Has Notes just killed Evernote and OneNote?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by BD1, Jun 19, 2015.

1. BD1 macrumors 6502

Looks like Notes will do what most people use Evernote and OneNote for, except for very complex situations?

2. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I wouldn't say so. I will probably still use OneNote to store my work notes simply because you can file notes into different sections

3. nostodnayr macrumors member

nostodnayr

I was always a casual user of Evernote and found it far too heavy. On the other end Simplenote or Vesper were just a touch too simple (sometimes I want to include a PDF or multiple images in a note).

So for me, I think it may be the perfect solution. Except, of course, for all that yellow.

4. nostodnayr macrumors member

nostodnayr

I haven't used OneNote, so I'm not aware of the particulars, but Notes does allow you to create folders for organisation. Though that may still be insufficient for you.

5. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Really? Is that an iOS 9 feature?

6. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Evernote will be around for a long time. I personally moved away from Evernote into apple notes when apple silently added support for note groups and importing of images just so I only need one cloud service for everything but otherwise Evernote is very good. OneNote is actually crap though.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If Notes had reliable syncing, then it would have been a good alternative. But as it is now, no, not at all.

8. nostodnayr macrumors member

nostodnayr

It's certainly in iOS 9, but I'm not sure if it's new.

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yes, it is.

10. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Ok, goodbye OneNote then! What I usually do is write on Notes, then transfer it to OneNote. None of that hassle now.

11. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Hrm, maybe I should make a video about the notes app

12. nj-morris, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015

nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Ok, post a link if you do.

13. BD1 thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be great

14. kevroc macrumors 6502

eeesh...really? You obviously do not understand how capable (and cross platform) those programs are...

15. garybyrne0108 macrumors newbie

garybyrne0108

I think the point that its already a built in app with apple that works across the system, saves him anyone having another app or two

16. BD1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually I do. I use both, mostly Evernote. If by cross platform you mean windows, etc. I have no need for that but understand others do. I have Mac and iPhone.

I have used Evernote for years but find it bloated for my needs and don't like the UI. Like I said in the original post that those with more complex needs might need it for example: enterprise situations.

But from what I can tell before I can get on the public beta, Apple added a lot of capabilities to Notes that for the average user might kill the need for Evernote/OneNote.

17. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Evernote is more and more a business tool. Using it for your everyday life would be stupid in the same way using the new Notes for business would.

18. DucatiTerminator macrumors member

DucatiTerminator

Though I use it primarily for business, I'm surprised how much I use it in my personal everyday life. Who knows how Notes will mature as a product, but for now, Evernote meets my requirements on both sides, and I prefer using one app.

19. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

I don't think it matters what the contents of the notes are, personally I find all my notes equally important (personal and business) otherwise I wouldn't have well... Made a note of it.

20. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

That would be great!

21. kevroc macrumors 6502

I don't see the correlation honestly between the new Notes app and Evernote. I use Evernote as an electronic junk drawer. I save a receipt or confirmation of some kind, tag it, and move on. I don't care about the "organization" of it with Tabs / Groups / etc. When I need find something, it doesn't matter if I'm on my phone, laptop, ipad or whatever, a quick search will find that snippet I need. I can pop multiple notes up side by side, on and on and on...I really don't see "Notes" working the same way and replacing that simplistic functionality.

If I need organized content, I use OneNote, I can't even begin to list all of the differences there, but I'll give you one, notetaking with a tablet pc and wacom pen. All of my "note taking" is with a stylus directly into OneNote.

I don't see anything I've listed as being "enterprise" or "complex". I just use Windows primarily and Notes isn't available to me unless I want to use my phone. Not a very killer approach.

22. BD1 thread starter macrumors 6502

This exactly. If you are in the apple ecosystem, the new Notes looks like a good replacement for Evernote. I have been looking for an Evernote replacement for awhile as it is bloated for my needs and don't really like the UI on the iPhone, the Mac version I actually like a bit better. But it looks like Notes does everything I need.

I just need to find a good way to cut and paste web pages that is equivalent to the Evernote web clipper on the Mac (which is quite handy). This is for when I don't want to just copy a link which is what Notes seems to do. I'm guessing there are some clip and paste utilities out there for Mac OS that could work well for this?

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm a heavy Evernote user. I used to use the Apple Notes app from years ago and would occasionally lose stuff somehow and I hated that. It was because of Apple Notes that I switched to Evernote and I've been super happy with it ever since.

I use it both personally and for business. There is no desire, for me, to try the newly redesigned Apple Notes.

24. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to scan a document and attach it to a note? Is there a way to clip a web page and save it to a note? I currently use Evernote, but I wouldn't mind switching to Notes for all purposes, however I need it to do the two things I have asked about above.

I currently use Scanner Pro as well. Is there a way to use Scanner Pro to capture web pages or scan a doc and then attach to a note in Notes? This could be a solution...

25. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I wonder how well the share sheet option for Notes in iOS (and presumably El Capitan) does this.