Has the backlight bleed been fixed in the most recent shipments?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tmt345, Apr 23, 2011.

1. tmt345, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

tmt345 macrumors member

I've heard that the issue will go away and future shipments will not have the problem, so I would like to wait until the issue is resolved till I purchase one.

People who have just bought an iPad 2, does yours suffer from backlight bleed?

Thanks

2. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

Roomies has it slightly... and mine due here in a few days.. so we'll see..

He's got the F as his 4th digit in his serial so it's on mark with the light leak issue...

3. hoofbite macrumors member

Once again, the F has nothing to do with backlight bleed.

My replacement from Apple has ZERO backlight bleed. I'm not sure if new shipments are fixed, but replacements via Applecare are now 'fixed'.

4. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

not true. My applecare replacement is not fixed. This is my 4th.

5. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Can you really have as many replacements as you want if your iPad suffers from light leak? This is my first replacement and it still has the issue, really annoying, there's no point going to an Apple retail store for another replacement, being it will still have the issue.

6. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

Nope none in mine.

My iPad 2 arrived last week. I love using it in bed, in the dark. No bleed in mine. By the way, I love this thing.

7. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Could your 4th digit of your serial number by any chance be the letter 'F'? It should have at least some light leaking issues.

8. kopo macrumors newbie

9. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

The one I bought from the Apple store earlier this month had the bleeding I exchanged it the next day for a new one and that was even worse so I got a refund and ordered from Apple online and seen as though the shipping estimations were 3-4 weeks I thought I may as well take a chance and they might have fixed them by time it is shipped.

It's going to arrive on Tuesday so I will find out then what it's like. If it has bad bleeding I'm not going to bother with a replacement this time and just get a refund.

10. tmt345 thread starter macrumors member

I just got off the phone from a local Apple store and I asked if their most recent shipments still had the backlight bleeding issue and they said,

"You know I haven't seen that issue in a while so I'm guessing its not a problem for the recent cycles."

I don't think it was a genius bar person but maybe the most recent shipments have gotten better?

11. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

If any iPad's fourth letter of the serial number is the letter 'F', it means it was shipped at the same quarter (i.e. Manufactured the same time, making all the issues that appear between them more common).

When we see a different fourth letter/digit serial number, we can be sure that Apple has updated their iPad 2 lineup and hopefully fixed this issue.

12. tmt345 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I wasn't really understanding this "F" stuff. :p

EDIT: So we won't even know if they have updated their lineup till the next quarter (which I'm guessing hasn't started yet... and if not then how long?).

13. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Exactly, all shipments of iPads that contain 'F' will most likely have the light leak issue, so even if you go in for a replacement now, you're probably going to get another dud, we can only see fix to this in the next quarter of 2011, which would presumably be around June, or late May. I hope Apple will resolve the light-leak problem so that I can get a replacement ASAP :d

14. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

Soooo.. you can back this up how?

15. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

No, there is no such thing as the 'new' shipments. All products at Apple are either updated or refreshed every quarter, all manufactured iPads will most likely contain the light leak issue, since it was produced in the first quarter of 2011, which is what the 'F' stands for. For example, if Apple fixes the light bleeding, they will do so in the next quarter, which would presumably be in June or late May and include a new fourth letter/number of the serial number. You may have gotten lucky by not having any light leak issues, but saying that all iPads are now 'fixed' is obscure. As I've said in my previous post, even if you go for a replacement iPad now, you're 80% likely to have the same issue.

Only thing to do is wait for the new shipments to arrive presumably in the next month or so. Also, could you provide a source on where you got your justification that "replacements via AppleCare are now fixed"?

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

You say that as if all iPads for the quarter are manufactured in bulk. They are not. They are being manufactured continuously. It is possible that the problem has already been corrected...(particularly if it was caused by poorly calibrated assembly machines). If that is the case, then the assembly plants are producing iPads that have the issue corrected... no need to wait until the next quarter.

We only have anecdotal evidence of the light bleed problem. Apple hasn't officially confirmed that the problem exists. The same anecdotal evidence is showing increasing reports of people receiving units that do not have light bleeding.

17. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

You don't seem to get the issue, I know Apple is continuously manufacturing the iPad 2, however they are all the same models, i.e. they have no updated parts, such as a fixed light leak problem. When the serial number has changed from an 'F' to something else, we can be sure that it's either been altered to or something has changed (not necessarily if there are no issues found with the device). You may purchase an iPad today, but Apple will manufacture another iPad tomorrow, that is not to say it will be fixed just because it comes from a new batch. By the way, I did not say anything about all iPads being manufactured in bulk, just that they are addressed with each quarter. The problem may have been corrected, but without official statement from Apple, no one can be sure unless testing it themselves for the light leak issue.

18. tmt345 thread starter macrumors member

So if Apple identifies the problem nothing would be done about it until the next quarter?

Thanks again.

19. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

How could they not have realised this darn issue in the first place? Shows Apple's poor quality checks over their products. They just like to get the cheapest profitable manufacturer to supply their hardware parts without thorough testing and sell it to consumers triple the stock value. It's just business I guess.

20. tmt345 thread starter macrumors member

I agree! I think this is just something that Apple consumers will have to suffer as an effect of Apple becoming a bigger and bigger company.

21. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I get the issue. It seems like we're talking about different possible root causes. I believe that it is a manufacturing defect, you seem to be implying that it is a design issue. If it is a design issue, then you are correct, we won't see the fix until the next revision cycle.

22. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

23. tmt345 thread starter macrumors member

When did you exchange it and when did you originally buy it?

24. krnboy503 macrumors regular

Mine has no bleeding and the 4th letter is an F.
    My mom's has some bleeding and the 4th letter is an F.
    My grandma's has one tiny area of bleeding and the 4th letter is an F.

NOT ALL IPADS ARE HAVING THE BLEEDING ISSUE.

25. rovex macrumors 65816

I actually think Foxconn and apple were aware of it, but of course, better to hide it all under the carpet...