Has the iPad 3 Exceeded Your Expectations?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zippyzoom, Mar 7, 2012.

1. zippyzoom macrumors member

2. matthewskyle macrumors member

exceeded? God no. They did meet expectations. But you wouldnt get the iPad 4 if they went overboard on the 3rd.

3. theman510 macrumors 6502

No. I don't know, I guess it was foolish of me to expect something groundbreaking and amazing. If there was something awesome like the rumored tactile display then I'd absolutely get one. Now whether or not I get one will be based upon how much i can sell my iPad 2 for.

4. urkel, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Its obviously an improvement and I'm buying a few (me, wife, mom, dad) but it's more a spec update than a "revolution".

+ Retina Screen (easily the big deal)
    + LTE (IF you care for high speed on the road. which i don't)
    + iPhone 5 camera (most people claim its unimportant)

- Same front camera
    - Same price
    - Same dock connector
    - Same storage options
    - No SD Slot
    - No Siri
    - 1.5lb (.3lb heavier!)

Again, its a solid product and I'll recommend it to people but if I see myself selling again next year then thats an indication that there's still a lot missing.

EDIT:
    Since Im getting rated down anyway I thought I'd throw in that I'm also disappointed that the only significant upgrade to AppleTV is 1080p. No apps. No hulu. No siri remote... but I'll still buy one. :D

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Better screen, 4G and heavier.....ahhhh, NO.!! iPad 2 stays in my house. Save that money for next iPhone.

6. hoofbite macrumors member

I'd say it met them:

Retina Display
    Siri lite (basically)
    New rear camera
    Same battery life

That is all I was really expecting.

7. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Or the 7" ipad

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

What are you trying to say?

What are you implying?

9. lilo777 macrumors 603

He is implying that everybody knew that new iPad was going to get higher resolution screen and that would require better GPU and that's exactly what Apple did. Only people who were not following any news/rumors expected less. Most people actually also expected real Siri, perhaps quad core CPU, haptic feedback from the screen. So, in short, Apple delivered much less that people generally expected. We still do not know RAM size. If they kept it at 512MB it would just be scandalous.

10. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

It's not called iPad 3, it's just the new iPad

----------

Actually it DOES have a Quad core cpu

11. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

12. urkel macrumors 68030

This is going to cause hell when "The New iPhone" name rumors start again.

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

14. KHC831 macrumors member

lol voice dictation is not siri lite

15. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

new Ipad should have included a better front camera for Facetime. DID NOT EXCEED EXPECTAIONS. I am more excited about the software updates. I am praying that Keynote will work in 16x9 format.

----------

Also, will the old iPad 2 cases work with "new iPad"? Did they say in the presentaion? I followed one of the live blogs but didn't catch if it is the same shell or not.

16. binarymelon macrumors member

The only thing it met expectations on was the retina display. The exclusion of Siri for me is ridiculous. I'm absolutely baffled why they would launch another iDevice that didn't include it. I can understand the TV given that we have a very good idea that there is something better in the pipe. I was disappointed when Siri wasn't made available as an update in the iPad 2, this is beyond stupidity.

17. VinceDae, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012

VinceDae macrumors regular

I LOVE IT :D ... Funny thing.. when I copyed this picture from Apples site the picture is saved under "iPad_Hero.jpg" - Haha.. iPad HERO... how funny :D

[​IMG]

18. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

cant tell yet.
    Need to know RAM, CPU and PU horsepower and architecture.
    And benchmarks ofcource.

Il be getting it anyway.
    Also bit disappointed in the no 128gb....but ok.

19. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Did not exceed my expectations since pretty much all the new features (retina display, 4g) had already been discussed extensively here as rumors.

In order to exceed my expectations it would have needed something like haptic feedback, the ability to run windows, free worldwide data usage, etc.

20. bniu macrumors 6502a

Where's 128GB??? :confused:

No iPad for me this year. Saving up for a MacBook Air! :D

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No, it has a quad core graphics and a dual cpu

22. LJ50 macrumors member

No, I have to confess to being a bit disappointed.

Of the confirmed upgrades really you're looking at the new processor (still Dual-core as I understand it though) and the higher res display. It is also likely to have more RAM, but no confirmation.

The improved rear facing camera is a waste upgrade IMO. The iPad simply isn't the right form factor to be taking pictures. A better front-facing camera would have been a real upgrade.

Have gone from being a definite buyer to a bit "hmmm....". Really not sure now. Want the screen, don't know if I can justify the expense just for that though.

23. Shivetya macrumors 65816

This is what I am waiting on. The only feature the new iPad has that I want is the camera the iPad2 should have come with. I do not need a HEAVIER iPad, the current one is too heavy as is.

24. stordoff macrumors regular

Hero image is a standard term in marketing etc.. It's the biggest image on the page and meant to be eye-catching. The iPad 2 had the _hero.jpg suffix on the file name as well.

25. monkeybongo macrumors member

The met expectations for the new screen but the new software seems pretty kick ass and really sells why you need the new screen ... photo editing, videos and games. Does iCloud now support videos?

$399 iPad2 is going to massacre the competition. This won't be like the iPhone where there's several competitors to marketshare, this is going to be iPod style domination!