Has my Macbook been hacked?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by its93rc, Jun 9, 2015.

1. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

Hey all,

I recently got an error using my business' Wi-Fi that said something like
    'Your network seems to have been compromised'. My Macbook (2015, Retina) disabled Wi-Fi access for about a minute, but then it kept working. (I'm actually using it right now.)

The question I had is: Can I check for any backdoors/et cetera on my Mac? I have googled but I prefer advice from MacRumors members. Also, I dunno if this is a Yosemite error.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank You.

:)

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'd want to know first where exactly this message came from. Have you heard of scareware? There are plenty of websites that try to scare you into buying some useless or even dangerous product.

It's much easier to show a message "your network seems to be compromised" than to compromise your Mac.

3. its93rc thread starter macrumors 6502

its93rc

That's exactly what I think it was. What scared me was that my Mac actually disconnected from Wi-Fi.
    Thanks for replying. :)

4. AngerDanger, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Hm, if software was able to disconnect your Wi-Fi, there wouldn't be much point in scaring you. It would be like somebody robbing a bank, leaving undetected, then turning around to yell, "This is a bank robbery!".

Brief Googling suggests this is a valid system error that might be solved by changing the security settings of your router (scroll down).

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I
    I followed that link, and if your router gives a message "Your network seems to have been compromised" when your neighbours use the same WiFi channel, that is absolutely idiotic. It's like saying "Your car may have been stolen" when you run out of fuel. In that situation, your network hasn't been compromised in any way.

Your network is compromised if someone has access to your network who shouldn't - and if that is the case, and your router detects it, why would that router allow it to go on?

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I don't think the router gives the error; Yosemite throws the error as a response to security settings on the router it finds dubious. I reread the article and wasn't able to find any comments about neighbors, but suffice it to say this error is idiotic at the very least. A more recent thread talks about potential solutions but ultimately chalks it up to only possibly being a router error.

OP, if the problem persists, I'd recommend checking the Mac App Store to see if there are any updates available for the version of Yosemite you're running. If not, it might not hurt to add/remove password settings on your router.