Has the iPhone replaced your need for an iPod?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drag'nGT, Sep 16, 2010.

?

Has your iPhone replaced your iPod?

1. Yes

175 vote(s)
    79.9%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. I have more than one iPod/mp3 player

21 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I have realized that I no longer want any of the new iPods. I can't justify needing one because I have my iPhone with me everywhere I go and it's plenty large enough to keep the new music I want to hear on it.

Many people point out that the saturation of iPods and other mp3 music players has slowed over the years. So I'm curious if the iPhone has replaced the iPod for most of us.

Yes, no? What other iPod do you use and why?

I have an iPod Shuffle for exercise or working outside. It clips on my hat and the ear buds stay up in the cap outta my face and off my arm or chest like the jogging straps do.

2. King Luis macrumors 6502

i used to have a ipod and regular cell phone. after buying an iphone, my ipod went to my car and my iphone replaced my ipod which i listened to all the time at work.

3. ianham macrumors member

ianham

Agree with the exercise statement. There's no way I'm taking my iPhone on a run with me, it's way too heavy.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a 30GB iPod with video that I hardly ever use anymore.

5. 184550 Guest

This is exactly what I've done. I have an iPhone that holds all my music and I have a shuffle for working out.

6. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

No. I carry a large part of my music collection on my 120GB iPod Classic. My iPhone only holds a small portion of it.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

For the most part, but I'd still like a 64 or 128 so I could put most or all of my music on it.

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The iPhone covers all my music listening needs, so there is no justification in getting an iPod device. If I didn't have an iPhone I would get an iPod Touch. The other models are good but I like having iOS devices.

9. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

For every day listening yes but I do have a 5.5G iPod 30GB that I leave attached to my car stereo 24/7. I only put what I really like listening too on my iPhone. Every single song goes on my iPod.

10. BDoggPrelude macrumors regular

BDoggPrelude

I was stuck in the dark ages still burning CD's before I got my 16GB 3GS. I used it for music so much that I decided to go for the 32GB model when I got my iP4. I don't see the need for an iPod as well for myself though. I always have my phone on me and wouldn't want to carry 2 devices.

11. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

No, I still use my iPod Classic. When I have a 160GB+ iPhone, then we'll talk.

12. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

As soon as I got an iPhone I ceased to use my iPod Touch. It was sold almost immediately. Now that I have more music than ever, I have an iPod Classic that sits in the car with about 50 GB of music on it. On my iPhone, I limit myself to about 20 GB.

13. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

I still use my nano 4g and will be buying the 6g!

Using the iPhone as an iPod just drains too much battery for me.

14. bobright macrumors 601

+3 getting sweat all over your phone trying to change a track , yuck lol

just ordered a new shuffle today should serve the workout purpose

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Even if they made an iPhone with enough storage I'd still rather use my iPod classic as a music player.

Most days when I go out to work I've got my old iPod photo in the car, my classic connected to the speakers on my desk and my iPhone in my pocket. :D

16. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I voted 'yes,' because I no longer use my iPod.

I still keep it around though, because it contains a full backup of my music collection. My iPhone does not hold all of my music.

I was extremely disappointed that there was not a 64 GB iPhone 4 option available. It would have been nice to sell my iPod.

17. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The iPhone is a bit too bulky to be used in conjunction with exercising (this is where the nano and the shuffle fit in nicely).

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yes, considering I don't have a large music library anymore. Ever since the Napster days over ten years ago, I've probably accumulated over 3,000+ songs not including my 100+ CD library of burned songs. I am very picky where quality is more important than quantity. The problem is my computer crashing or burning out that I would lose them every 2-3 years. All my downloaded Napster/Morpheus/Kazaa/Limewire songs lost somewhere in a CD-R or a computer/iPod I gave away or sold.

I don't listen to music like I used to. Not as hardcore. I've become a casual music listener during the last few years. With music, I can always stream and can find more obscure songs on YouTube. My music only takes about 2GB in my phone now. I say about 6-7GB max if I ever get all the music I want on my phone. Some of the older songs I like back then in high school/college, I could care less having them again. Maybe for some reminiscing, but I don't need all of them everyday. Music is not a big deal to me at the age of 29. It doesn't mean I still can't enjoy them. Another form of entertainment to kill the down time. But from age 12 - 23, music was so important to me. Been spoiled by the 80's music plus my eclectic taste and excellent tape mixes.

19. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I use my iPhone for email, web work and other non music related tasks. The battery life of the iPhone will not support using it as a music player for those like myself that use it a lot during the day.

I have an iPod classic that I use for two main tasks. Music and computer files.

20. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

if you are a music collector, there is no way an iphone could replace your need for a large iPod.

i have a full 160GB iPod and a nearly full 16gb iPhone. i plan on purchasing a second 160GB soon.

21. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

It was one of the main reasons I decided to get an iPhone. I wanted one since they came out, but with my job at the time, I had a computer and therefore access to my email and calendar. I always had my iPod and phone with and having one would have been more a of a luxury. Last year I switched jobs and am no longer at a desk. So when my contract ran out this summer, I got an iPhone equally for the phone, iPod, calendar and email.

My iPod Touch is now basically used for my kids music and games and my Shuffle is for when I go jogging.

22. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Yup yup, I still use my iPod for music

23. asr10 user macrumors regular

I agree with others. If you listen to enough music and your ipod is your life, nothing can replace it. I have a 160gb and plan on getting a few more when the classics get phased out.

24. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

I hope Apple doesn't phase out the classic, but it seems like they will....

25. mokeiko macrumors 6502

+1

I feel the same way

mokeiko