Has OSX become bloated since SL?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by surjavarman, Oct 22, 2013.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

The new technologies like are very nice additions but they could have left it at that. Instead they give you things like maps, ibooks and tags. I don't even know the purpose of ibooks is. I could just have a folder with my all of my pdf files neatly organized in one place. Could see it in spotlight, finder, dock, desktop in a pinch.

Why didn't they just give the people the choice to download if they really wanted to have things like ios notifications, maps, tags and tabs in finder. Pretty sure they all existed on OS X before Mavericks.

I could remember the time that I ran SL with just 2gigs of RAM. For neat and slim. Now 8gigs wasn't even enough for me on ML when the exact same usage. Not sure how much Mavericks changed in the memory department but it does seem they they keep introducing new bloatware and bloated features instead of sticking to barebones.

2. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Mavericks changes a lot in the memory department with compressed memory and App Nap.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

I hope Tim Cook orders a "snow leopard"-like rework of Mavericks in a year or two. Go over the code, fix every single problem or error they discover over the next year, slim it down until it is super-tight and lightning fast.

4. iBug2 macrumors 68040

That is what they did with Mavericks.

5. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Cool. Are you aware of any articles I could read about it?

6. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Snow Leopard was a mighty fine OS, gotta be said.

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I firmly believe Mavericks is the new Snow Leopard. It's definitely refined.

8. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Time will tell!

9. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Not enough... I'm still getting that slow shutdown even with a clean install. Overall Mavericks still feel bloated compared to Snow Leopard...

10. TrashCanBin macrumors regular

11. ElliottG macrumors member

How long have you waited after install complete to say that though...?

12. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Mavericks flies on older machines thanks to its new memory management.

13. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Since DP1... :p:p

14. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

Nope. And no, they didn't exists, or at least to this level, in prior OS X versions.

Mavericks memory compression is awesome. With 8 GB, I now run:
    - Parallels with Win 7
    - Visual Studio 2012
    - IIS (dev web server)
    - Firefox
    - Chrome/Safari (now Safari because it seems vastly superior)
    - iTunes
    - Fireworks (Adobe product like Photoshop)
    - etc

And my page outs have gone from huge with Lion, to almost zero with Mavericks. I think that's pretty impressive!

Also RAM is getting cheaper and cheaper, it looks like 8 GB is the standard for upper end Macs these days, so let's not get too fussed about keeping RAM usage super low. Programs/websites are more complicated these days because they're more awesome, so we need to use more RAM.

Also, all that other software.. seriously don't concern yourself with it. The Maps app is 5.7 MB. Even SSDs are now around $1/GB.. so Maps.app is costing you around $0.0057. I think you can cope!

15. surjavarman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am pretty sure you had third party finders with tabs and other features. Pretty sure you could download google earth too. Fairly sure that growl is kind of the same thing as notification. Correct me if I am wrong though

16. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Yes, OSX became bloated. Did not like ML at all. But I'm now running Mavericks on a 2009 13" MBP. It's snappier, though there are some bugs. The new iMovie keeps crashing, for one. Also, I've had a couple of finder hangs.

17. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i know this isn't really your point but god i miss Snow Leopard. but obviously not enough to downgrade...for the time i think SL is the best OS that has ever existed...

18. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

So in addition to making the OS run better, they added features. This is a problem?

To read books.

You do have a choice to use them.
    Because they are integrated into the operating system so that they work properly. If you don't want to use useful features, then don't.
    Through imperfect and non-integrated third-party solutions.

My first Hp laptop had 512MB of ram. Are you claiming that the OS on it was better than Mavericks?

19. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

I, too, was quite trepidatious about installing Mavericks, but curiosity got the better of me. I was still running Snow Leopard---was not tempted by Lion or Mountain Lion---because I felt it was the best OS I had ever used (came over from Windows 3 years ago), and it did everything I needed it to, was rock-solid, stable, the whole deal. However, when they announced yesterday Mavericks was free, even if coming from SL, well, I just decided what the hell, let's do it. And, so, far, I am kind of liking it, but of course am still getting used to it. I have my SL installation discs, so I could go back if I felt the need to, but I hope I don't feel the need to. We'll see. And it is nice to finally get some software updates (Pages and iMovie, especially) that I haven't been able to previously, because I was running an "old" OS. So I'm trying to be positive about it. And I've been flirting with replacing my mid-2010 iMac (despite the fact that I've never had a problem with it) simply because I come from years of using Windows machines, and have come to feel that 3-years-out represents some sort of watershed point for computers (of course, this isn't a Windows machine), and am worried about something going wrong. But, given that I have a Time Machine external drive, and a bootable Carbon Copy Cloner drive, I'd like to think that I'm O.K. if my current hard drive goes. So, what am I saying? I don't know. I'm hoping for the best. Overall impression of Mavericks is generally good, so far. We'll see....

20. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

nice - a true-believer, huh?;)
    you held out even longer than i did! glad i'm not the only one...

i'm sure it will be fine. i left my air at home to run the massive 40-gig time machine backup after installing mav this morning. can't wait to play with it tonight!

21. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

I think you might be pleasantly surprised, as I have been, for the most part. Of course, it IS different. But I'm hoping different in a good way.

Good luck.

22. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I am with you. I had SL and didn't like what I heard of lion and ML so I skipped them. I was going to think about getting mavericks but when it was free, i said what the hell. So far I like it a lot. Plus everything synchs with my phone which is nice and also a lot of compdabilty issues i had on other websites because the mac os was so old i don't have them anymore.

23. AAPLGeek macrumors regular

I'll preface this by saying that I have been running mavericks since DP4.

It's pretty snappy overall but compared to Snow Leopard, it does feel a little bloated, especially if you're on a spinning disk drive instead of a SSD.

Snow leopard was a really fast and lean OS. Lesser install footprint. Much faster startup and shutdown. No superfluous animations. No unnecessary apps (launchpad, notes, reminders, maps, iBooks). It would've been nicer if Apple made these apps available as optional installs through App Store instead of bundling them with the new OS.

24. KaraH macrumors 6502

I have not run the tests with mavericks yet (I just completed the installation as I had to walk out the door this morning) but I was surprised at the startup/shutdown times. Compared to my (bloated) 2007 iMac running SL the startup time seemed about the same (I was expecting faster) and the shutdown time actually seemed like it took longer.

I will do a side-by-side test when I get home. Then copy the system/applications to an SSD and see what that does to the speed.

25. chasemac macrumors 6502a

chasemac