Has Apples reputation for finest quality suffered with IOS6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Muzzakus, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Muzzakus, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

Muzzakus macrumors regular

I've always considered Apple products to be of the highest standard. The Rolls Royce of computing and gadgets. Mind you that doesn’t mean the fastest, or most feature packed products - but simply something that feels Quality, smooth, refined - a pleasure to use and look at.
    Have owned all 3 gens of iPads, 2 gens of iPhones, have Apple tv – my eco system is intact.

But now I'm looking at IOS6 with the App store connection problems, lack of Youtube App - a big part of my use, Maps that are not even in the same stratosphere of what was there before. Blurry imagery, areas obscured by clouds, missing businesses, a search that is next to useless. In total a complete mess that cannot be trusted.

Sure - time can fix things, but I’m not optimistic something like maps can be fixed in days, weeks, months or even single digit years considering the scope of the globe. Is this release acceptable? –No.

At the risk of being accused of playing the world’s smallest violin, this is simply my view out the window – the Apple shine all of a sudden is obscured by a layer of muck. Something doesn’t feel quite right.

Suffice it to say, it’s not as if a new feature has been brought out lacking quality, it is existing features that have been removed or taken a monumental step back that make it all the more of a kicker. This is not consumer friendly, and certainly almost hostile to those that enjoy the finest products – which I assume is a great part of the Apple user base.

What are your thoughts?

2. negro napoleon macrumors member

People don't like to hear this, or even think about it... but i'll just say it.

Steve Jobs.

I'm out.

3. THEAnonymous, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

THEAnonymous macrumors member

Pretty much.
    They also released the woefully embarassing Siri last year (although at least it was called a "beta" product)

4. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Yup, no matter how much people want to deny this, apple simply isn't the same anymore without steve jobs.

5. BrandoFiasco macrumors member

I agree. With each upgrade I have been excited for the new features and design. Never have I navigated through iOS and thought "UGH"... until iOS6.

Case in point: the new dialer, and the app store....horrible

6. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Every single release of iOS, every release of the iPhone, and pretty much every other release we see floods and floods of the unhappy hordes posting about Apple's fall from grace, their obvious impending demise, and on and on. Forums are great but they also attract the drama queens.

This will all be over soon and we'll be back normal. Until next release.

7. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

Not sure what the hell they were thinking with Maps, but this never would have happened before last year.

8. THEAnonymous macrumors member

Disagree.
    These maps are far from ready; this isn't whining and complaining about cosmetic changes. This is big stuff.

9. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Sure, problems happen. They've happened before. There's a difference between pointing out problems, which people are doing, and people that are just perpetual malcontents. That's also happening.

It will get worked out ad we will be back to normal shortly.

10. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Even if the quality has gone down, it's still better than the other mobile OS's out there. That's not to say Apple should rest on their laurels.

But to address the things you mentioned, I don't see how YouTube not being there affects quality. It's just not a native app anymore, and if anything, doing that has allowed for a BETTER YouTube app to show up, in the app store, for free. Don't see how that's a problem.

You seem to be complaining more about specific apps, not quality overall. The maps app is, for the better part, a disaster, you're right. I find it weird that they allowed for it to be released in that way... I can understand, partially, because of them wanting to compete with Google and so on, but it's still a bad move. Ofc they can improve on it with time, but I think most of us trusted that they'd do a better job.

Other than that, I can't think of other major problems. Every software updates, iOS, OS X, they all come with a few bugs here and there... It's just normal, and personally I haven't been having any App Store problems.

But to sum it up I guess, I wouldn't say the quality of iOS has gone down, in fact, it's gotten better. It's just a specific app that has turned to ****, but in other aspects, things have improved. The weather app is much more polished and beautiful, the stores and music app (I guess this is a matter of opinion) look much more modern and beautiful, etc. Small changes, like the little metallic circle in the volume slider having that reflection effect changing depending on how you hold your device, shows their attention to detail, and small details like that affect quality a lot.

11. Tzuten macrumors 6502

As I said in another thread I think what we have here is the glimpse of a post Steve Jobs Apple where user experience is compromised.

However we really do not know what goes on behind the scenes. I believe that it may have been Google that did not want to license their app anymore with their Android platform now on the market. Developing a maps product as robust as Googles is a large task that takes a long time to develop. How many years has google been working on this? Does anyone remember when Googles first maps came to market? I was still using map quest over them.

Will Apples Maps get better? Sure. They'll pour a ton of money and resources at it, but it will take months to even come close.

12. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I have gotten used to looking at Apple as a different company over the last year, and I'll still buy Apple products as long as they keep putting them out. But as I say that, I know, regardless of how they do, how well the stock is doing, how many billions they have in the bank, whether or not they keep selling products like hotcakes, they aren't the same company.

