Has the iPhone increased sales for iMac and MB?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IBradMac, Jun 26, 2009.

1. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Did using the iphone persuade or convince you to buy a Mac?

2. xxshawnxx macrumors member

It's a fact that more people have been open to purchasing other apple products after purchasing an iphone. I would have never thought I would purchase an apple product 4 years ago...Man, how things have changed.

3. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Not me, since I had the iMac first, but I know quite a few who it did convince to switch to a Mac.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I have a friend who got an iPhone and soon purchased an iMac and Macbook.

5. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

It got me to switch. Although it was the iPod Touch that I had. I was originally thinking of getting a good gaming rig, but the iPod Touch convinced me to get a MacBook, and I was getting tired of Windows. I'm glad I switched.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

Convinced me. I'd wanted one since they made the move to nextstep, particularly after the intel switch. Since i wanted to develop for iPhone, i finally had an excuse to buy a mac. Two years later, and I just bought a second mac for my wife. And after SL is released I'll be replacing 2 windows servers with a mac pro.

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I think it has increased sales, people like how good the iphone is, and they also look into all of apple products.

8. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I've wanted an iMac for about 5 years. Having the iPhone makes me want to upgrade now more than ever.

9. Titan12 macrumors regular

It definately convinced me. I really liked the interface, and the way the OS functioned. I was also taken by Apples product presentation in general. Ive had friends on mac for a while, but until my first experience with Apple, I wasnt convinced.

10. sidebox macrumors member

sidebox

I definitely switched from dells to apples after getting the iphone last summer. By September I ditched my XPS M170 and got my MacBook Pro. The operating system on the iphone convinced me I was wasting time with windows.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The only reason I'd like to get a mac is so that I can develop apps for the iPhone. However, I'll just get a mini.

12. camarobh macrumors 6502

I was an original Apple II customer way back when, before disc drives, then moved on to DOS and then Windows. Bought the first gen iPhone on launch day, and since then have been all Apple.

13. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I forgot about this graph that they showed at WWDC. It's a little blurry, but you can read it. It really shows how much the iPhone and iPod Touch have encouraged people to switch.

14. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Interesting...

I actually had a MBP before purchasing an iPhone. However, around Christmas time I purchased first gen iPhone for my girlfriend. I probably used and played with it more than her! :p

15. fid macrumors newbie

Sure it has. I can speak to this with personal experience. I was in the Apple store on Tues looking for the new iPhone, as were 80 other people. They had run out a couple of hours before. People were buying computers instead.

I even bought the spouse a new MBP 15" because I'm so impressed with the battery life.

16. cere macrumors 6502

Absolutely it has. The iPod did somewhat have a halo effect, but nowhere near as much as the iPhone has. I have a couple friends that bought iPods years ago and each has purchased at least 2 Macs since. With the iPhone, at the very least you now have developers buying Macs to develop the apps on (one of my co-workers has done this). I have at least 5 other co-workers that have bought iPhones and at least 3 of them now have Macs.

17. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

I used to be and ignarant apple hater untill i got an iphone now i have an imac, apple tv, and time capsule

up next is macbook and maybe ill even start to eat apples instead of oranges

18. chox99 macrumors regular

It did it for me. I used call Apple "toys" and always told people to buy real computer not pretty toys.:D I was impressed with my iPhone 2G and bought MBP and 3GS. I like MBP+WinXP but not so much love for 3GS:(.

19. Switz213 macrumors 6502

God, I love improper english. You played with the iPhone more than you played with her :p

20. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Good catch!

You can certainly tell its Friday. :D

21. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I was eyeballin' the iPhone before the MBP but my tragic, tragic Dell death speed up the MBP purchase. But my iPhone purchase can be attributed to other Apple purchases. I have had a couple iPods here and there but this was the most 'recent' activity:

Thanksgiving 2008: Unibody 15" MacBook Pro (told myself I had to have it to pass finals ;) and it worked!)

Christmas Eve 2008: iPhone 3G 8GB

Christmas Day 2008: Time Capsule 1TB

March 2009: Apple TV 140GB

June 19th 2009: iPhone 3GS 32GB

Future: Whatever new products are released I am sure....

22. Sebby macrumors 6502a

The iPhone made me switch to a Mac. It introduced me to the Apple way of life.

23. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

:D I thought that was intentional.

24. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I see the iPhone as the 'gateway drug' of Apple. They show you how wonderful, smooth and stable OS X is running on the iPhone and pretty soon you find yourself thinking about a Mac.

I never would have considered a Mac before owning the iPhone.

Since getting my first iPhone 8 months ago I have purchased for myself, family and friends;

2 Mac Minis
    1 iMac 4850
    1 MBP 17"

As well as many of my friends getting an iPhone too.

I definitely see the iPhone as a major part of Apple strategy to shift the market and get them more users in the desktop and laptop space.

25. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Not necessarily me getting an iPhone that made me want a Mac.

I got an iPhone, came to this website. This website made me want a Mac:p