Has Finder gone two steps backwards?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Andeavor, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I've noticed that finder in Lion acts very much like finder in Leopard until they fixed it with Snow Leopard. I think it was an update to to Cocoa which fixed everything, but since the upgrade, I'm getting conflicts with 'arrange by' and 'sort by', which forces me to constantly re-arrange the files while more often the thumbnails for the files and videos won't show up. Until much later.

There's also some odd behavior in the grid alignment. When I open a finder window, the files are distributed farther apart until I re-arrange them manually with the same distance set up. :confused:

2. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I'm having the same issues. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will ever address these Finder bugs. They think that we open photos from iPhoto, music from iTunes, and documents from Pages "recent files". In that respect, Apple thinks we have no need of a file system, which is why they care so little about it.

Every single folder has its own window size and icon arrangement settings. You will NEVER be able to get things to work the way you want it in Finder, because of this alone. Add to that all the bugs with Sort by and Arrange by not working, and there you have it: a giant mess!

Pro tip: If you want to arrange your files without having the stupid separator lines, do this:

1. Right click a blank space in the Finder
    2. Choose "Arrange by: None"
    3. Press and Hold Alt
    4. THEN right click an empty space in the Finder again (while holding Alt)
    5. Choose "Sort By" and whatever you want
    6. Voila, it's going to be just like "Arrange By" in Snow Leopard's Finder.

3. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

Finder's unexpectedly quit/frozen on me forcing a hard reset four times now, something that's never happened to me before on any iteration of the Mac OS over the past four years. It's strange. Twice on my iMac and twice on my MBP. It's almost like a memory hog issue.

4. Andeavor thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the pro tip, baryon.

I haven't had crashes yet but the similarity to Leopard's finder issues are almost tragic. And I'm glad I'm not alone on this, though.

5. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

I -love- the fact that 'pro tip' now basically means, "in order to get back previous functionality". What with FCPX and Lion I guess it is the new global.

6. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Yep, Apple products now require a "how to hack your way into being able to use the product" manual :D