Has it been hinted at a Retina Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EnVyCaLiBeR, Oct 17, 2012.

1. EnVyCaLiBeR macrumors member

Currently sporting the iPad 2 and I'm content with it and was waiting for the next iPad in March to upgrade. However, I would certainly buy the Mini if it had retina since upgrading screens would be my main incentive to get another iPad.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Most rumors so far have pointed to a non retina 1024x768 display.

I think that's pretty likely because of the expense and battery power required to power a retina display and the GPU to drive all those pixels.

3. Scott2345 macrumors regular

4. Bez59 macrumors regular

It is the same as the iPad 2 but as it is a smaller screen it will have a higher ppi.

5. Scott2345 macrumors regular

Thanks for clearing that up.

6. JSalig macrumors 6502

That's little consolation considering smaller 7" tablets now have resolutions of 1280x800. I suppose the average buyer won't care but I'd be surprised if Apple put out something that doesn't even match the specs of what is now standard in the tablets these days. I guess you'd really have to love iOS.

7. EnVyCaLiBeR thread starter macrumors member

That sucks. I would have purchased with no hesitation if it was Retina. Thanks.

8. Scott2345 macrumors regular

It would have been nice to have a Retina display.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

They put out computers without USB 3.0 until this year, and still put out computers without blu-ray drives.

I don't want an Android tablet. Not at any price or resolution.

10. JSalig macrumors 6502

A display is hardly on par with peripheral attachments. Anyway, I'm not crazy about Android tablets myself. However, if the rumors are true first generation buyers won't ever have to worry about their device becoming outdated in a few months time as it will be totally outdated right out of the box. And that's both by Apple and Android standards.

Now if I didn't already own ipad 3 it would be awfully tempting but since I do I think I'll wait for the 2nd gen. I'd end up feeling like a complete sucker otherwise.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

No, but my point is they can and will ignore the state of the art in displays and still outsell the other 7 inch tablets by a wide margin.

It's not all about displays - last time I checked the rMBP is far from being the best-selling laptop in the world.

12. irDigital0l Guest

Yea that's why I'm going with the iPad 4 and waiting for next year's iPad mini.

13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If it's a smaller screen size at the 1024 resolution, it will be at 163 ppi. Not retina, but better than iPad 2.

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I feel like apple releasing non retina devices is unlikely. If they do I think maybe the lower capacities will be normal and the higher ones will be retina.

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

What I don't get is there have been leeks of the screen , but still people can't say for sure if is retina or not

My guess is since there's been no leaks of retina is because there is no retina

16. EnVyCaLiBeR thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. Just disappointing though. I'd much rather prefer the iPad Mini with Retina than I would the regular sized iPad with Retina personally. If it's true that there's no retina then I guess I'll be waiting for the next iPad.

17. stuaz macrumors 6502

If there is no retina mini then I won't bother -might as wait for them to add it in the next release which you know they will!!

I will probably get an iPad 4 in march instead to replace my iPad 1.

18. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I've been hearing this rumor a lot and, not being a techie, I'm having a hard time understanding the pessimism about the mini not having retina. If my iPhone 4S has a retina screen, and the super-thin iPhone 5 has a retina screen, then why can't the iPad Mini?

Whatever the explanations are, it would be a mistake for them to release a premium-priced 7ish-inch tablet that has a LOWER screen resolution than much cheaper Kindles and Nooks. The general consumer won't give a crap about the technical excuses Apple makes.

I would say it would be a mistake even if it sells in big numbers and they make a huge profit and boost their share price. Apple's longevity rests on its reputation of being best-in-class. Right now the iPad is absolutely the best-in-class as far as the screen goes and it would be a step backwards to release a Mini that can't compete with a Nook but costs twice as much.

This is a precarious time for Apple. They're riding high, despite the Maps issue (which I think was way overblown, and actually love the new Maps) but people are watching to see if the quality can be sustained without Jobs inspiring (and terrorizing) the engineers to make the impossible happen. They need to pull a rabbit out of their hat next Tuesday.

19. EnVyCaLiBeR thread starter macrumors member

Agreed 100%. Almost all of your mobile products contain the Retina Display so why wouldn't you separate yourself from the competition in that lower price range by adding something that people can't get anywhere else? I seriously doubt the iPad mini is going to be $199 like the Nexus 7 and the Kindle (guessing $300-$350) so why wouldn't you add something that would make one want to fork over the extra $100-$150 dollars? The only reasons I can think of is to keep costs down to maximize profit or they don't want to undercut the premium model (iPad 3) by making a smaller clone of it. Since nothing's actually been confirmed, let's just hope Apple adds Retina to the Mini (even if it's unlikely).

20. yegon, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

yegon macrumors 68020

16.5kw battery, lower price, availability of 2048x1536* at that screen size.....all these point towards a 1024x768 display sadly.

*assuming Apple stick to existing supported resolutions, which is surely likely, for app reasons and the inevitable 2048x1536 version II means another, middle ground, resolution would be very short term thinking

I'd LOVE to be surprised on Tuesday, but I just cannot see it.

21. Zethca macrumors regular

Unfortunately a 7.85" retina display won't be possible until the second or third iteration. Those panels don't exist as far as we know, and the gpu/battery needed to power it would go against all the rumors of incredible thinness/light weight. Not to mention the cost.

22. JSalig macrumors 6502

I'd rather they wait until it is possible than take a deliberate step back from the standard they themselves set. Just seems like a cynical cash grab.

23. Tigger11 macrumors 6502

The ipad 2 didnt get a retina screen even though there were lots of people like you who said it had to, etc, because the technology wasnt available to make a 3+ million pixel screen on a 10" screen at an affordable price in high quantity, now 6 months after we finally get the screen on the iPad 3, everyone is screaming why hasnt Apple shrunk it by over 30% and made it cost even less so they can put it into a $250 device. Its not going to happen, this time, and much like it not happening with the iPad 2, where there were huge predictions that the iPad 2 would not sell other tablets were going to take over the market, etc the iPad Mini is going to sell millions of units and be a big hit, and next year we'll see retina on it.

How on earth is a precarious time, they are the most valuable company, the stocks at record high, they can't make enough phones or ipads to keep up with demand, and have a new product (iPad mini) coming out for christmas that they expect will sell 10 million units, adn they have over 100 Billion dollars in the bank, that doesnt sound precarious according to the classic definition of the word.

24. biohazardous macrumors newbie

If Apple has iPod Touch Retina at 299$, maybe the entry level iPad Mini will be 8GB/No Retina but when it gets over 299. For example, when it hits 349$ for the 16 GBs it will have Retina Display because the price point allows it, that way they wouldn't cannibalize the retina ipod touch at 299 with ipad Minis?

25. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The technology absolutely exists and is ready. The only question is cost. Apple could, if they wanted, have an upscale version that is retina and charge more. But they won't. They will save retina for iPad Mini 2 when the costs of the screen come down. Also this ensures they will get me and many others to buy a new one again in 2013... cha-ching!