Has the iPhone become boring?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmunz, Nov 15, 2013.

1. dmunz macrumors regular

When I had a work BlackBerry I really looked forward to new phones coming out. Then I started wanting an iPhone. The company finnaly caved in and a few of us were allowed to pilot iPhones (3s). Now I sit in meetings and look around at a table full of iPhones.

They are now the norm and feel more and more like a tool, not something exciting and new.

I actually had some retro lust for my BB Pearl the other day.

Don't get me wring, I love the iPhone and I does everything I need. It just doesn't seem exciting anymore. :(

FWIW
    DLM

2. solo118 macrumors 65816

I hear you, and I used to think the same. However I realized it's just a phone. what else can it do or add to the phone?

At this point future updates would be making it faster, thinner, lighter, better battery, better camera, and maybe even a bigger/better screen.

I for one applaud them for their small innovations such as Siri & Touch ID etc. but I look forward to anything else they can come up with.

3. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I agree. Phones have pretty much matured so there is nothing major to add to them.

4. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

I agree as well, there isn't a whole lot you can add to phones nowadays that isn't already in them. Hopefully they don't add something silly like a laser pointer, lol.

5. MagnusF macrumors regular

I thought so and bought the Galaxy S4. After a month, i went straight back to the iPhone 5 and now 5s. They are surely not boring, and ALOT better than anything else

6. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Has the iPhone become boring?

I actually think that this attitude, that the iPhone has become boring, is itself boring, cliche, and unoriginal. I'm looking forward to some exciting innovations in people's complaints. It's just the same echo again and again now.

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

The iPhone is only as boring as the apps you have on it. ;)

8. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

This!

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I tell the true story one time I saw an old timer, seemed like one paycheck away from homeless but he had an iPhone!

The flip side of the coin is, Apple still gets lots of press, you still can't walk in and walk out with exactly what u want. So there.

10. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It might also be true that the iPhone is only as boring as the user.

11. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I think that iOS is the most exciting operating system out of all of them if you haven't used it, but once you have, the upgrade isn't as exciting, even if it is quite a leap (I've just upgraded from my 4 (first iPhone) to a 5s.

The iPhone is fairly standard these days with such a high number of users, but I think that only encourages people who haven't tried iOS to want an iPhone even more.

12. Frozzie macrumors regular

Unfortunately Apple hasn't got competition strong enough to motivate them enough to bring something new anymore... Frustrating but what can you do when no company can give apple a run for their money in terms of innovation.

I just wish there was another company that cared as much as Apple on designing and innovation, unfortunately money is the only priority for likes of samsung lg etc.

13. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Bingo! If I get a new computer, I don't really spend a lot of time playing with the hardware. I don't waste a lot of time fooling with new OS's either (beyond checking out the new features). A computer without software is just a boring hunk of metal. I fail to understand why a phone is treated any differently. Without apps (software), it's about as exciting as my office phone. And this is coming from a software developer, not someone who can barely email. I'm a tech nut.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Are you serious?

15. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. And yea, the better apps you have the better the experience.

16. applefan777 macrumors newbie

I think it's getting pretty boring, especially without a jailbreak. As mentioned it's just a phone and I don't think it's worth the $650 investment anymore. Not going to buy another iPhone next time.

17. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

It's funny how things are exciting when they don't work right and boring when they do. The platform should get out of the way and let you do what you need to do. For the most part it does that.

As others have said, it's about the apps. And the app selection is second to none.

Boring? Nope.

18. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Never used Android but my first experience with IOS (6) was OK, exciting? no.

IO6 -

Why can't I have folders?

Why aren't the icons dynamically updated, like show me the clock icon with the current time? That "goiter" they put on the calendar icon is so after-thought.

Why can't I get rid of the bookshelf?

If IOS is the son of OSX, why can't I have Alias icons?

Music player: RW and FF not at the same positions when full blown vs called up by double-home. Inconsistency bad, forces me to look.

Music player again: I keep accidentally hitting the reply/shuffle/2x buttons because they are too close to the RW and FF.

And on and on.

I do like the reflecting dock, which they got rid of in IOS7. :(

It's OK, but impressed? nope.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Boring ? iPhone is the only smartphone I'd like to buy, every year.

S2 , s3 , s4 , s5 .... and so on are just more of the same for me.

20. fluidpusher macrumors newbie

****ing old people and retarded kids have ruined them for me.

21. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

22. praveenchandra macrumors newbie

I think, It's not boring. But, Every time we can search for the latest things and awesome features in the iPhone. Because, more interest will be created to knowing the latest features. Generally, Many of them are enjoying the both the old and new features in an iPhone. Wandering for new things is quite common natural for many of them in various gadgets..

23. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Have these kind of threads become boring? Absolutely, but it depends on the content. See, if the content of these threads vary, then it won't feel boring. Same for the iPhone, if the apps change and vary over time then no, it hasn't become boring at all.

24. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Agreed.

Apple needs to appreciate the value jailbreaking brings to their products.

Instead of patching they should endorse jailbreaking. In fact remove the taboo associated with JB and sell the Cydia App on the AppStore!!

My iPhone 5 was recently stolen and I will replaced with a S4, purely because I couldn't find a 5 on 6.1.2/0.1/0.2 to jailbreak.

I love the freedom and flexibility of Android but miss the ease of use, fluidity and stability of iOS.

The 5" screen, although daunting at first, quickly becomes a necessity of future upgrades.

To conclude, Apple need to go bigger and Apple need the creativity of the jailbreak community to compensate where theirs lacks and/or is stifled by company policy.

25. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

You make a good point.

iOS 7 really has spruced things up a bit and with the new look being incorporated into 3rd party apps, things are looking fresher than they have for a longtime.

Still, can't help but think that a little homescreen bling could go a long way to satisfying some of the easily distracted users.

Icon packs for one!! Surely these could be sold on the AppStore and activated in settings>icon packs>mios/boss/noki/elitehd pro/jaku/...

How about a custom carrier label option? Or icon label on/off option? Or animation on/off option?

Take the Springtomize app for jailbreakers for example. A lightweight application that incorporates a plethora of settings for the user to customize the look and feel of his/her iDevice.

Very doable you would agree?