The one thing they no longer have is the one person with a singular vision of what the company should be.

That is the difference. That's where we can already see the cracks showing. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean Apple is a different company now than what we've known for the better part of three decades.

13. cynics macrumors G3

I feel the same. My attraction to the iPhone is its high quality and high quality apps. But as of this moment I'm not all that impressed.

I feel like iOS 6 should have been a total overhaul. To me it feels like just thrown together, new features crammed into the old OS.

Its not intuitive to me in a lot of aspects, some settings are in apps others are in the settings menu. Some of which are just thrown into the settings menu so deep it takes me 5 minutes to find what I'm looking for.

The new phone reply with message was just crammed in next to the answer decline buttons. Shouldn't this been redone?

The status bar changing colors is ugly most of the time to me (unless its black). I actually like the keypad so no complaint there but I can see why some wouldn't like it.

I'm not talking about functionality of anything either like maps or passbook but just the overall feel and look. I feel like a OS that was designed to be minimalistic has had a bunch of features crammed into it but the OS actually needs to be redesigned for the extra features....

14. cotak macrumors regular

Actually that's exactly what RIM's users were like. So you know there's also the alternative ending of a sudden crash from grace.

----------

It isn't about time or money or if the maps will get better.

It is that the map app even made it into iOS6 at all.

I think Jobs being such a control freak didn't take the time to build up Apple's management structure. I mean he was ill for a long time the writing was on the wall for ages. But he never handed the company over till the 11th hour.

The map app is a POS. No if or buts about it. It speaks volumes about bad or no decision making. No one making a call to say "this suck, work on it some more". That to me is the biggest take away from this fiasco. If that's not fix the company will follow RIM's trajectory.

15. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Most complaints in the past were related to issues that arose due to people 'updating' their phones instead of restoring and setting up as new

This time, it's different, most lags and instabilities are coming from apple's end and issues like battery drain still persist after clean install.

So...are those frustrated by this release drama queens or are people like you simply fanboys?

16. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

Maybe so.

cough Mobile Me cough Lisa cough

17. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

I think it's quite silly to think all this is because of Steve Jobs not being there anymore.

For starters, everyone's acting as if Apple did no wrong before, as if they were always perfect. That's not true, they've always had problems, they've released stuff that doesn't work properly, stuff that eventually gets fixed, eliminated, or revamped completely.

Second, it hasn't even been a whole year since he died, I believe? A lot of the things Apple is releasing are things he over looked and worked on, and EVEN if he's not there anymore, it's still (for the most part), the same team of people working there! It's not as if with Steve's death, the whole Apple crew was wiped clean and replaced! It's most of the same people that made iOS 5, and 4, and 3, etc.

18. Tzuten macrumors 6502

I've been in software development for large companies for a long time. If Google decided not to continue packaging their maps into iOS then Apple developing a product (with help of a pre existing company Tom Tom) as good as Google Maps would be a monumental task, depending on how much lead time Apple had, which probably wasn't years.

Even with Jobs at the helm in this scenario Apple would be in a bad position. What is the alternative? To not have a packaged map app?

Yes Apples map app sucks, but and I believe they know its not where they want it. But unless you know what occurred between Apple and Google, then it's difficult to really make an objective opinion.

19. nutmac macrumors 68040

I frankly think Maps is overblown. Sure, the data isn't as comprehensive as Google Maps as well as lack of street map, but everything else about it is superior to iOS 5 counterpart. And if rumors of Google Maps app are true, you can have best of the both world soon enough.

App Store was never that good. It had numerous stability/connectivity issues since its debut on iOS 2. Not prompting for password on update and not kicking you out of App Store when download is initiated are reasons enough for me.

Frankly, despite Maps, YouTube, and WiFi controversies, I think iOS 6 is the most stable iOS x.0 release overall. If anything, Apple played too safe with fewest tentpole features for a major release.

20. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I like most of iOS 6 but I do agree that they should not have released Maps until it was better quality.

21. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

what about Final Cut Pro X? When apple released that it had a huge backlash from people because of the lack of support and lack of features. Apple try new things and some do very well and some do not, time will tell how maps goes.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No.

As much as cry babies belly ache about Siri, it's one of the iPhone's most adored features by customers according to every single survey that addresses the matter.

Maps is a sensational topic. All iPhone releases have one, and it always passes.

23. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I think the Maps app will improve. Give it time. I like iOS 6. I used the maps app today and it was dead on accurate. I even like the new phone dialer.

24. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

This has happened before. I think people forgot MobileMe saga!

This is MobileMe all over again.

25. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

+1

Haven't been too impressed with Apple lately.. ;/