Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Met mine, Retina is all that mattered to me being the only feature that kept me from ever getting an ipad to begin with.

Pictures; movies; videos etc ahhh man I can't wait.

Last edited:

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
He is implying that everybody knew that new iPad was going to get higher resolution screen and that would require better GPU and that's exactly what Apple did. Only people who were not following any news/rumors expected less. Most people actually also expected real Siri, perhaps quad core CPU, haptic feedback from the screen. So, in short, Apple delivered much less that people generally expected. We still do not know RAM size. If they kept it at 512MB it would just be scandalous.

Tish, pshaw, nonsense. Haptic feedback came on the blog rumour list TODAY and was always a long shot. Quad core CPU was always one of those will they / won't they things and frankly it was always the GPU side that would need boosting and they did that. Siri was one of those things that got less likely the more you thought about it as the iPad doesn't necessarily have an always-on connection to utilise it.

Apple delivered pretty much exactly what people expected. And that's fine. Look at the iPad and you've got easily the best tablet on the market for the majority of people and something that other vendors are going to struggle to compete against (bear in mind tablet = hardware AND software). For me it was exactly what I wanted, no price increase, some great looking software (iPhoto in particular may be a godsend) and availability within ten days. Spot on.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
This nonsense about how "it's just a spec update" is a joke.

No matter what Apple did, morons here would still say "meh, it's not more than it actually is, it's only incremental and not revolutionary". It's meaningless because it just moves the goalposts higher than whatever Apple actually does.

spl456

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Where's 128GB??? :confused:

No iPad for me this year. Saving up for a MacBook Air! :D

I also thought that Apple would bring out a bigger HDD on the newer iPad.

But, l think that Apple is thinking about iCloud, so onboard storage shouldn't be a big issue....that's how l read it.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
At this rate, i think Apple has left the field WIDE OPEN for smart connectivity between HD capture devices and offline monitoring and data storage.
Thanks Apple.... Time to make some skype calls ...:apple:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I didn't have high expectations coming in so the new iPad is fine. Only complaint is wish it had a better front facing camera.

LJ50

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
I didn't have high expectations coming in so the new iPad is fine. Only complaint is wish it had a better front facing camera.
I have to confess that's probably my biggest irritation.

Siri, I'm not fussed about. Would have been nice to get 128GB version, but again not too fussed. Something that is a "game-changer" like haptic display would have been interesting, but again "meh".

Bit to produce a massive upgrade of the display, then fail to upgrade the fron-facing camera is staggering. iPad is the perfect Facetime device and that camera already looks poor on the lower res display now. It's going to look dreadful on the new iPad.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
I have to confess that's probably my biggest irritation.

Siri, I'm not fussed about. Would have been nice to get 128GB version, but again not too fussed. Something that is a "game-changer" like haptic display would have been interesting, but again "meh".

Bit to produce a massive upgrade of the display, then fail to upgrade the fron-facing camera is staggering. iPad is the perfect Facetime device and that camera already looks poor on the lower res display now. It's going to look dreadful on the new iPad.

I say boycott the ipad till Apple gets it right. We'll give 'em till Labor Day.
No rush... pass the popcorn:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.