Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think? Has the iPhone lost its value? I want to hear your opinion!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iBoyfriend

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
iBoyfriend here, and I sure think it has. February 21, 2011; the day I bought my first iPhone ever, the 16GB iPhone 4. The price I paid? $420. I honestly thought it was worth every penny, because this phone is an amazing piece of technology. I still have it today as I see no reason why I should upgrade to the iPhone 4S, I prefer to wait until the next generation iPhone is released. When the news of the iPhone 4S came out I was shocked at the starting selling price that the phone would go for. It was far below the amount I paid for my iPhone 4 at the beginning of this year. I was totally fine with it though, I didn't have a problem with it because I knew that I wouldn't be upgrading my phone to a 4S.

About two weeks after the iPhone 4S' release I started to notice something. There were more people with iPhones in my school. Last school year (my 9th grade year) there was only about 6 or 7 kids who had an iPhone in my class (of 2014 :D) which included me. Now this year (my 10th grade year :D) I have noticed that there are more and more people with iPhones. People who I thought couldn't afford an iPhone (I'm talking middle class and lower class people here!) have iPhone 4S's! It's truly amazing really. Now in my class (of 2014 :D!) there are about 16-20 kids with iPhones now (4S). I don't know if this is because Sprint was added to the list of Apple authorized carriers or if it's because of the price change...? I'm extremely confused about this strange phenomena.

What do you think? Has the iPhone lost its value? I want you know what you think! Please take the time to vote in my poll! :D

--About the editor:)--
iBoyfriend is a high school student from rural southern California. He enjoys reading about Apple news and is a very firm believer in the 1st amendment. ;)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You failed to mention the price of the 4s. Of the price of the 4s is lower than the price of the 4 (on same network and contract) then the iPhone has 'lost value' I guess. But who cares? The cheaper Apple stuff is, the better IMO. They're overpriced enough.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
That's how the cycle works. Newer products decreases the value of the older products...I think you'll see this cycle for the rest of your life. Get with it is my advice. :D

P.S.

You win some, you lose some, as long as you played, that's what counted.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump

What do you think? Has the iPhone lost its value? I want you know what you think! Please take the time to vote in my poll! :D

iBoyfriend is a high school student from rural southern California. He enjoys reading about Apple news and is a very firm believer in the 1st amendment. ;)

High school journalism student?

Value and price are generally two different propositions. If the iPhone remains a high-end piece of technology, but it's price decreases, then one could say the value has increased because of the difference in price versus expectation.

I'd argue that the iPhone continues to increase it's value. I bought two for the price of the first one, and the iPhone 4S is far better than the 3GS and 3G I replaced.

jmnikricket

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
Yea, that didn't come off as elitist

This. If by value you mean value as a social status symbol, I'm right there with you. Smartphones in general no longer function this way like they did a few years ago. If you want to have something flashy and unique, go with a Rolex or a new Camaro :rolleyes:

I think entering high school is the first time parents can justify buying a nice phone for their kids. And given that your network of friends expands farther away from home, and there are the lures of drugs, alcohol, and sex, many families independent of socio-economic status see keeping in touch as a worthwhile expendeture. I'd guess they all went with iPhones because it has a proven track record, and it's a justifyable compromise between the money and the phone all the kiddies want with the ability to track you that the parents want ;)

LoveSteve

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2011
iBoyfriend here, and I sure think it has. February 21, 2011; the day I bought my first iPhone ever, the 16GB iPhone 4. The price I paid? $420. I honestly thought it was worth every penny, because this phone is an amazing piece of technology. I still have it today as I see no reason why I should upgrade to the iPhone 4S, I prefer to wait until the next generation iPhone is released. When the news of the iPhone 4S came out I was shocked at the starting selling price that the phone would go for. It was far below the amount I paid for my iPhone 4 at the beginning of this year. I was totally fine with it though, I didn't have a problem with it because I knew that I wouldn't be upgrading my phone to a 4S.

