSD cost 50% more. The 48-core GPU is somewhere around Quadro RTX 6000 (sans RT of course, but with more GPU RAM), which alone is a $4000 GPU.
I very much appreciate this type of response.

Reactions: JMacHack

Fillonte

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
I'm more offended by the fact that mouse and keyboard are sold separately. Will this be a common practice going forward? I can't remember any Apple machine that didn't come at least with mouse and keyboard in the past.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
Yup, Mac Minis never had keyboards nor mouses included AFAIK. It was kind of the point, as explained in the keynote of the first Mac Mini.

(But I think the Studio should include them, as the Mac Pro does).

Looking at the product I don't think it does actually. The "what's in the box" is just the computer and a power cable.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
huh? Do you even use Macs? if so, What specific issues are you talking about? Gaming - well who cares, if you are a gamer, you would by a gaming rig, no one ever confused a Mac with a gaming rig. Video editing? might be slow if you used some old software that needed Rosetta 2. Yah, I guess I am very confused about what you are referring to.
Well, are you angry about the poor state of Mac? You can compare every Mac with even a decade old PC and you’ll see. Mac can’t perform perfectly even on the latest M1 chip. And that’s just a fact. And you can believe me that I’m not exactly happy about it.

teagls

macrumors regular
May 16, 2013
This is a dream machine for developers if stuck to iOS/MacOS. I don't see huge issue with the prices. Only issue I see is $1000 for the GPU upgrade on the Ultra. Thats a bit too much (but maybe binning + supply chain is factored into the cost?)

widEyed

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
These "you could build xxxx for less money" arguments are so stupid and only people who have no idea what they're talking about come up with those arguments. If I would've done that then I'd just have burned $6k. If it doesn't run MacOs then it's literally useless for me.
that's not the argument @bobsman is making though. They're just comparing the hardware costs and mark up for Apple products on comparable hardware inventories. Such arguments flog a dead horse to a large extent, but it's still worth noting when a new product is released how it benchmarks against Intel/AMD based hardware.

If it wasn't for AS Apple would have been a sinking ship for desktops, the transition to AS (probably a decade in the making) has been visionary and a life-saving move for Apple in the desktop/laptop market because they were really starting to struggle compared with Intel/PC/Linux workstations, and Windows was less terrible with Win11 by all reports.

The power-performance ratio of these AS Mac products and the other gains in the innovative architecture is both blessing for Apple, and curse for users because of the lack of Right to Repair and upgrade internal components due to the unified memory etc etc. which Apple has slowly but surely moving towards.

So add in six years of Apple care on your purchase or pay a bomb for Apple technicians to fix it or tell you they can't repair it and give you somebody else's refurbed product when things go wrong. And QA isn't what it was two decades ago IME.

widEyed

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
I am disappointed that the new monitor is not high refresh rate. Other than that I am happy to see Apple continue to put effort in their killer processors.
maybe swing that for a $1000 more expensive pro version in two years time the they have more supply in the chain.

Reactions: Ethosik

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Quite the opposite here – I find it inexpensive. I just ordered both the nano-textured monitor with adjustable stand and the maxed out Mac Studio.

Based on my experience with the transition from my maxed out 2019 16" MacBook Pro to the maxed out 2021 one, I expect a lot from Mac Studio. The maxed out 2019 16" MacBook Pro was (and is) a great machine, but the three months with the 2021 one are like I'm working on a different level. And I have that experience daily – I have a 2019 at work and a 2021 for work at home.
Agree 100%

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
This prices make the 14/16” MacBook Pros look cheap… :D

There’s just a huge huge gap now. Between the almost 2 years old M1 macs, and these ultra expensive macs. Nothing in between. Literally the new MacBook Pros become the “in-between” at this point since you at least get a full computer With display keyboard for $2000.
Can you elaborate on this? From a technical point of view this may be the case but I would say from a practicality point of view I think there's not much of a gap between the M1 Mini and M1 Mac Studio Max. IMO the M1 Mini is a great, powerful system that meets the needs of those who don't need a lot of capability...exactly the Mini's target market. The M1 Studio Max is, from a technical point of view, is a significant step up in capability but its $1,999 entry level price is only $800 more than a fully loaded (save for SSD size) M1 Mini.

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
I am traveling so I didn’t get to watch the event video but just read the Macrumors live blog (thank you for that) and seen the announcement.

Anyone else this upset?
No, because I'm a reasonable adult. Would I LIKE an Ultra Studio? Sure, techno-lust and all that. Do I even vaguely need one? No. So the price is fine - it's for people who need that kind of power.

... if they upgrade more often or don't use the computer to make a living (which I don't do with my personal Mac).
This is key, too. No one needs the Studio Ultra for anything short of very serious, high end, demanding apps almost all of which will be done professionally.

Compare a 16 core Mac Pro with a 2T SSD and 96Gig of RAM.... $9200. Now a Studio with 128G RAM, 2T SSD and the 20 core Ultra. $5200.

So, yeah, Apple has lost their damn mind. They're giving you a machine comparable to their existing Mac Pro... for THOUSANDS less. And yet, people complain.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.