About two weeks after the iPhone 4S' release I started to notice something. There were more people with iPhones in my school. Last school year (my 9th grade year) there was only about 6 or 7 kids who had an iPhone in my class (of 2014 :D) which included me. Now this year (my 10th grade year :D) I have noticed that there are more and more people with iPhones. People who I thought couldn't afford an iPhone (I'm talking middle class and lower class people here!) have iPhone 4S's! It's truly amazing really. Now in my class (of 2014 :D!) there are about 16-20 kids with iPhones now (4S). I don't know if this is because Sprint was added to the list of Apple authorized carriers or if it's because of the price change...? I'm extremely confused about this strange phenomena.

I think you just want to say owning an iPhone is not long an STATUS symbol. You may enjoy to showoff your iPhone to your classmates and also show your status. You are upset not because iPhone lost its value but your status.

shame on you!!

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
The only "value" that iPhones may have lost (if any) with their new level of ubiquity is a little bit of resale value. I would imagine that simple supply and demand would mean that the more used iPhones there are on the market, the lower the price.

Last edited:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think you just want to say owning an iPhone is not long an STATUS symbol. You may enjoy to showoff your iPhone to your classmates and also show your status. You are upset not because iPhone lost its value but your status.

That's what this sounds like. The OP is befuddled as to how those icky middle and lower class people can afford the iPhone. It's a very childish mindset, but then again, the OP is still a child. When I was in school, it was certain clothing or shoe brands (Nautica, Hilfiger, Polo, Nike) that served as status symbols. I guess the iPhone fills that role for today's kids.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa

shame on you!!
What?!? Where do you read that the OP is "upset"?? Good lord... Judgemental much?

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
I think you are doing something many journalists tend to do: Find a simple, easy answer to a complex question.

First, 16-20 students in a high school is not a large number. Second, what affect has your local economy had on the issue? I can't speak for where you live, but in many areas of the country, the economy has improved (not a lot, but a little) and luxury items are selling better. Third, are you sure they are all iPhone 4s? The iPhone 4 (looks exactly the same) is now only $99 with a two-year contract. That price point opens the phone up to a much larger market. Fourth, yes the phone being available on more carriers will make a difference.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
absolutely fascinating post. incredible even.

You are upset not because iPhone lost its value but your status.

it certainly sounds like that. Heaven forbid middle class or lower class poeple owning an iphone lol. I still cant believe i read that.

I've been researching all the smartphones heavily before buying i came to the conclusion that iphones are way way overpriced. It really does seem to attract the status symbol crowd who don't know much about technology. Its the same reason ive never owned an apple laptop you can get the same spec for half the price with windows 7.

Apple slaps on an extra 80% markup and people like the OP think theyre buying something special. Marketing geniuses i'll give them that.

Have you ever thought that competition from android & companies like HTC, Samsung & motorola has forced apple to be more competetive? just a thought.

p.s the iphones those kids have are probably their parents old ones after they upgraded to a galaxy s2 lol Sales stats show iphone sales are growing in line with the smartphone market. Android is way above that but we're talking diffirent class of device ( low end android phones etc)

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
to me the iPhone is like a Swiss army knife of information, and that is where its value rests. Indeed, I really do not want to be around people who judge the worth of somebody on the basis of the phone the carry (nor their clothes, car or house for that matter). I got the iPhone in spite of the fact that young people view it as some sort of status symbol.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Urgh.

Urgh.

Skream

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
So now that everyone at school has one you're stuck finding new ways to get the cool kids to notice you?

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
And more kids will have iPhones next year and the year after and so on.

As long as I can sell my old iPhone for more than what I bought it, then it has held its value.

iBoyfriend

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
This. If by value you mean value as a social status symbol, I'm right there with you. Smartphones in general no longer function this way like they did a few years ago. If you want to have something flashy and unique, go with a Rolex or a new Camaro :rolleyes:

I think entering high school is the first time parents can justify buying a nice phone for their kids. And given that your network of friends expands farther away from home, and there are the lures of drugs, alcohol, and sex, many families independent of socio-economic status see keeping in touch as a worthwhile expendeture. I'd guess they all went with iPhones because it has a proven track record, and it's a justifyable compromise between the money and the phone all the kiddies want with the ability to track you that the parents want ;)

OMG I like totally agree with you!

@rwilliams It sure does fill the role :$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.